Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

Old Dec 22, 2022, 4:59 pm

YVRAA CEO taking great pride that only 100 flights were cancelled today.
Spent lots of time blaming the weather, but not the infrastructure.
No mention of the zero holdover times that were probably the route cause of this mess.

Not sure where this info was sourced from...

Last edited by tracon; Dec 22, 2022 at 5:10 pm
Old Dec 22, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
WestJet has proactively cancelled all scheduled arriving and departing Vancouver International Airport (YVR) beginning at 11:50 p.m. PST, until the late afternoon of Friday, December 23, dependent on weather conditions.
In addition, flights have been proactively cancelled at Abbotsford International Airport (YXX), Victoria International Airport (YYJ), Nanaimo Airport (YCD) and Comox Airport (YQQ).

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...ecember-22-23-
Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: hahaha
anyone know how the Kraken (flew? drove?) got to vancouver today? or more importantly, how the canucks will get to edmonton tomorrow? not really sure where to begin researching this besides checking whether or not VAN uses a Jetz service
Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
It's got to be 96, since anyone old here talks about 96.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3146344/a...-and-victoria/
I remember Snowmageddon '96 well, the only time I've ever been utterly snowed in for 3 days. (Rural living.) And I strongly resent your observation re age.

WestJet has proactively cancelled all scheduled arriving and departing Vancouver International Airport (YVR) beginning at 11:50 p.m. PST, until the la afternoon of Friday, December 23, dependent on weather conditions.
In addition, flights have been proactively cancelled at Abbotsford International Airport (YXX), Victoria International Airport (YYJ), Nanaimo Airport (YCD) and Comox Airport (YQQ).

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...ecember-22-23-
Now watch, it'll be a dusting and warm up faster than anticipated, so zero issue (other than pre-emptively cancelled flights).

And for those curious, I did make it home from YEG. 49h late.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 12:37 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I remember Snowmageddon '96 well, the only time I've ever been utterly snowed in for 3 days. (Rural living.) And I strongly resent your observation re age.

Now watch, it'll be a dusting and warm up faster than anticipated, so zero issue (other than pre-emptively cancelled flights).

And for those curious, I did make it home from YEG. 49h late.
Apologies from this young'un, I don't remember a thing from 96 LOL

While I am sad to see the snow to go away, I don't think I want to see 9 fender benders in 9 hrs again which is what happen on my street today
I bet you don't miss the -40C in YEG in retrospect LOL!

Airfield is now reporting light snow so lets see how accurate is this hourly forecast now
Old Dec 23, 2022, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by asovse1
anyone know how the Kraken (flew? drove?) got to vancouver today? or more importantly, how the canucks will get to edmonton tomorrow? not really sure where to begin researching this besides checking whether or not VAN uses a Jetz service
I think scrolling through FR24s Departure and Arrivals for YVR might be the easiest bet.
Look for oddball flight numbers.

There is AC 7016 YVR-BFI leaving at 23:00, so could that be the Kraken flight?

EDIT - There's a AC 7037 YVR-YEG thats got airborne at 23:52, so that should the Canucks flight you were looking for.
asovse1 likes this.

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Dec 23, 2022 at 12:54 am Reason: AC 7037 Info Added
Old Dec 23, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
It's got to be 96, since anyone old here talks about 96.
I guess I must be really old then, since I remember 1996 very well ... back in the very early days of the internet when dinosaurs still roamed the earth.

Vancouver gets snow and they talk about it for 30 years. Come to YYG some time, where every few years you get a storm good enough you have to shovel down into the ground to get to your house. Spend a winter here, then we can talk :-)
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Come to YYG some time, where every few years you get a storm good enough you have to shovel down into the ground to get to your house. Spend a winter here, then we can talk :-)
My former neighbour came from there and used to talk about the snow and sea ice drifts that get pushed up to 10s of metres high on the north side. He moved back" to the Maritimes a few years ago. South shore NS as he couldn't do PEI winters anymore.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I guess I must be really old then, since I remember 1996 very well ... back in the very early days of the internet when dinosaurs still roamed the earth.

Vancouver gets snow and they talk about it for 30 years. Come to YYG some time, where every few years you get a storm good enough you have to shovel down into the ground to get to your house. Spend a winter here, then we can talk :-)
YYG Winters
Theres a reason why YVR has the most expensive real estate in the country and BC = Bring Cash

On another note, the Freezing Rain is now here.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe not warming up fast but a curious lack of precipitation SW of YYJ all morning (maybe 1-3 cm on the west shore overnight). Lots of CXL'd flights but conditions are reported as mostly cloudy and a shade below thaw.

There was reportedly a large number of YLW pax who tried to fly to YEG on WS, and were rerouted via YYJ only to have everything fall apart. Now stuck in YYJ and the earliest WS/WR/WO can get some of them to YEG is when they have to be back at work at YLW.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:28 pm

From my cozy condo it doesn't look super terrible, but I've heard the Alex Fraser and Port Mann bridges were closed at 10am due to freezing rain.

I think I'll be walking to the grocery store to get the eggs I need to bake cookies!
painintheuk likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From my cozy condo it doesn't look super terrible, but I've heard the Alex Fraser and Port Mann bridges were closed at 10am due to freezing rain.
Or, I suspect, to reduce costs due to car repairs from ice bombs.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ence-1.2651654
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/ice-bombs-from...pert-1.3202219

Both bridges have this feature.
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 2:27 pm

I think I'll be walking to the grocery store to get the eggs I need to bake cookies!
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Or, I suspect, to reduce costs due to car repairs from ice bombs.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ence-1.2651654
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/ice-bombs-from...pert-1.3202219

Both bridges have this feature.
Skytrain also struggling mightily now as well
Old Dec 23, 2022, 5:00 pm

Freezing precipitation stopped at YVR over an hour ago.
None in the forecast.
Now it's time for the recovery.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
  • I'm keeping all contingency plans in place until we actually take off, land and get off plane. Currently sitting in departure lounge at sfo... happy to report that despite delay, arrival into yvr uneventful this evening.

Last edited by xray; Dec 24, 2022 at 1:05 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.