Search

YQB or YUL to Boise after our cruise?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
YQB or YUL to Boise after our cruise?

Will be taking a cruise from Baltimore to Quebec next year and I'm trying to decide to best way to fly home to BOI. Flight times from YQB>>BOI are long & pricey.
Would it be wise to take the train from Quebec to Montreal and then fly home from YUL? Flight times are a lot shorter & less expensive from YUL.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Hi, philemer.

Two observations:

1. There's no U.S. pre-clearance (yet) at YQB, so if you fly directly from YQB to a U.S. airport of entry, you would have to clear Immigration and Customs in the U.S.
2. In addition to the train, a bus from Quebec City to Montreal is also an option. I've taken the bus in the opposite direction. It's a pleasant ride and a couple of the trips even take a few minutes less than the train does. But I would probably book whichever mode of transportation departs when you want to leave Quebec. Or, if you're so inclined, consider doing a one-way car rental.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by philemer
Will be taking a cruise from Baltimore to Quebec next year and I'm trying to decide to best way to fly home to BOI. Flight times from YQB>>BOI are long & pricey.
Would it be wise to take the train from Quebec to Montreal and then fly home from YUL? Flight times are a lot shorter & less expensive from YUL.
I would say that yes, it is worth taking a train to YUL, and flying home to Boise from there.

Spend 2 or 3 days in Québec City, and maybe 2 or 3 days in Montréal if you have time, and then fly from there.

From YUL you should have plenty of options with DL via MSP, UA via ORD, etc.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Hi, philemer.

Two observations:

1. There's no U.S. pre-clearance (yet) at YQB, so if you fly directly from YQB to a U.S. airport of entry, you would have to clear Immigration and Customs in the U.S.
2. In addition to the train, a bus from Quebec City to Montreal is also an option. I've taken the bus in the opposite direction. It's a pleasant ride and a couple of the trips even take a few minutes less than the train does. But I would probably book whichever mode of transportation departs when you want to leave Quebec. Or, if you're so inclined, consider doing a one-way car rental.
Hey guv, long time no chat!!

Thanks for tips about Immigration & the bus. We'll decide on bus or train later. We may also want spend a couple days seeing the sites in Montreal.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rafi2k6
I would say that yes, it is worth taking a train to YUL, and flying home to Boise from there.

Spend 2 or 3 days in Québec City, and maybe 2 or 3 days in Montréal if you have time, and then fly from there.

From YUL you should have plenty of options with DL via MSP, UA via ORD, etc.
Yes, a lot more flight choices x-YUL. YQB has horrible choices & higher prices for us.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:17 pm

YUL is much more preferable. As for bus versus train, I'd personally go for Via Rail over a bus like Orleans Express unless you're looking to stay much closer to the bus station on the east side of downtown Montreal. The train is nicer than the bus. Prices are very comparable for either and they leave from the same point in Quebec City. If you're not looking to stay in Montreal, then the bus drops you directly at YUL with a transfer at the bus station. If you take the train, the Dorval station next to YUL is served by Quebec City - Ottawa with no connection and you just take the shuttle service over.
philemer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:45 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
location, location, location

In Quebec City, the VIA Rail is located near the farmer's market. Worth a look if its open.
In Montreal, VIA Rail is located beneath the Queen Elizabeth Hotel. A short walking disatance to two Marriott properties - Chateau Champlain and Sheraton (my PF).
philemer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.