Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
There was a stretch of 15-20 mins between 11:00-11:40 where there was heavy snow, so that's possible why YVR looks more like the JFK/LGA conga line.

Hopefully Tracon can give us an updated report later 🙂

You must be on the North Shore or Coquitlam side to have that much snow already. 😲
Its only about 2, maybe 2.5 inches on this side.

Bohemian1, sorry for the bearer of bad news but did you check the forecast for Thursday? 😅
Thursday is supposed to be the Snow>Rain Switchover day!
Weather happens, but I was puzzled by the time these aircraft were spending on the de-icing stands. Every aircraft - be it a Dash 8 or a 777, was there for around 30 mins. Looks like 4 stands in operation, but the turnaround time makes me think they only have two aircraft being deiced at any given time.

Granted, I might have pandemic brain and maybe de-icing always took this long? I seem to be under the impression that the turnaround for deicing was faster than that.

Thursday does looks pretty rough right now.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
It now seems not an issue about where to stay at YVR, but rather if I can get to YVR tonight in the first place.

My flight is further delayed to after 8pm. I am now worried about the possibility it will be further delayed into a red-eye flight. At least it has signature service.

Proactively checking flights into YYC and YEG, not good either.
If your inbound is in YYZ, just double check with the flight crew so they won't time out.
The winter storm warning just ended for Fraser Canyon and the Coquihalla so the precipitation is slowly getting pushed out to sea by the arctic outflow.

Good news is you weren't in YVR this morning

Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
If your inbound is in YYZ, just double check with the flight crew so they won't time out.
The winter storm warning just ended for Fraser Canyon and the Coquihalla so the precipitation is slowly getting pushed out to sea by the arctic outflow.

Good news is you weren't in YVR this morning

https://twitter.com/MarksGonePublic/...98724336177152
Obviously, my inbound flight taxied in YVR for 2 hours and 14 minutes. Once it was airborne it did not seem to have many issues.

I hope the flight crew will not time out, but I will anticipate YYZ can cope with that with a huge base here.

If the flight has to be cancelled, I hope they let me know as soon as possible so I can head to a hotel rather than in limbo in the MLL.

Miraculously, the traffic in Metro Vancouver seems to be fine and my partner just called to say they should have no issue come to YVR to pick me up, no matter how late. I guess this is because today is not a work day. Now, the problem is when I can get onto the plane ...

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 18, 2022 at 5:58 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Dec 18, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yulred
Weather happens, but I was puzzled by the time these aircraft were spending on the de-icing stands. Every aircraft - be it a Dash 8 or a 777, was there for around 30 mins. Looks like 4 stands in operation, but the turnaround time makes me think they only have two aircraft being deiced at any given time.

Granted, I might have pandemic brain and maybe de-icing always took this long? I seem to be under the impression that the turnaround for deicing was faster than that.

Thursday does looks pretty rough right now.
What I noticed on FR24 earlier were planes were sitting at the de-icing pad.
Then I'm guessing, plane got de-iced 1 at a time then immediately sent out to Rwy 8R before the de-icing fluid timed out.

However NAV Canada also put this out on "Staffing"

Obviously, my inbound flight taxied in YVR for 2 hours and 14 minutes. Once it was airborne it did not seem to have many issues.

I hope the flight crew will not time out, but I will anticipate YYZ can cope with that with a huge base here.

If the flight has to be cancelled, I hope they let me know as soon as possible so I can head to a hotel rather than in limbo in the MLL.

Miraculously, the traffic in Metro Vancouver seems to be fine and my partner just called to say they should have no issue come to YVR to pick me up, no matter how late. I guess this is because today is not a work day. Now, the problem is when I can get onto the plane ...
Traffic wise, staying away from the North Shore or the YVR De-icing conga line seems to be the trick today.
JackCooper likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 18, 2022 at 5:59 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Dec 18, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Talking

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
in the prairies we called this frost!

sometimes a skiff, leaf blower took care of this or a broom, lol
That's exactly what this girl who grew up in No Minnesota thought! Aren't all these airports we're addressing in Canada where winter is WINTER? How could this affect flight times? Oh dear, oh dear.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsn55
That's exactly what this girl who grew up in No Minnesota thought! Aren't all these airports we're addressing in Canada where winter is WINTER? How could this affect flight times? Oh dear, oh dear.
One of my friend, who, like many of others in our circle, was originally from Winnipeg.

