Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Does anybody know what happened to AC2018 that was scheduled for YYC? The aircraft is inbound from Hawaii but now the flight is cancelled.

Getting out of YVR is not easy.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
If AC wants to launch new flights ("ooh Bangkok, hey folks: Miami!, let's go double-daily to Sydney"), they'd better first ensure they have the staff to support them. And pay that staff enough that they can afford snow tires to get into work on time.

YVR too needs to understand the general public is sick of the past two years of 'short-staffed' excuses. Covid has come and largely gone, and it seems backwards that the airport trumpets its relentless push to return to 2019 revenues & passenger levels without first scaling up their own staff to be able to coordinate these sorts of debacles.
It's clear that AC/WS, YVR, and to a large extent over the summer CBSA, all either don't care about customer support/service or they have poor management that failed to anticipate the demand or shortcomings.

My frustration stems from the fact that AC didn't even issue travel advisory/waiver for changes until the day snow started falling. As compared to US carriers for the storm this week, waivers were issued days beforehand. And US airports have been more forthcoming about inclement weather. After learning from the JFK snow tarmac delays and recovery issues a few years ago.

More frustrating is that I couldn't even change my AC flights online or by phone (since they're at capacity). I now have 3 different tickets on 3 different airlines for flights tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday. Will see which one can actually depart from YVR and cancel others as needed. (I'm sorry for those who need a seat, but I have to hedge myself as well)
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by FMRL201
Compared to the tarmac folks, I was lucky enough that my flight got canceled before I got to the airport. I spent an hour on the phone trying to rebook, but that one got canceled too. After another 3 hours waiting to get to a support agent, I was offered a flight on the 23rd. I cut my losses, got a refund, and am flying into BLI tomorrow morning instead on SWA. Wish me luck.

I ended up flying into BLI. One of the rockiest landings Iíve ever experienced. We were tilting on the descent due to heavy wind so the pilot pulled up and reapproached. I understand why this region was so hard to fly into yesterday.

pudgym29 and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Didn't see this thread until it was moved. My nephew and his wife were on the early afternoon (1300-ish) AC to SFO on Sunday (~3-4 cm snow on the island that morning). Didn't get off the ground until ~2000. If it was that bad Sunday, hate to think how bad it was yesterday. That said, glad I got home on the ferry Saturday night. Had to put the snows on the car Monday to go shopping so don't have to go out for the rest of the week. Neighbour's daughter got stuck in YYC yesterday en route to YYJ from AMS. Was supposed to have gotten in ~0300 today but that got CXL'd and nothing available for over 2 days. Looks like she eventually managed to get on a YYC-YCD that appears to have been delayed 4 hrs. She had actually contemplated invoking trip in vain and return to AMS.
Hoyaheel and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like Thursday evening/Friday could be a repeat on a smaller scale but with freezing rain.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Looks like Thursday evening/Friday could be a repeat on a smaller scale but with freezing rain.
They said 10-20cm/4-8 inches for monday night/tuesday and it was way above that.

This time around they are saying 10-20cm/4-8 inches AGAIN + freezing rain, before it will melt.
Anyone travelling through YVR friday daytime would be smart to carry some snacks on hand.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:42 pm

I just walked through the terminal.
AC has a line that runs from domestic check in to international check in.
At the front of this line, no agents. Just the bank of phones.

Still lots of people camping in the terminal. However a lot less people than 24 hours ago.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FMRL201
I ended up flying into BLI. One of the rockiest landings Iíve ever experienced. We were tilting on the descent due to heavy wind so the pilot pulled up and reapproached. I understand why this region was so hard to fly into yesterday.
That's actually explainable, the Arctic Outflow (ECCC) or Fraser Outflow (NOAA) blows out from the Fraser Canyon, towards YXX and BLI moreso than Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond etc...
And likewise, the same goes for Howe Sound.

Winds for the most part on monday night weren't terrible, it was just the snow never slowed down and just kept adding up.

Didn't see this thread until it was moved. My nephew and his wife were on the early afternoon (1300-ish) AC to SFO on Sunday (~3-4 cm snow on the island that morning). Didn't get off the ground until ~2000. If it was that bad Sunday, hate to think how bad it was yesterday. That said, glad I got home on the ferry Saturday night. Had to put the snows on the car Monday to go shopping so don't have to go out for the rest of the week. Neighbour's daughter got stuck in YYC yesterday en route to YYJ from AMS. Was supposed to have gotten in ~0300 today but that got CXL'd and nothing available for over 2 days. Looks like she eventually managed to get on a YYC-YCD that appears to have been delayed 4 hrs. She had actually contemplated invoking trip in vain and return to AMS.
Whatever you got in YYJ, its roughly the same on this side.
This is what I took on tuesday afternoon after the storm on the parking lot next to the Skytrain

pudgym29 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 6:13 am

Deleted

Last edited by UNDLAC; Dec 22, 2022 at 6:01 pm
Old Dec 22, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
They said 10-20cm/4-8 inches for monday night/tuesday and it was way above that.

https://twitter.com/wc_vancouver/sta...64123612241949

This time around they are saying 10-20cm/4-8 inches AGAIN + freezing rain, before it will melt.
Anyone travelling through YVR friday daytime would be smart to carry some snacks on hand.
Yeah been following this forecast as well. Have a flight out of YVR tomorrow morning (Friday) 8:30 am. Seems right about the time when this storm will be hitting. :-| A bit worried to say the least!!
Old Dec 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hirohito888
My frustration stems from the fact that AC didn't even issue travel advisory/waiver for changes until the day snow started falling.
AC has in the past pulled the trigger too soon, if it should have even pulled the trigger at all. Many years ago, around this time of year, had a short post X'mas S-H flight planned. AC, within 2-3 hrs of the flight, preemptively CXL'd it.( I checked T-2-3 to see it as still going, and rechecked less than 20 mins later and it was CXL'd). Managed to book and buy a WS ticket at around T-1 (we were in the Hampton Inn near YVR) and actually managed to get to the gate with time to spare. Weather was o.k. enough the rest of the day. Got to our destination and talked to the AC staff. Had rebooked us for 2 days later.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And now some forecasts are calling for heavy thunderstorms on Saturday . Rare for the west coast and even rarer in winter though a thunder snow storm wwas apparently was observed on Sunday..

Last time I got caught in a lightning at YVR, resulted in a long-delayed flight which resulted in T/O in darkness, fly in daylight, and arrive in darkness on TATL.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Dec 22, 2022 at 11:15 am
Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by ajcopley
Yeah been following this forecast as well. Have a flight out of YVR tomorrow morning (Friday) 8:30 am. Seems right about the time when this storm will be hitting. :-| A bit worried to say the least!!
You might have a bit of a problem with that timeline.

And Winter Storm Watch just got upgraded to Winter Storm Warning

Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Whatever you got in YYJ, its roughly the same on this side.
Not sure what the record snow fall is for YVR but for YYJ, it was only 5th most for the day since 1940 (~29cm). Everyone keeps on talking about December 1996 when it was over 64 cm. Victoria reportedly recorded nearly 118 cm in 1 day in 1916.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 12:16 pm

Not sure what the record snow fall is for YVR but for YYJ, it was only 5th most for the day since 1940 (~29cm). Everyone keeps on talking about December 1996 when it was over 64 cm. Victoria reportedly recorded nearly 118 cm in 1 day in 1916.
It's got to be 96, since anyone old here talks about 96.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3146344/a...-and-victoria/

28cm/11in might not be record breaking for YVR, but its more than enough to put the airfield to a halt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.