Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

YVR December 2022 snowstorm impact

Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:55 pm

Not sure how fast airports usually recover from winter storms when not normally prepared for a lot of snow, anyone think it will actually affect YVR to cancel as much as they did today into the rest of this week? Looks like more snow on Dec 23 (but not nearly as much as today) and then rain in afternoon.
I'm flying EWR>YVR>TPE on Dec 23 and also lining up with family members that day doing YYZ>YVR>TPE, but I suspect the fam will get more affected than me due to YYZ storm advisory. I'm wondering whether I should move their flights forward 1 day to Dec 22.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Speedbird84

What doesn't make sense is why multiple aircraft turned around to the gate after getting on the deice pad last night, while others get deiced and took off in short order.

I suppose one explanation is crews timing out while waiting for deicing, but that's just a guess.
Could also be fuel load after engines are running while waiting and during deciding. I’ve run into that situation before.
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by aimango
I'm flying EWR>YVR>TPE on Dec 23 and also lining up with family members that day doing YYZ>YVR>TPE, but I suspect the fam will get more affected than me due to YYZ storm advisory. I'm wondering whether I should move their flights forward 1 day to Dec 22.
By the 23rd, your greater difficulty may be in getting out of EWR and YYZ.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
yvr.ca shows first 2 AC flights YKA-YVR cancelled tomorrow morning.
Yes, but maybe they will fly me to YYC 😃
Old Dec 20, 2022, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It looks like the network effects are propagating. SFO-YYZ red-eye just cancelled due to crew issues. On a normal day, they could just fly some down from YVR. Heck, it's possible that on a normal day the expectation was deadheading from YVR.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, DL Plat, AF Plat, PD something, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by pewpew
Is that accurate? FlightAware says it was at the gate 6 mins later https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...140Z/KPHX/CYVR
Flightradar24 (https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...c1055#2e98a71d) has the full playback showing the 10+ hour rest on the tarmac just south of taxiway M (deice area?). There are several hours between some sample points, perhaps when ADS-B wasn't being picked up. I just reviewed my local ADS-B logs (pretty clear coverage of CYVR groundops) and I have similar gaps in data like FR24. I am curious how the plane had enough energy to stay "on" the whole time, or if YVR has some kind of power hookup mid-tarmac?

15 hours is a long time to be on a 737 max. I commend the pax and crew for their endurance, assuming there were no issues...
wrp96 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by aimango
Not sure how fast airports usually recover from winter storms when not normally prepared for a lot of snow, anyone think it will actually affect YVR to cancel as much as they did today into the rest of this week? Looks like more snow on Dec 23 (but not nearly as much as today) and then rain in afternoon.
Depends what time of day the flight is. Early morning looks like it will be sub-zero temperatures with light snow, but by afternoon it will turn into rain and at that point I think we will be okay. Maybe some potential delays for de-icing.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
AC1055 (PHX-YVR) was just cancelled after 6 hours of rolling delays
AC557 (LAX-YVR) is 6 hours delayed but possibly still departing. Is currently holding 69B which is needed for AC791 (YYZ-LAX) to offload. Have family on AC791 who have been sitting on the tarmac at LAX for over an hour now due to YVR.

I get YVR is a mess still but you'd think the outstations would be able to minimize collateral damage like ensure there are gates for non YVR planes, otherwise it just compounds the already cascading network effect.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
First of all, this isn't a disaster.
The roofs haven't collapsed, planes aren't sliding into the ditches.
If we’re defining “disaster” as loss of life and structural integrity', then this one clearly isn’t one. Yet.

But it’s right up there with LHR 2010 in sheer chaos and (probable) incompetence. Perhaps worse; I don’t recall people being stranded on planes for 5hr+ back then.

I’ll go ahead and risk getting flamed for saying what a lot of folk are thinking right now: how in the world does an international hub in a country known for its winters, not have a plan, means or strategy to get passengers off aircraft for hours on end? Even during regular working hours.

If this had happened at LHR, let’s just say that they would have been held to a different, much higher standard. There, they got roasted because people were “stuck” in the relative comfort of a terminal in 2010. Here, we’re pretending that it’s not so bad that people are stuck in airplanes for several hours after 10+ hr flights, to the point that food and water are running out.

YVR management needs to lose this small town mentality if it wants to pretend to be a quality act. Maybe spend those AIFs on contingency planning, instead of gimmicky interiors.
painintheuk, wrp96, pewpew and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
My husband misconnected on AC566 YVR-SFO Mon when flight from YQQ delayed 2h. Couldn't get anything to SFO that day and airport agents couldn't/wouldn't help him. Turned out to be fortuitous as AC572 never left. Booked him at river rock right before it sold out and got him rebooked on AC566 Tues. Reading all the accounts of people on tarmac for hours stressed him out so I told him to bail and sent him downtown to nicer accommodations. AC566 to SFO did make it out with a 2h delay... Win some, lose some. Spending holidays with your spouse is over-rated anyway. 😉
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
Yes, but maybe they will fly me to YYC 😃
Just as I turned out the light to sleep I got an agent. Apparently the next possible flight is the 25th. I'm booked on that, but AARGH!

Any reason not to show up at the airport tomorrow to see if someone doesn't show?

Edit.... Nm. The flight to YYC just got cancelled too. No problem I can see with weather here or in YYC (though slightly chilly!), so don't know why.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by yulred
If we’re defining “disaster” as loss of life and structural integrity', then this one clearly isn’t one. Yet.

But it’s right up there with LHR 2010 in sheer chaos and (probable) incompetence. Perhaps worse; I don’t recall people being stranded on planes for 5hr+ back then.

I’ll go ahead and risk getting flamed for saying what a lot of folk are thinking right now: how in the world does an international hub in a country known for its winters, not have a plan, means or strategy to get passengers off aircraft for hours on end? Even during regular working hours.

If this had happened at LHR, let’s just say that they would have been held to a different, much higher standard. There, they got roasted because people were “stuck” in the relative comfort of a terminal in 2010. Here, we’re pretending that it’s not so bad that people are stuck in airplanes for several hours after 10+ hr flights, to the point that food and water are running out.

YVR management needs to lose this small town mentality if it wants to pretend to be a quality act. Maybe spend those AIFs on contingency planning, instead of gimmicky interiors.
That's a factor that hasn't really been discussed in this thread yet: Massive amounts of staff turnover at all levels of the company and airport authority since the pandemic, combined with one of the busiest travel weeks since 2019, with an already overwhelmed system (most flights already full), creating the perfect storm (pun intended) for a company that is woefully unprepared to handle this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yulred

At least I can report back the Airport Authority were doing some pre-empt measures on the "Structural Integrity" part, let's give them that one...

Someone else might have a better memory than I, but didn't B6 strand a bunch of passengers for 9+ hrs at JFK or BOS due to a snowstorm in the last 10 yrs?

Not just Gimmicky interior, also went towards this restaurant's PR from last week as well.
https://www.yvr.ca/en/media/news-rel...lmon-n-bannock
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:59 pm

I think we're all forgetting about this incredible achievement from yesteryear: https://www.straight.com/blogra/7179...bathroom-title
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 100K
Whoa missed out a lot of action here as I stayed away from the chaos today

can we just blame HSBC since their name is on the jet bridge? They’re also exiting the Canadian market too so…last hoorah?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.