They claimed a few weeks ago when Vancouver was having its first snow of this winter, that they did not give it a xxxx because, of course, they were from Winnipeg, and despite my caution, drove out in the middle of the night to get some hot chocolate from a nearby Tim Hortons.

When they finally got home about 12 hours later, they realized that the majority of people living in Vancouver were not originally from Winnipeg.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsn55
Not in YVR 😆😆

There is 1 thing that wasn't mention though, it was 100% Humidity last night here with Light Mist/Showers followed by Deep Freeze/Ice Pellets and then finally snow.
So chances are there's a thin layer of ice underneath the snow this morning, be it highways, cars or planes for that matter.

One of my friend, who, like many of others in our circle, was originally from Winnipeg.

They claimed a few weeks ago when Vancouver was having its first snow of this winter, that they did not give it a xxxx because, of course, they were from Winnipeg, and despite my caution, drove out in the middle of the night to get some hot chocolate from a nearby Tim Hortons.

When they finally got home about 12 hours later, they realized that the majority of people living in Vancouver were not originally from Winnipeg.

LOL 😆😆, alot of people from the Prairies or East think of snow as white fluffy cotton candy, easy to shove.
However most snow events in the Pacific Northwest (YVR/SEA/PDX), because snow only happens in the battle of air mass, it's usually come out and accumulates like 7-11 Slurpee Ice Slush.

I promise you it's way more painful to shovel Slurpee Ice Slush vs. regular white fluffy snow.

As for your friend, I can only think of 4 places in the November storm where people got stuck for 12+ hrs.
Steveston Hwy/Massey Tunnel, Hwy 91, Alex Fraser and Queenborough, you sure they were just going for Timmies 😂

And it finally stopped snowing now, so you can breathe a sigh of relief!

But beware of drivers like these

wrp96 and YOWgary like this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:12 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Short hair Francis - I live in New West. The forecast was for 2 - 4 cm. It was spot on - we have 24 cm as of 19:00. For now.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Short hair Francis - I live in New West. The forecast was for 2 - 4 cm. It was spot on - we have 24 cm as of 19:00. For now.
Oh boy! 😅 Hope you stocked up on the groceries!
The warning last night had a bit more than 2-4 cm, but the real problem I reckon we truly have is the lack/wrong placement of weather stations to account for all the microclimates here.

And using the YVR Airport one forecast isn't much use for anyone in other suburbs because that's normally a best case scenario; be it lack of heat wave, snowfall, rainfall, you name it...
YVR Weather forecast sadly will always be "Pin the Tail on a Donkey" 😔

Old Dec 19, 2022, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Got home an hour ago. It was not bad. I would say should really be no issue for people from the rest of Canada. But everyone is driving super slow, possibly for good reasons: seen about 10 car wrecks on my way home.
Short hair Francis likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:27 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
It's going be questionable here through Christmas apparently.

I know that it's hardly a novel thing is the rest of Canada, but YVR and YYJ don't deal with snow very well. Be prepared for delays and cancellations if you are transiting or terminating here.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K

Yeah, but here in Lotusland we have daffodils by Valentine's Day. I'll post a pic then while you're still blowing and brooming until May 24th long weekend.
Short hair Francis and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: Back of the bus
The bigger problem is YVR's snow clearing budget is roughly the same as the catering budget for the MLL in YVR.

Both, essentially non existant.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 12:31 pm

But everyone is driving super slow, possibly for good reasons: seen about 10 car wrecks on my way home.
Not everyone, try this one 😂
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...eb2x&context=3

Originally Posted by Sopwith
Yeah, but here in Lotusland we have daffodils by Valentine's Day. I'll post a pic then while you're still blowing and brooming until May 24th long weekend.
Don't forget the Goose 💩💩💩 on the Seawall by St. Patty's either LOL 😆

Originally Posted by jazzsax
The bigger problem is YVR's snow clearing budget is roughly the same as the catering budget for the MLL in YVR.

Both, essentially non existant.
The afternoon/evening spread at the YVR Dom isn't that bad, now how did the conga line get to 25+ Planes yesterday is what I really want to know about!

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
It's going be questionable here through Christmas apparently.

I know that it's hardly a novel thing is the rest of Canada, but YVR and YYJ don't deal with snow very well. Be prepared for delays and cancellations if you are transiting or terminating here.
I'm more afraid of tonight/tuesday warning, because it seems to be affecting folks closer to the border vs. the mountain.

Old Dec 19, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
This is the pre-game show....this will hit YYZ/YUL/YOW this thursday and Friday......of course i fly out Friday to YYZ and connect to YOW.....this will get interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.