Wiki Posts
Search

New Egates, YYZ T1 Customs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
New Egates, YYZ T1 Customs

Entering Canada Terminal 1 just got easier! CBSA is testing NEW eGates to deliver a smoother and faster border experience! Travellers 16+ can use eGates to confirm their identity & submit their customs/immigration declaration.

Anyone seen these yet?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Are these the same as the Nexus eGates?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Ya I've used those for Nexus. Hopefully that's just a picture to show them and they're not the same ones that are now shared between both Nexus and non-Nexus.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Are these the same as the Nexus eGates?
If the image in the tweet is what we should expect, they look very different.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC SE
I assume they are the same as the NEXUS ones. I have used them for NEXUS and they were certainly fast and easy. I'm hoping they are in a different spot, though, so that NEXUS still has dedicated lanes and kiosks.

Here's an announcement about the NEXUS eGates from a year ago to show they are the same "machines."

Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Platinum
E-gates YYZ

Originally Posted by vernonc
Sometimes I have gone to the immigration hall after being metered and there has not been a major lineup.
Lets see if those E-gates help though they seem to be in test phase. Loved that I could use E-gates in LHR and also SYD.
Would love someone explain how the E-gates work and who can use them or register to use them??

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 30, 2022 at 10:47 am Reason: Move content to appropriate thread
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by daltimas
Agree 100%, the whole point of ArriveCan app is to remove the burden of CBSA officers to deal with the potential delays in regards to screening for international passengers who need to be screened for COVID. The metering of deplaning passengers needs to be rectified ASAP and if a PAX has Nexus let them off the damn plane as there are no significant lines for NEXUS at Pearson and probably YUL and YVR.
Also the baggage offloading is a serious problem as we all have seen on the news recently. My own experience as I recently travelled with family members who insisted on checking bags was at YYZ the bags for our flight on different occassions were showing that they would be on carousel X and instead they were on carousel Z (with no indication on the Z carousel screens) seriously!!!! Only reason i looked on the other carousels is after 40 mins no bags at all had come up on carousel X so I decided to go on an "Easter egg hunt"

Would love someone explain how the E-gates work and who can use them or register to use them??
Egates : scan your passport or tap your Nexus card. Camera takes a picture and compares, if match, gate opens. Egates have been in operation in AUS, UK etc for some time (years). I entered the UK without speaking to anyone at all using the egates - hope is we will get there in Canada too.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Platinum
are Egates only for Nexus card holders or can anyone with just a passport use them as well?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
are Egates only for Nexus card holders or can anyone with just a passport use them as well?
Anyone can use them. It is currently a test so Canadian passport holders I believe but not sure. They are adjacent to the Nexus area in YYZ. Passport scan on the top on the glass. Nexus tap lower down.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:57 am

With Nexus or a passport if it's an ePassport (biometric passport).
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
But the question is do you still have to speak to a CBSA border guard on the other side and hand them your passport? If so it negates all the automation benefits. Recently the CBSA guards have been checking all passports even if you are nexus!
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by cooleddie
But the question is do you still have to speak to a CBSA border guard on the other side and hand them your passport? If so it negates all the automation benefits. Recently the CBSA guards have been checking all passports even if you are nexus!
I went through them a few weeks ago with Nexus and had to speak to an agent (though that was still during the era of applying a green or pink sticker, so maybe that's changed now?), which seems to negate the primary benefit. But the line was much shorter at least.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I went through them a few weeks ago with Nexus and had to speak to an agent (though that was still during the era of applying a green or pink sticker, so maybe that's changed now?), which seems to negate the primary benefit. But the line was much shorter at least.
I went through last week and had a brief chat with an agent. No stickers at all during that passage…
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club
Has anyone used these gates if they wear glasses? l have very poor eyesight and last time I had someone with me that could tell me if I was the right distance from the camera. Obviously that will not always be the case, so can you leave your glasses on?
I had this problem with the old machines in the beginning but a CBSA agent said to leave the glasses on and after that it was not a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.