FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/2104486-yvr-december-2022-snowstorm-impact.html)

Changeup2000 Dec 17, 2022 7:00 pm

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

AC informs me that YVR may be subject to snow tomorrow. My flight will be tomorrow afternoon from YYZ to YVR with confirmed J.

Anyone currently in Metro Vancouver can provide some insights on the weather there? Last time when it snowed, it appeared to be really bad.

I tried to do a SDC, but it appears only flights later than my original flight are provided. For standby, I am asked by the website to talk to an agent.

What is my chance of standbying for an early flight and still got upgraded to J? Can I refuse the standby if I cannot be upgraded to J? Thanks a lot!

Moderator note: until this post, this thread lived in the Air Canada forum. Members may therefore notice some more AC-specific information than would usually be posted in the Canada forum. But since the discussion has been wide-ranging and mostly about topics other than AC, the decision was made to move it.

tracon Dec 17, 2022 10:58 pm

This is the current aviation forecast for tomorrow.

FM181500 08006KT P6SM SCT020 BKN040 TEMPO 1815/1824 2SM -SHSN
OVC020
BECMG 1815/1817 27012G22KT
FM190000 10012KT P6SM SCT020 OVC050 TEMPO 1900/1912 5SM -SHSN
BKN020 OVC050

Light snow showers on and off for the day.

Not much to worry about.

tomvancouver Dec 18, 2022 10:39 am

well, the snow has started to fall in earnest. Only ~4cm so far where I live, and likely less at YVR where the elevation is less. Currently YVR is showing 30 minute delay, and I see significant delays of planes leaving YYZ (for YVR), so I'm guessing that you'll make it, likely with a delay. Good luck.

Sopwith Dec 18, 2022 11:52 am

Here’s the scene 3 nm south of YVR just now. ~1cm on the ground, still coming. Main roads are not bad, though.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1f176eb6d.jpeg

Short hair Francis Dec 18, 2022 11:54 am

Right now, its not bad near the airfield.
Places closer to the mountains are more uh...

There was supposed to be more snow on tuesday and thursday then monday anyway

The real snow question here always is IF YVR is your final destination, how do you get to wherever afterwards?
Snow + Hills = 🤯🤯

But you did miss the very rare thundersnow this morning 🙂

Changeup2000 Dec 18, 2022 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis (Post 34844523)
Right now, its not bad near the airfield.
Places closer to the mountains are more uh...

There was supposed to be more snow on tuesday and thursday then monday anyway

The real snow question here always is IF YVR is your final destination, how do you get to wherever afterwards?
Snow + Hills = 🤯🤯

But you did miss the very rare thundersnow this morning 🙂
https://mobile.twitter.com/50Shadeso...92629491605504

Yeah, I am a bit concerned for the traffic from the airport after I touch down. Not sure if the Fairmount will have any empty room by then. It appeared to be great chaos last time it snowed.

yulred Dec 18, 2022 12:00 pm

Watching Flightradar24, it looks pretty bad. Massive backlog of flights awaiting deicing. Around 2+ hr delays for departures with aircraft on the deicing stands for a while.

342 seems to have gone for a drive around the airport for 1.5hrs and returned to gate 39. Guess it ran out of fuel waiting.

Suppose it makes sense that YVR’s driving operation isn’t great.

Short hair Francis Dec 18, 2022 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Changeup2000 (Post 34844537)
Yeah, I am a bit concerned for the traffic from the airport after I touch down. Not sure if the Fairmont will have any empty room by then. It appeared to be great chaos last time it snowed.

Don't neglect the River Rock if Fairmont is out of room, that would be the 2nd place I would recommend trying
I would use the Canada Line if its under 10cm/4 inches, take advantage of the underground section to get to closer to where you need to go and onwards from there.

Worst case scenario, we'll see more twitter videos of Real-Life Bumper Car and Buses courtesy of "Richmond Learns to Park and Drive" 😆😆

pewpew Dec 18, 2022 12:16 pm

233 landed 1:15 late and then spent 15-20 mins waiting to be able to taxi to the gate. I kind of regret not going through YYC instead, but glad I have a 3 (jk, 4+ thanks to delays on my next flight) hour connection

Short hair Francis Dec 18, 2022 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 34844585)
233 landed 1:15 late and then spent 15-20 mins waiting to be able to taxi to the gate. I kind of regret not going through YYC instead, but glad I have a 3 (jk, 4+ thanks to delays on my next flight) hour connection

well that would explain this!
eek 😧

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...57278caae1.png

HerpaYvr Dec 18, 2022 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 34844514)
Here’s the scene 3 nm south of YVR just now. ~1cm on the ground, still coming. Main roads are not bad, though.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1f176eb6d.jpeg

in the prairies we called this frost!

sometimes a skiff, leaf blower took care of this or a broom, lol

yulred Dec 18, 2022 1:17 pm

I can see 2 AC flights that have gone for a drive around the airport before returning to gate. 272 and a Jazz flight. WS flights seem to be moving though.

108 left the gate at 10AM. It’s taxiing to the runway now, so around 2 hours to de-ice. It was on the deicing stand for at least 30 min. It’s not a lot of snow out in Richmond, but YVR seems to have lost control.

Bohemian1 Dec 18, 2022 1:26 pm

Admittedly we are on higher ground, but we already have 16cm on the ground. And still it snows.

I'm very happy we don't fly until Thursday.

Changeup2000 Dec 18, 2022 2:06 pm

It now seems not an issue about where to stay at YVR, but rather if I can get to YVR tonight in the first place.

My flight is further delayed to after 8pm. I am now worried about the possibility it will be further delayed into a red-eye flight. At least it has signature service.

Proactively checking flights into YYC and YEG, not good either.

Short hair Francis Dec 18, 2022 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by yulred (Post 34844732)
It’s not a lot of snow out in Richmond, but YVR seems to have lost control.

There was a stretch of 15-20 mins between 11:00-11:40 where there was heavy snow, so that's possible why YVR looks more like the JFK/LGA conga line.

Hopefully Tracon can give us an updated report later 🙂

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 34844747)
Admittedly we are on higher ground, but we already have 16cm on the ground. And still it snows.

I'm very happy we don't fly until Thursday.

You must be on the North Shore or Coquitlam side to have that much snow already. 😲
Its only about 2, maybe 2.5 inches on this side.

Bohemian1, sorry for the bearer of bad news but did you check the forecast for Thursday? 😅
Thursday is supposed to be the Snow>Rain Switchover day!