Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:10 pm
  #121  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Posts: 1,562
Originally Posted by Speedbird84
6 of the top 10 most watched flights on FR24 are YVR aircraft
CX838 has hit 6 hours on the taxiway now.
TK just arrived and has been added into the mix.
Are they bussing the pax? It appears to be the only viable solution right now.
Changeup2000 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:16 pm
  #122  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: YVR
Posts: 345
Originally Posted by eggsbenedict
I've had FR on a monitor in the background just watching YVR for the past hour or so just out of curiosity. I know nothing about airport operations, I'm curious to know what is the chokepoint at this point in time to get planes off the ground? Getting planes through de-icing? The same 3 planes seem to have been sat at de-icing for some time now after the AC566 to SFO made it through and took off.
Curious about the same thing as well.

BA and QF among others circled through the deicing pad last night and returned to the gate area pretty quickly.
Right after BA, AM got deiced and took off. About an hour or so later, both CI and MU A350s got deiced and took of as well.

All while a Canadian North plane sat on the deicing pad for about 6 hours and eventually gave up and returned to South Terminal after 3am. It ended up getting out of here earlier this afternoon.

Very confusing.

Edit: CX headed to a gate right at the 7 hour mark.

Last edited by Speedbird84; Dec 20, 2022 at 7:00 pm
Speedbird84 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:22 pm
  #123  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 260
Airport weather disasters seem to be quite common. Curious how airlines and airports recover. How is it organized to get planes and people (crew and passengers) to where they should be? Presume it depends on the degree of the disaster and the flex in the system, but what actually happens? Who/what gets priority, what are the limitations, what are reasonable expectations (and when are you being strung along)?

Was caught in the Pearson fog in September. Don't believe either airline or airports were the least bit interested in mitigating my issues.
annehamnitz is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:28 pm
  #124  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,069
Originally Posted by eggsbenedict
... I'm curious to know what is the chokepoint at this point in time to get planes off the ground? ....
I'm guessing it started last night when flights returned to the gate.
BA, B6, PR, NZ, QF, etc.
That fills up a lots of gates and takes manpower to unload the luggage.
The arrivals kept coming. Instead of open gates, there were occupied gates.
The flights that returned to the gates couldn't be towed off the gates. Maybe to much snow. Maybe no one to drive the tugs.
The arrivals kept coming....the ones from overseas...the ones you see now on FR24 waiting for gates.
The ground stop was put in early this morning or overnight at some point.
The snow stopped early this morning. The planes that were going flying were covered in it and took a long time to get through deice.
One freighter had 10 spray trucks on it at one point. Still took almost 30 minutes.

A few flights have trickled in and out. Not enough to keep the masses happy.

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Are they bussing the pax?
See what I wrote above.
But that's not a quick fix either.
There was a plan to deplane on the runway. Then someone figured out it was getting dark and lights would have to be sourced.
Might not happen now.

Hope your credit cards have delayed flight insurance.
That's not a quick fix either.
I'm still waiting for claims to process from summer delays.
tracon is online now  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:36 pm
  #125  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: YSC (and all its regularly scheduled flights)
Posts: 2,560
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd seriously just show up at the airport in the morning. The fact that you're not actually going to YVR should make this a lot easier for you.
I did not cancel my taxi reservation! Those are like gold in Kamloops. It will take about 5 minutes to pack, so not much to lose.
painintheuk is online now  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:39 pm
  #126  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,069
Originally Posted by annehamnitz
Airport weather disasters seem to be quite common. Curious how airlines and airports recover. How is it organized to get planes and people (crew and passengers) to where they should be? Presume it depends on the degree of the disaster and the flex in the system, but what actually happens? Who/what gets priority, what are the limitations, what are reasonable expectations (and when are you being strung along)?

Was caught in the Pearson fog in September. Don't believe either airline or airports were the least bit interested in mitigating my issues.
First of all, this isn't a disaster.
The roofs haven't collapsed, planes aren't sliding into the ditches.

It's becoming an emergency as planes waiting for gates run out of water and food.

An airline network is a complex web that will slowly get rebuilt...over a couple days.
In theory an airline will prioritize it's once/day international flights.
However those are the ones where crews can time out the easiest.

What was your issue in September? The airlines presumably want to get everyone to their destinations.
Might just not be at the speed you expect it to happen.
YOWgary likes this.
tracon is online now  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:44 pm
  #127  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Posts: 1,562
Originally Posted by tracon
I'm guessing it started last night when flights returned to the gate.
BA, B6, PR, NZ, QF, etc.
That fills up a lots of gates and takes manpower to unload the luggage.
The arrivals kept coming. Instead of open gates, there were occupied gates.
The flights that returned to the gates couldn't be towed off the gates. Maybe to much snow. Maybe no one to drive the tugs.
The arrivals kept coming....the ones from overseas...the ones you see now on FR24 waiting for gates.
The ground stop was put in early this morning or overnight at some point.
The snow stopped early this morning. The planes that were going flying were covered in it and took a long time to get through deice.
One freighter had 10 spray trucks on it at one point. Still took almost 30 minutes.

A few flights have trickled in and out. Not enough to keep the masses happy.
I agree with you that it appears the gates are possibly the main constraint today (also de-icing to some extent).

