Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Favourite nonstop travel destination from YVR?

Favourite nonstop travel destination from YVR?

Old Jan 30, 2023, 12:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 26
Question Favourite nonstop travel destination from YVR?

I've been living in BC, Canada for more than two decades and so far, I've travelled to one-way destinations like:

Oahu, Hawaii
LA, USA
Las Vegas, USA
etc

My wife and I are thinking of a short getaway for 4 nights/5 day stay somewhere we have not travelled so far. Any recommendations of one-way flight from YVR that is relatively short travel (5-6 flight hour time), such as Oahu, Hawaii? Thanks!
lokihardt is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2023, 4:43 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,164
Originally Posted by lokihardt
I've been living in BC, Canada for more than two decades and so far, I've travelled to one-way destinations like:

Oahu, Hawaii
LA, USA
Las Vegas, USA
etc

My wife and I are thinking of a short getaway for 4 nights/5 day stay somewhere we have not travelled so far. Any recommendations of one-way flight from YVR that is relatively short travel (5-6 flight hour time), such as Oahu, Hawaii? Thanks!
Savannah, GA. Charleston, SC. New Orleans, LA. Nashville, TN. Amelia Island, FL. Believe it or not we thoroughly enjoyed Omaha, NE (at the right time of year).

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jan 30, 2023 at 11:53 am
sydneyracquelle is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:49 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YXU/YYZ
Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Posts: 598
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Savannah, GA. Charleston, SC. New Orleans, LA. Nashville,TN. Amelia Island, FL. Believe it or not we thoroughly enjoyed Omaha, NE (at the right time of year).
I can definitely second Charleston and NOLA both great spots. I'm not sure what the OP means by "one way"....non-stop?

Also depends on what you are looking for...sun? Visiting cool places? Time of year?
cavitron is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:04 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 29,505
Originally Posted by lokihardt
I've been living in BC, Canada for more than two decades and so far, I've travelled to one-way destinations like:

Oahu, Hawaii
LA, USA
Las Vegas, USA
etc

My wife and I are thinking of a short getaway for 4 nights/5 day stay somewhere we have not travelled so far. Any recommendations of one-way flight from YVR that is relatively short travel (5-6 flight hour time), such as Oahu, Hawaii? Thanks!
If you only traveled one-way to Oahu, how did you make it back to YVR to travel one-way to LAX or LAS?

Or are you asking about favorite nonstop destinations from YVR?
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:15 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Posts: 21,789
Originally Posted by guv1976
If you only traveled one-way to Oahu, how did you make it back to YVR to travel one-way to LAX or LAS?
Seasonally (and more importantly, not available every year), cruise ship.
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:19 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 29,505
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Seasonally (and more importantly, not available every year), cruise ship.
But not from LAS.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2023, 1:53 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Posts: 21,789
Originally Posted by guv1976
But not from LAS.
Don't be so sure

https://oceanskycruises.com/ ;}
guv1976 likes this.
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:24 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Programs: HH Silver
Posts: 56,434
Originally Posted by lokihardt
I've been living in BC, Canada for more than two decades and so far, I've travelled to one-way destinations like:

Oahu, Hawaii
LA, USA
Las Vegas, USA
etc

My wife and I are thinking of a short getaway for 4 nights/5 day stay somewhere we have not travelled so far. Any recommendations of one-way flight from YVR that is relatively short travel (5-6 flight hour time), such as Oahu, Hawaii? Thanks!
MEX
OGG

I agree that you should qualify your question as to whether it's 5 - 6 hours nonstop as the aforementioned destination in the Southern U.S. like SAV would require a connection making it more like 8-hours and hardly worth it for such a short stay. I'd also weight whether flying 6-hours for what could be only a 4-day stay is worth it as I've often found 4-nights doesn't always mean 5-days, more like 4-nights, 3-full days + an evening, maybe.

Also what time of year? I ask as escaping to YXY in Summer may hold more appeal with it's endless Summer days than the depths of Winter.

In short, I'm unsure you've shared enough info for us to share our best suggestions as good input usually yields good output.
asovse1 likes this.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2023, 12:32 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 26
I'm sorry...I meant to say non-stop!

Adding to tcook052 , our family usually travels April, September and December (3 seasons)
tcook052 likes this.

