Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travel Delays: YYZ T1 vs YYZ T3 vs YUL

Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM

Looking to book a couple of work trips to Europe, starting at the end of this month. Is there much difference between T1 & T3 when it comes to the current delays at Pearson? Or should I just steer clear of Toronto entirely and fly from Montreal instead?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by shadowspar
Looking to book a couple of work trips to Europe, starting at the end of this month. Is there much difference between T1 & T3 when it comes to the current delays at Pearson? Or should I just steer clear of Toronto entirely and fly from Montreal instead?
It doesn't seem that one terminal is consistently worse than the other. The general problems definitely pertain to the whole airport, not just one terminal.

I'd still fly out of YYZ. It's inconvenient perhaps, but an extra hour or two at the beginning and/or end of a several-day-long trip isn't a make or break. People are still getting where they need to go.
shadowspar likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Originally Posted by shadowspar
Just a couple of data points (both dealing wth arrivals not departure):

Ten days ago I flew on AF CDG-YYZ (T3) connecting onto WJ to YWG. Horrendous T3 arrival experience. Although I was probably in the first 10 or so passengers to deplane (in J and allowed off as I had an onward connection -- others had to wait on board) it was not a pleasant experience. Lines ups for passports backed up to well into the upper level of the terminal. The passport hall itself was like a scene from Dante, simply saturated with people (I smiled wryly at the signs enjoining us to keep 2 metres apart) and filled with the incessant shouts to "keep moving" -- kinda hard to do so when there is a solid wall of people in front of you. Well over an hour to reach a machine. Then at least another hour in another line to get to one of the 5 (or maybe 6) passport desks that were open.

I was HBO so could avoid the crowds waiting in the baggage hall. And domestic security at T3 for the WJ flight was quick and efficient. Though I do wonder why T3 does not offer the same sort of OSS connection as T1 (and YUL) do. Maybe the geometry of T3 makes that problematic, or maybe nobody wants to pay for it ?

SWMBO Stanbury returned from MAD-YYZ-YWG just last week on AC, so T1. She reported that it took 45 minutes from hearing the arrival "ding" at the gate to sipping her cuppa in the domestic T1 lounge. Again connecting passengers only were allowed off at first, and she passed through the domestic connection route, not the large passport hall, so these experiences are not truly comparable.

Hope this is of some help. I cannot offer any experience regarding departures originating from YUL or YYZ, since we are invariably connecting from domestic to international, which is a fairly trivial experience at both YUL and YYZ -- both T1 and T3.
shadowspar likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:01 pm

Given the amount of time they recommend to arrive early, frankly, add that to your flight and you could probably take the train or drive. Depending on where you need to be in Montreal driving could put you even further ahead.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:29 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Topcare
Depending on where you need to be in Montreal ...
At the airport boarding a flight to Europe?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.