It appears a lot of 9M and 8P flights successfully flying out of YVR during the daytime, where other airlines just trickling out.

Presumably this is because they do not need the main terminal gates to fly out of YVR.
Changeup2000 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:47 pm
  #128  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: YSC (and all its regularly scheduled flights)
Posts: 2,560
Well, that's new. After 2:06 I was sure that the sound changed and I was sure that I was going to get an agent (estimate was 1:11 to 1:40 originally).

Instead it said something like, new hold time is 1:40 to something even longer, please wait while your call is transferred.

I'm going to give up, go to meet some friends at one of the many great local breweries in YKA, and show up at 0430 at the airport and see what happens! I'll bring snacks.
canadiancow likes this.
painintheuk is online now  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:00 pm
  #129  
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 16
Trying to change my flight to YVR. It fits the criteria of the winter storm free change advisory but the website still wants to charge me. Are there any ways around this, other than calling in?
jarjay92 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:10 pm
  #130  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: YVR
Posts: 345
Gates are definitely impeding inbound flights - for example, looks like CX had to wait for SQ to leave to take it's gate.

What doesn't make sense is why multiple aircraft turned around to the gate after getting on the deice pad last night, while others get deiced and took off in short order.

I imagine BA, QF, NZ and the like are taking up valuable gates which wouldn't have caused such a massive trickle down to later incoming int'l flights if they got deiced and left last night which CI, AM, and MU were able to do.

I suppose one explanation is crews timing out while waiting for deicing, but that's just a guess.
Speedbird84 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:15 pm
  #131  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by jarjay92
Trying to change my flight to YVR. It fits the criteria of the winter storm free change advisory but the website still wants to charge me. Are there any ways around this, other than calling in?
The only way I can think of is to go the airport. A higher risk approach is to pay for the change and than argue after the fact it should be refunded.
jarjay92 likes this.
YVR4Ever is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:19 pm
  #132  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: HKG/YVR/NYC
Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Posts: 3,697
Originally Posted by eggsbenedict
I've had FR on a monitor in the background just watching YVR for the past hour or so just out of curiosity. I know nothing about airport operations, I'm curious to know what is the chokepoint at this point in time to get planes off the ground? Getting planes through de-icing? The same 3 planes seem to have been sat at de-icing for some time now after the AC566 to SFO made it through and took off.
Originally Posted by tracon
I'm guessing it started last night when flights returned to the gate.
BA, B6, PR, NZ, QF, etc.
That fills up a lots of gates and takes manpower to unload the luggage.
The arrivals kept coming. Instead of open gates, there were occupied gates.
The flights that returned to the gates couldn't be towed off the gates. Maybe to much snow. Maybe no one to drive the tugs.
The arrivals kept coming....the ones from overseas...the ones you see now on FR24 waiting for gates.
The ground stop was put in early this morning or overnight at some point.
The snow stopped early this morning. The planes that were going flying were covered in it and took a long time to get through deice.
One freighter had 10 spray trucks on it at one point. Still took almost 30 minutes.
.
eggsbenedict, I'll add onto tracon comment a tiny bit here.
There's also the problem of where to put all those extra widebodies (assuming you could've tow them out during 1 inch an hour last night)
At least on the North side of the apron, you don't really see much real estate to put the planes anywhere.









Last edited by Short hair Francis; Dec 20, 2022 at 7:37 pm Reason: Photo Reference Added
Short hair Francis is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:19 pm
  #133  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Posts: 1,562
Originally Posted by Speedbird84
Gates are definitely impeding inbound flights - for example, looks like CX had to wait for SQ to leave to take it's gate.

What doesn't make sense is why multiple aircraft turned around to the gate after getting on the deice pad last night, while others get deiced and took off in short order.

I imagine BA, QF, NZ and the like are taking up valuable gates which wouldn't have caused such a massive trickle down to later incoming int'l flights if they got deiced and left last night which CI, AM, and MU were able to do.

I suppose one explanation is crews timing out while waiting for deicing, but that's just a guess.
I see it somewhere today that QF was timed out. It could be true for other flights as well.
Changeup2000 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:28 pm
  #134  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: HKG/YVR/NYC
Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Posts: 3,697
Originally Posted by jarjay92
Trying to change my flight to YVR. It fits the criteria of the winter storm free change advisory but the website still wants to charge me. Are there any ways around this, other than calling in?
Originally Posted by YVR4Ever
The only way I can think of is to go the airport. A higher risk approach is to pay for the change and than argue after the fact it should be refunded.
If jarjay92 is SE, then sure.
Otherwise I wouldn't go trying that way, the lines at the airport (at 1430) were as bad as this summer hell of YVR Security Lines









Priority Check-In line ended with the guy with the Grey Backpack on the left.




Regular Check In extends onwards to inront of the Y8 counter
pudgym29 and jarjay92 like this.

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Dec 20, 2022 at 7:36 pm Reason: Photo Reference Added
Short hair Francis is offline  
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:44 pm
  #135  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,069
Originally Posted by painintheuk
I'm going to give up, go to meet some friends at one of the many great local breweries in YKA, and show up at 0430 at the airport and see what happens! I'll bring snacks.
yvr.ca shows first 2 AC flights YKA-YVR cancelled tomorrow morning.
painintheuk likes this.
tracon is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.