FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   If anyone can help please... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/442198-if-anyone-can-help-please.html)

Strawb Jun 10, 2005 6:46 pm

If anyone can help please...

I'm trying to trace a relative whom I've never met living in Canada. Her last known address was in Calagary. We lost contact with her and her family in 1993. A few months ago I found her address and sent her a letter to get in touch but the Canadian postal service returned my letter. I have searched online and I cannot trace her. I have called international directories and phoned up several residences in Calgary and Edmonton with the same surname (which is not very common) but to no avail.

So I'm thinking of travelling to Canada. For the first time. Is there anywhere I can ask for help and information when I get there? I'm in the early stages of planning this trip to Calgary and Edmonton. I know the exact address where she used to live so I'll be visiting that area. Of course, she might be married by now, which will make it all the harder to find her but I have to try. If anyone can help me please I would be so grateful. Thank you so much.

Edited to request:
Moderator - please move this to the Canada forum. Sorry, my mistake.

YVR Cockroach Jun 13, 2005 4:37 pm

You can try canada411.com and telus.net for phone directory listings nationwide. That'd only be good if she has and lists her copper wire telephone service under her own name (e.g., she may not have a listed phone number if she shares a place). It's not uncommon for those with land lines to unlist their numbers. If they have cellular phone service only (increasingly common), they probably won't be listed either

It's also not uncommon for people to move, especially out of province so extend your search to all provinces and territories.

Good luck in your search.

Strawb Jun 13, 2005 5:24 pm

Much appreciated terenz. I tried canada411.com some time ago but only searched Alberta which didn't provide any leads (well, they lead to nothing anyway). I didn't think about searching other provinces so thanks for that tip. I'll try telus.net as well. Problem is, Canada is so big and I really don't know if I can find her. It's my late father's neice I'm trying to trace.

If anyone has anymore advice then please don't hesitate to post! Thanks again. :)

number_6 Jun 13, 2005 10:54 pm

http://www.reunion.com is a possibility for people that want to be found (for things like school reunions). Google search on her name might work if it really is uncommon. Of course this only finds things she might have on the web (like a web sight or newsgroup postings using her real name). Finally if you are desperate and willing to spend some money there are professionals who will search for you for a fee (several hundred dollars) though I have no idea if this is any better than searches you could conduct yourself. Some libraries have old phone books in their archives, you might be able to find a listing for her from 1990 which might give a address to start with, for example.

Strawb Jun 14, 2005 2:52 pm

number_6 thanks for the link. I checked it out but I have absolutely no idea what school she went to. I'll definitely check out the libraries whilst I'm over there. Cheers

Dmarsh11 Jul 18, 2005 8:57 pm

I don't suppose you have any other info, like type of work, age of kids, spouse name or type of employment. There are a number of security services that may have computer access. $30 or so will allow you to do a credit check. There are a number of online "detective" agencies, but I don't know of ny good ones.

parnel Jul 19, 2005 4:44 pm

I would try a local Canadian church group like the Salvation Army who do have a list of places that give out that info or do it themselves, I believe.

There is also a dept in the canadian government that can possibly help but with the new privacy laws who knows what they can tell you.

Writing to a local Calgary MP and explaining the circumstances might also get you some ideas.

Here's one to try:

Diane Ablonczy

Federal Political Experience

Political Affiliation: Conservative Caucus

Constituency: Calgary—Nose Hill

Province: Alberta

Telephone: (613) 996-2756

Fax: (613) 992-2537

Email: [email protected]

Strawb Jul 22, 2005 10:19 am

I don't suppose you have any other info, like type of work, age of kids, spouse name or type of employment.
I'm afraid I don't have any information on her at all except her name. I've never spoken to her in my life. Thanks for the idea though Dmarsh11.

And thanks for those suggestions parnel, I might e-mail Diane later but, as you say, those privacy laws might be tricky.

parnel Jul 22, 2005 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by UK flyer
I'm afraid I don't have any information on her at all except her name. I've never spoken to her in my life. Thanks for the idea though Dmarsh11.

And thanks for those suggestions parnel, I might e-mail Diane later but, as you say, those privacy laws might be tricky.

The privacy laws not withstanding her office will most likely refer you to some organization who can match you to the relatives and ask their permission before hooking you both up. So, I would make the contact.