Last edited by lokihardt; Jan 31, 2023 at 12:33 am Reason: Providing more info to responders
lokihardt is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:54 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Programs: HH Silver
Posts: 56,434
Originally Posted by lokihardt
I'm sorry...I meant to say non-stop!

Adding to tcook052 , our family usually travels April, September and December (3 seasons)
Awesome! and thanks for the update.

I'm supremely fortunate to have travelled a bit and loved an April Maui escape a few years ago for the whale watching tours so would highly recommend a Spring escape to the island. I hopped a ferry across to neighboring Molokai and rented a bicycle to ride along the rugged but amazingly scenic southern coastal road which remains a very warm travel memory to this day. Maui is a year 'round destination as there's no real off season with poor weather although when you say December, Maui fills up for the Christmas & New Year's season very well in advance so keep that in mind unless you're planning an early Dec. escape.

Staying in the islands, LIH on Kauai is not as frequent a non-stop route as Maui however the island is far less touristy so there's a greater chance of exploring and finding the "real" Hawaii. It may sound like a cliché however there's a Hawaii I'd encourage you to seek out as the best memories I have are the random stops for shave ice or Spam specialties at a road side food truck. BTW don't be surprised at random wild chickens surrounding you while outdoor shopping in Lihue as it's kind of a local thing.

While I've never been, I've been close several times to pulling the trigger on a Mexico City extended weekend but am sure there are members who can share their experiences. It's a different kind of holiday and I'm less sure whether an ultra-urban mega-city escape is what you're seeking for a family holiday.

A few thoughts FWIW but regardless enjoy your family travels!
tcook052 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:26 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by tcook052
Awesome! and thanks for the update.

I'm supremely fortunate to have travelled a bit and loved an April Maui escape a few years ago for the whale watching tours so would highly recommend a Spring escape to the island. I hopped a ferry across to neighboring Molokai and rented a bicycle to ride along the rugged but amazingly scenic southern coastal road which remains a very warm travel memory to this day. Maui is a year 'round destination as there's no real off season with poor weather although when you say December, Maui fills up for the Christmas & New Year's season very well in advance so keep that in mind unless you're planning an early Dec. escape.

Staying in the islands, LIH on Kauai is not as frequent a non-stop route as Maui however the island is far less touristy so there's a greater chance of exploring and finding the "real" Hawaii. It may sound like a cliché however there's a Hawaii I'd encourage you to seek out as the best memories I have are the random stops for shave ice or Spam specialties at a road side food truck. BTW don't be surprised at random wild chickens surrounding you while outdoor shopping in Lihue as it's kind of a local thing.

While I've never been, I've been close several times to pulling the trigger on a Mexico City extended weekend but am sure there are members who can share their experiences. It's a different kind of holiday and I'm less sure whether an ultra-urban mega-city escape is what you're seeking for a family holiday.

A few thoughts FWIW but regardless enjoy your family travels!
Thanks for the input and wonderful information!
My wife and I were considering to travel to Maui this year but due to the massive hotel $$$ (although cheaper airline tickets), we are shifting our gears for Big Island (KOA) instead this April
You're absolutely on the spot where Maui is truly amazing and can't think of more beautiful place. Very different vibe than Waikiki!
lokihardt is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:05 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,995
Originally Posted by lokihardt
I'm sorry...I meant to say non-stop!

Adding to tcook052 , our family usually travels April, September and December (3 seasons)
May and September are positioning cruise season for Vancouver.
Or cheap cruises to Alaska.

I find vacationstogo.com has good filters.
Access for the price of your e-mail address and no spam.
tracon is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:55 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,682
Originally Posted by tracon
May and September are positioning cruise season for Vancouver.
Or cheap cruises to Alaska.

I find vacationstogo.com has good filters.
Access for the price of your e-mail address and no spam.
There are good reasons why Alaska cruises are very cheap beginning of May and Sept.
tentseller is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:36 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Posts: 2,415
There's no bad weather, only bad clothing - September Alaska cruises are wonderful
Hoyaheel is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:04 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,682
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
There's no bad weather, only bad clothing - September Alaska cruises are wonderful
Please enlighten me how to dress to combat FOG?
tentseller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.