Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-why-1.6670237

Originally Posted by CBCnews
"Vancouver and Surrey both budget around $4 million a year for snow removal, while everywhere else in Metro Vancouver is under a million dollars. But in every other major Canadian city, the figure is much higher, topped out by Montreal at $187 million last year. "
Originally Posted by CBCnews
""We do not put the amount of investment that Montreal does because we do not see snow all year," said New Westminster Mayor Patrick Johnstone, who said it was a question of municipal tradeoffs. "Every year, people ask for more when the snow falls and then question why budgets go up when budget time happens a few months later."
Extrapolate to YVR and you're pretty much on the money. I wonder what a fleet of new snowplows would do to YVR's Airport Improvement Fee, or the slot costs it charges to airlines.

If YVR passed those costs on to consumers, would you notice an extra $5 /flight?

Would you be more/less likely to choose AC or one of its competitors, if they announced they had secured a contract with YVR for Priority Snowstorm Gate Access for winter IRROPS? Would you pay more for this service?
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Symmetre
In fairness, a snowfall warning is all it takes to cause significant delays at YVR. Sorry, but it is the truth.
I agree, snowfall warning is more than enough to create headaches for YVR
But there is still a small difference of 2-3 hrs Conga Line from Sunday vs. Stuck on the Plane for 8 hrs on monday night/tuesday.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Now you are welcome to try the slide and see if AC comes after you for the 20K CAD to reinstall the bloody thing afterwards.
Because at least you will have no rights to sue anyone at that point.

And the 20K doesn't apply towards your SQD
If someone's life is in immediate danger, I would say opening the slide may be a viable option, in view of the legal jargon of "necessity".

Less than that, I do not believe it is a good idea, and I hope you are not encouraging him to actually do so.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
If someone's life is in immediate danger, I would say opening the slide may be a viable option, in view of the legal jargon of "necessity".

Less than that, I do not believe it is a good idea, and I hope you are not encouraging him to actually do so.
I am neither encouraging nor discouraging him/her from using the slide.
He or She is an adult can make his/her decision and responsibilities that comes thereafter.

One good news, is AC 292 YVR-YWG just went airborne at 1058, so at least 1 AC bird is departing YVR this morning
kalderlake likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Just noticed that AC has closed all YVR to YYC flights for 12/22. That's two days from now. Do they expect the situation to get worse? Last night there was still decent of availability on pretty much all flights to YYC.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: hahaha
^seeing situations like these and the ones where the CS desks have massive queues overnight have leave me wanting AC to offer On My Way again, something where I'd be able to skip the line and being rebooked on other airlines were an option
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:30 pm

Strongly considering rebooking my flight to "anywhere but home" right now. Don't really need to be there urgently. *so grateful for that

Currently booked on AC245, rescheduled from AC235 (YEG-YVR for those who don't have ALL the flight numbers memorized). A win for me as I got in an unexpected family visit. Plus my rescheduled flight seems to be on an aircraft already here, so better odds of leaving. Regardless, I'm not convinced I will make it home today, so why not go elsewhere at random?

Edit: and staying put is an unwelcome idea as I'm not packed for winter. At all. And it's down to -47 with windchill here
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

I am neither encouraging nor discouraging him/her from using the slide.
He or She is an adult can make his/her decision and responsibilities that comes thereafter.

One good news, is AC 292 YVR-YWG just went airborne at 1058, so at least 1 AC bird is departing YVR this morning
1034, 208, 552 all seem to be able to get out of the gate soon. Let's see if they can make it before noon.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Between you and Nitehawk, there will be plenty of stories from last night to share.
Conditions were terrible last night, easily 1 inch an hour territory.

Double Confirm on the 25cm/9.85 inches at the official reader
https://twitter.com/wc_vancouver/sta...03507761631234

First of all, if anyone was for blame last night, go blame Environment Canada for missing the mark.
Everywhere except YVR, Gulf Islands, Victoria, East Vancouver, Fraser Valley, even NOAA North Cascades all got Winter Storm warnings,
YVR only got a snowfall warning.

Second of all, this country DOES give Convicted Felon better treatment than invest in things for Taxpayers
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...es/ar-AA15t6a0

Even if they had airstairs and a bus lying somewhere last night, whos going to risk their job a passenger isn't going to slip while walking down at 1in/3cm an hour snow rate?
Just as you have to stop ramp operations during a t-storm, same idea.

Now you are welcome to try the slide and see if AC comes after you for the 20K CAD to reinstall the bloody thing afterwards.
Because at least you will have no rights to sue anyone at that point.

And the 20K doesn't apply towards your SQD
Again....passenger life and safety doesnt matter more than some ramper's job (only if really something bad happens and thats a big IF)? or repacking the slide? At what point does a passenger life become worth it? We all seem to care about the risks of trying to help.....which is kinda crazy given an emergency situation....so is a diabetic emergency going to force people to act?

IF we want to get financial - the compensation for the passengers now will probably be well in excess of the costs to slides or the potential of slippage on stairs(again big IF).

