YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: hahaha
a video, titled

If your wondering where your luggage at YVR is @

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...age_at_yvr_is/
Old Dec 20, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Here's one from NH136

Old Dec 20, 2022, 1:43 pm

In case it isn't obvious, I'll add that a lot of these gate issues are due to inbound flights arriving to their gates being occupied because of cancelled outbound flights.

There was a Delta/SkyWest flight from SEA that landed at ~11p last night and only managed to get a gate about 5 hours later in the A-pier when WS moved an aircraft to the parking area past E-pier. Very intrigued how they managed to get those passengers to immigration.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
nomadic.relief, aim for before or after friday
Specifically Friday is looking likely at this rate!

I'm not getting into the blame game. I'm just sipping my beer and watching it all.

AC245 got a delay notice at 13:13 (dep changed from 14:30 to 18:00, not ideal, but whatever) ... at 13:28 they decided nah, not gonna fly, and cancelled it. All of 15 minutes between decisions.

I got rebooked on AC253 ... theoretical dep should have been 19:00, but they've already decided THAT won't happen either, and it has a scheduled delayed dep of 20:50. Pretty sure it was the last seat on the last flight of the day.

Just watched a WS flight board and depart for YVR, so it's not *IMPOSSIBLE*, likely just improbable I'll fly today.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Specifically Friday is looking likely at this rate!

I'm not getting into the blame game. I'm just sipping my beer and watching it all.

AC245 got a delay notice at 13:13 (dep changed from 14:30 to 18:00, not ideal, but whatever) ... at 13:28 they decided nah, not gonna fly, and cancelled it. All of 15 minutes between decisions.

I got rebooked on AC253 ... theoretical dep should have been 19:00, but they've already decided THAT won't happen either, and it has a scheduled delayed dep of 20:50. Pretty sure it was the last seat on the last flight of the day.

Just watched a WS flight board and depart for YVR, so it's not *IMPOSSIBLE*, likely just improbable I'll fly today.
LMAO, you can be our latest reporter on friday
Problem is even if one were to land, theres no guarantee of gate space especially widebody gates.

Speedbird84, are you seeing AC 8 literally sitting on Runway 8L due to lack of gates?
Or are my eyes lying to me?
nomadic.relief, wrp96 and YOWgary like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 2:21 pm

AI took 6 hours to get to the gate.

It was only in the last 30 minutes that the 3rd deice position opened up.

Keep refreshing the FR24 page to see the latest updates.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/1...sengers-stuck/

Of course......

In business class, Schade told CityNews that everyone seems to be in good spirits, “I didn’t hear any screaming or crying.”
Old Dec 20, 2022, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Speedbird84, are you seeing AC 8 literally sitting on Runway 8L due to lack of gates?
Or are my eyes lying to me?
They seem to be content being down a runway I keep waiting for them to shuffle everyone around but it's not happening lol.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird84
They seem to be content being down a runway I keep waiting for them to shuffle everyone around but it's not happening lol.
Ugh. And I've watched at least two separate flights for YVR board and leave. Not sure which is worse - tarmac hold or or not even leaving YEG.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Ugh. And I've watched at least two separate flights for YVR board and leave. Not sure which is worse - tarmac hold or or not even leaving YEG.
Are you sure they are heading to YVR and have left? It does not seem to be any airborne flight heading to YVR from YEG .
Old Dec 20, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Are you sure they are heading to YVR and have left? It does not seem to be any airborne flight heading to YVR from YEG .
Fair point. 2/2 boarded and left gate (both were within eyesight at the time), where they went after that, I know not.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Speedbird84
AC861 appears to have been diverted to YYC.

Maybe YVR is at capacity now? Lots of arrival planes still not making to the gates yet.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Unhappy

Boys flying home from school YYZ-YVR-YXS got dumped this AM. Nothing before Xmas showing to actually bring them home now. After 3 hours on the courtesy phone at YYZ put on a flight to YVR tomorrow AM but I am not sure if that is fully reliable. AND they have no YXS connection. Not even given Xmas day backup. Told to try standby.
Further complicated by the fact that they are in Kingston, so may see revolving hotel bookings in my future too.
Boy 3 had been booked Friday from YVR long ago......getting nervous.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 3:29 pm

Compared to the tarmac folks, I was lucky enough that my flight got canceled before I got to the airport. I spent an hour on the phone trying to rebook, but that one got canceled too. After another 3 hours waiting to get to a support agent, I was offered a flight on the 23rd. I cut my losses, got a refund, and am flying into BLI tomorrow morning instead on SWA. Wish me luck.

Old Dec 20, 2022, 4:11 pm

I managed to get down to YVR just now for a few photos.

AC domestic check-in is now all the way at Lynx.
Domestic Priority is blocking the Escalators going up to the Skytrain.

Int’l Concourse easily has 2000-3000 pax around due to last night furor.

Flurries picking up again and it’s looks like Lake Effect snow out in the water

pudgym29 likes this.

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Dec 20, 2022 at 7:02 pm
Old Dec 20, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
The point is when does life and safety to the passengers outweigh the right of the airline and authorities management? This was an emergency with no food or water delivered.....taxi the aircraft behind another....shovel....get something to get these passengers into the warmth of the terminal and on thier way.....police, CBSA, AC and YVR should have made this a priority....they didnt. What if that aircraft didnt have enough fuel to run the APU all night? There was clearly no food on board or sufficient water....diabetic emergency?

The will of people to come together in adversity to think differently to get people to safety was what it lacked....all levels just didnt care it seems......or did the OT bill suddenly become an issue over passenger lives?

5cm or 25 cm of snow.....you will have options .... if you have the mindset that you actually care....clearly all levels at YVR didnt....thats the shame here.
Air travel is a priviledge. I'd much rather our police be concerned with making sure homeless people in the streets have food and warmth during this, than worrying about how you're doing on a parked warm airplane.

GIve your head a shake.

Your life isn't in danger by sitting on a plane for a while.... on the contrary, you chose to get on the plane.

Originally Posted by isaacchambers
Its shocking that everyone has sympathy for the workers and thier repercussions (that can be easily mitigated) and not the passengers.....what if someone died due to a medical emergency caused by dehydration and diabetic issues?

This should have been focus #1 (along with the Westjet flight), i dont buy they couldnt do anything for 10+ hours.
So lets assume you're diabetic.

Are you telling me you never plan for what ifs? Given the craziness of the world nowadays, you don't keep extra snacks and stuff on you? You have a carry on. You can fill it with food.

If this was an issue, and a diabetic was having a problem you could bet that crew would jump into action. But don't blame the crew or staff for not minding to every single persons needs because they're not prepared for their schedules to be impacted in any minor way.

You're sounding overly entitled here. I bet you're the life of the party.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 20, 2022 at 6:20 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.