Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Didn't pickup luggage at customs :(

Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Yesterday I flew MIA-ATL-YYC-YCD. Was I supposed to pick up luggage and recheck it at YYC? My luggage didn't show up at YCD, and I filed a missing luggage form. Now I'm reading online that I possibly should have picked up and rechecked my luggage at YYC when going through customs. I bought my tickets from Delta, but only flew Delta the first leg, the rest was Westjet. No one at customs mentioned rechecking luggage and I didn't see sign, but it was also a long day and I was pretty exhausted by the time I got to YYC.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
It is/was usually announced in flight whether bags have to be retrieved or not in the last 1/2 hr of flight (not that I noticed any announcement on my WS flight to YVR last weekend - thankfully bags made it to YYJ).
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:51 am

Programs: Free agent!
Since OP went through immigration at YYC, it seems weird that the officer didn't ask if OP had any luggage. Obviously they don't have to ask but I would think that it would be unusual for a traveller on a MIA-ATL-YYC-YCD itinerary to not have any luggage. This isn't exactly a LGA-YYZ itinerary where I would imagine that a significant about of passengers would only have hand carried luggage.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Since OP went through immigration at YYC, it seems weird that the officer didn't ask if OP had any luggage. Obviously they don't have to ask but I would think that it would be unusual for a traveller on a MIA-ATL-YYC-YCD itinerary to not have any luggage. This isn't exactly a LGA-YYZ itinerary where I would imagine that a significant about of passengers would only have hand carried luggage.
CBSA Canadian entry is a two-step process; you meet an officer at "immigration" with your filled-out form from the kiosk with your photo.
Then, you go through baggage claim and exit, where another CBSA officer collects your marked-up form. This officer just collects the form and directs you out to the terminal or secondary.
kevincrumbs likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:36 am
Original Poster

My luggage was delivered to my home last night! Yesterday the baggage tracking showed it visited LAX for a short time, I guess it wasn't ready to come back from vacation.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
One wonders if your bag(s) got lost along the way and would have showed up in YCD if it had made the connections.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.