Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

When Will Canada's NEXUS Enrollment Centres Re-Open?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

Not for some time, it seems. The National Post explains why the Canadian enrollment centres remain closed.

Nexus enrolment centres in Canada, shuttered temporarily during the COVID-19 pandemic, have remained closed for weeks longer than expected due to an ongoing dispute with the United States over “legal protections” for U.S. staff at the centre, including the ability of American customs officers to carry firearms.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) confirmed to National Post that Canada and the U.S. remain “in discussions” about the timing of the reopening of Canadian enrolment centres, but could not offer a more precise timeline nor specific details about the “legal protections” dispute.

“These discussions are focused on clarifying legal protections for US CBP (Customs and Border Protection) officers while they are working in Canadian enrolment centres. Until that time, enrolment centres in Canada will continue to be closed,” said CBSA spokesperson Sandra Boudreau in a written statement.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
CBC has picked it up now with a comment from the PM. What I don't understand is why this has only become an issue now, at the worst possible time? (Why yes, I *am* currently renewing my NEXUS membership )
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
I can see why there is an issue with US CBP officers carrying firearms in Canadian urban enrollment centers. E.g. Vancouver on Main and Terminal.
arf04 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by trek604
I can see why there is an issue with US CBP officers carrying firearms in Canadian urban enrollment centers. E.g. Vancouver on Main and Terminal.
Yeah. Of all the issues that are messing up travel these days, this is one of the more understandable. Do they really need to carry firearms?
arf04 and pilot007 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Yeah. Of all the issues that are messing up travel these days, this is one of the more understandable. Do they really need to carry firearms?
Not too sure but that's been a sticking point for years. There's been contention at the price Rupert ferry terminal 3 years ago over armed protection for the ferry.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
But that's just it - US agents have carried sidearms as part of their uniform for years. So why is Ottawa only making a fuss about it now?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club
Originally Posted by D404
CBC has picked it up now with a comment from the PM. What I don't understand is why this has only become an issue now, at the worst possible time? (Why yes, I *am* currently renewing my NEXUS membership )
Just a FYI, if you are due for NEXUS renewal just go to the TTP site and complete the application. I did mine and it took about two months for approval with no interviews required. I did have to change some employment info because I am now retired, but that was it. It says on the site "interview required" as a step, but when I received a email saying of status change and to login, those options had been checked as complete. I assume this backlog is more of new applications which will need a interview with CBP and CBSA, and some renewals that have been flagged.
arf04 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Symmetre
But that's just it - US agents have carried sidearms as part of their uniform for years. So why is Ottawa only making a fuss about it now?
Not in Canada.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: EY
I'm not sure if they carried them in the centers inside Canada before. Canadian agents don't carry them there presumably, so I'm not sure why the US is up in arms about this when they didn't carry weapons there previously
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by xobile
I'm not sure if they carried them in the centers inside Canada before. Canadian agents don't carry them there presumably, so I'm not sure why the US is up in arms about this when they didn't carry weapons there previously
To my knowledge, they don't carry them at the Enrollment Centres or Airports. Yes at Land POEs.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:11 pm

Anyone have issues with many already allowed to carry firearms for work in Canada making just over minimum wage and with marginal training. Just wondering. I mean, guy that used to drive around the van with TTC tokens had one. I'm not fussed by US border agents also.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:38 pm

Yes, I’m “fussed”. The fewer people carrying deadly weapons the better. The argument that we already have some people doing it so more doesn’t matter doesn’t seem compelling to me.

I’m also not excited about the fact that if there were an incident there is little to no chance that a US agent would be held accountable. Even less so than many other Canadian law enforcement officials.
OSSYULYYZ, waveman and pilot007 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Joeyjo
Yes, I’m “fussed”. The fewer people carrying deadly weapons the better. The argument that we already have some people doing it so more doesn’t matter doesn’t seem compelling to me.

I’m also not excited about the fact that if there were an incident there is little to no chance that a US agent would be held accountable. Even less so than many other Canadian law enforcement officials.
oh dear. Heaven help us all then.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:59 pm

What a well reasoned response!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.