There is no question people are working hard....but frankly if the will was there - you could have done this with about 5 people (you only need 1 to know how to taxi and move stairs - the rest are hands to help every passenger, get a cop, CBSA, etc. you mean to tell me you couldnt find anyone.....). There just needs to be a will to do it. Ive worked ramp before....its called tell ground what you are doing and in times of emergency - you get the clearance.

And thunderstorms dont last for 10 hours straight....you still have windows to get people off.....

Its shocking that everyone has sympathy for the workers and thier repercussions (that can be easily mitigated) and not the passengers.....what if someone died due to a medical emergency caused by dehydration and diabetic issues?

This should have been focus #1 (along with the Westjet flight), i dont buy they couldnt do anything for 10+ hours.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:41 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Strongly considering rebooking my flight to "anywhere but home" right now. Don't really need to be there urgently. *so grateful for that

Currently booked on AC245, rescheduled from AC235 (YEG-YVR for those who don't have ALL the flight numbers memorized). A win for me as I got in an unexpected family visit. Plus my rescheduled flight seems to be on an aircraft already here, so better odds of leaving. Regardless, I'm not convinced I will make it home today, so why not go elsewhere at random?

Edit: and staying put is an unwelcome idea as I'm not packed for winter. At all. And it's down to -47 with windchill here
Remind me to introduce you to beach vacations. Or clients. Or both.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
Again....passenger life and safety doesnt matter more than some ramper's job
You seem thoroughly convinced that rampers' health and safety matter less than passengers' convenience.

Unless you've got specific evidence that a single passenger's life was put at risk last night, it's time to stop making that claim.

frankly if the will was there - you could have done this with about 5 people
/thread
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yulred
SQ getting straight in doesnt surprise me. Theyre very protective of their brand, and I believe they pay a premium for preferential treatment at some airports. Not sure if YVR is one of them.
Meanwhile, AI185 flew from Delhi touched down at about 6:15am and had stuck there ever since ... Way to go, Air India!
Short hair Francis likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Somewhat related is AC1902 YYJ-YYZ is delayed > 2h, hasn't left the gate yet, but is already showing a divert for a 13min stop in YYC, probably to refuel, then onwards to YYZ.
WX in YYC is -27C with occasional light snow, 13min is such typical AC optimism
Old Dec 20, 2022, 1:12 pm

Not sure about blaming the airport authority for much of this. Flights are landing and moving around on the taxiways, and cargo flights for the most part are getting to the cargo village without issue so I'm going to assume that snowplows aren't much of an issue.

Deicing is done by Aero Mag who seems to have an exclusive contract to operate all deicing services.

It's the gate that the issue comes up at, and that's obviously the domain of the airline/contractor. The airport authority isn't going to be marshaling or touching an aircraft to unload it.

The one area I do fault them is for not issuing a halt to arrivals and continuing to have aircraft pile up everywhere/people confined for hours on end. I counted one WS flight from Hawaii that redirected to Calgary and that was it last night.

Today's state (it's currently 12p)
SQ arrived 0514 and went straight to gate
AI arrived an hour later and is still sitting on Rwy 31 nearly 6 hours later.
NH136 arrived 0915
AC4 at 1003
JL18 at 1039
CX838 at 1102
AC34 at 1018
AC40 at 1014
KE71 at 1129
FX142 at 0842
AC997 at 1123

And the current parking lot:

Edit: AI now moving to the gate a full 6 hours later
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 1:17 pm

Again....passenger life and safety doesnt matter more than some ramper's job (only if really something bad happens and thats a big IF)? or repacking the slide? At what point does a passenger life become worth it? We all seem to care about the risks of trying to help.....which is kinda crazy given an emergency situation....so is a diabetic emergency going to force people to act?

There is no question people are working hard....but frankly if the will was there - you could have done this with about 5 people (you only need 1 to know how to taxi and move stairs - the rest are hands to help every passenger, get a cop, CBSA, etc. you mean to tell me you couldnt find anyone.....). There just needs to be a will to do it. Ive worked ramp before....its called tell ground what you are doing and in times of emergency - you get the clearance.

And thunderstorms dont last for 10 hours straight....you still have windows to get people off.....

Its shocking that everyone has sympathy for the workers and thier repercussions (that can be easily mitigated) and not the passengers.....what if someone died due to a medical emergency caused by dehydration and diabetic issues?

This should have been focus #1 (along with the Westjet flight), i dont buy they couldnt do anything for 10+ hours.
It's not only rampers health & safety, its also exposing passenger into the elements.
You are potentially putting both rampers and passengers into danger.

You seem to think YVR has the same amount of winter equipment as the rest of Canada, which I promise you we don't.
And you're not the only person whos work ramp or ops in this lifetime around here either.

Originally Posted by YOWgary
You seem thoroughly convinced that rampers' health and safety matter less than passengers' convenience.

Unless you've got specific evidence that a single passenger's life was put at risk last night, it's time to stop making that claim.

nomadic.relief, aim for before or after friday

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.