Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why is Edmonton such a hotel black hole?

Why is Edmonton such a hotel black hole?

Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:54 pm

executive Inn

Has anyone tried the Executive Inn in Edmonton? Is it reasonable?
Old Apr 25, 2004, 6:05 am
At Large

Originally Posted by jimmac
Has anyone tried the Executive Inn in Edmonton? Is it reasonable?
I believe there are two of them in YEG one at the airport and one on the westside of town. I have stayed at the one near the airport and it is fine and reasonably priced.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 7:13 am

The Coast Hotel on 105th is also very nice.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Silver
I usually stay at a place called Tower on the Park Apartment Hotel. Suites with full kitchen, breakfast included, overall nice. It does not compare with any of the major hotel chains, but I like it as it is conveniently located 50meters from a subway stop, close to the Legislative Assembly.
See http://www.toweronthepark.com
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Originally Posted by exAC
Is the Thorton Court any good??? I have never been inside the lobby to know, but I was wondering if you would reccommend it to friends or just to in-laws.
The rooms are very spacious and some offer spectacular views of the River Valley. It is located next to the Shaw Conference Centre. Rates are quite reasonable when I checked it out for a client's upcoming stay. The restaurant on main floor has an incredible patio that IMO has one of the best view of the Saskatchewan River. I heard Alanis Morrisette stayed there during the Juno Award 2004
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:32 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Carrying forward for ease-of-search-in-the-future-sake...

Have early morning interview at YEG (at the airport). Contemplating staying in Nisku/Leduc. Any hotel recommendations there? I haven't really stayed at a bad HI Express yet, although its in Nisku
Old Jul 7, 2004, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Haven't stayed there but it looks like a decent, fairly new property.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 6:16 am
At Large

The Royal executive Inn is one I use often and is quite reasonable and closest to airport~$95 plus tax last time and hi speed internet.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
No, I don't have an MBA, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night...

Well, if it's for that consulting job interview, and given the ads HIXpress has been running on TV, that decision would seem a no-brainer... Good luck.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Just thought I'd update this thread with the news that Hilton is back in business in YEG. Well, at least a Hilton Garden Inn:

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/s...questid=750599
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Good Chains Are Tough To Find...

The Westin is priced right but in my mind, not SPG quality. For the money (less than $100 CAD), I try to use the Holiday Inn Express downtown. Great location, nice rooms, high speed internet, OK continental breakfast, nice pool (albeit small) and hot tub, smallish workout area etc. You can collect Priority points and then convert them to Air Miles (1 AM for every $5 spent if I recall). If you want something nicer - but no points - try Canterra Suite hotel on Jasper Ave & 110th St. Full kitchen suites, high speed internet, berber carpets, fireplace, 1-2 bedrooms, terry cloth robes etc - rates anywhere from $100-150. Edmonton also has opened a few new boutique hotels like Canterra but, unfortunately, I don't know much about them.

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:36 pm

Union Bank Inn

Last time I was in Edmonton, I tried the Union Bank Inn.

http://www.unionbankinn.com/

IIRC, I paid $149 for the room, and that included breakfast plus a plate of cheese and a glass of wine delivered to my room in the evening. The rooms are a tad bit small, but certainly not tiny, otherwise it was terrific. My only real beef was parking - they only have a handful of spaces available for indoor, during the day parking.

The hotel is located beside the Telus building on Jasper.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:57 pm
At Large

I stay at the Delta Edmonton South for under $100 with free heated indoor parking and good hi speed internet. There are good restaurants all around there and its easy to downtown, the west end, east end and the airport since its right a tthe Whitemud.
I've also had over 5000 bonus aeroplan miles from Delta this year in their last promo and with platinum status also get a bunch of upgrades and a $300 free spend on their card.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
There is also a Crowne Plaza in downtown Edmonton.

I have also noticed that a hotel is being converted into a Courtyard by Marriott.

Speaking of Edmonton and Hamilton.. What is the population for each?
Old Sep 12, 2004, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Scott218
There is also a Crowne Plaza in downtown Edmonton.

I have also noticed that a hotel is being converted into a Courtyard by Marriott.

Speaking of Edmonton and Hamilton.. What is the population for each?
With a population of just under 938,000 at the time of the 2001 Census of Canada, the Edmonton CMA is the sixth largest metropolitan region in Canada.

http://www.edmonton.com/statistics/page.asp?page=84

according to the 2001 Census, Hamilton’s population is 490,270 - after adjusting for the Census undercount, Hamilton's population is estimated to be over 503,000

http://www.city.hamilton.on.ca/Plann...nformation.asp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.