Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wisdom of a weekend trip to Toronto from US with current delays

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Wisdom of a weekend trip to Toronto from US with current delays

Hello - we have planned a 3.5 day trip to Toronto for the weekend of the 18th. Flying from DCA on AC, but now I'm considering canceling in light of all the Toronto airport delay reports. It appears our planned flights have been cancelled twice in the past 10 days and have been delayed the rest of the time. Would folks recommend just postponing at this point in time given the airport situation? Is there any hope for improvement in the next 10 days? I considered moving the flights to Buffalo but that adds a lot of transfer time for a short trip.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by CttleDog
Hello - we have planned a 3.5 day trip to Toronto for the weekend of the 18th. Flying from DCA on AC, but now I'm considering canceling in light of all the Toronto airport delay reports. It appears our planned flights have been cancelled twice in the past 10 days and have been delayed the rest of the time. Would folks recommend just postponing at this point in time given the airport situation? Is there any hope for improvement in the next 10 days? I considered moving the flights to Buffalo but that adds a lot of transfer time for a short trip.
As much as I'd like you to come to Toronto to enjoy our city, my sense is that at a minimum you need to be prepared for delays. The Canadian (federal) government has displayed little more than incompetence in responding to the increasing demand for international travel.

That said, we have friends coming to visit from Costa Rica this weekend, and they're not letting the prospect of delays stop them.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:53 pm

I fly back and forth to YYZ from USA every few weeks. I have been using BUF to avoid southbound covid tests and YYZ delays (departure and arrival) and have been very happy. It adds a little bit of time but it’s almost a wash given current YYZ delays.
yyzflyer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC SE
As you read people's experiences in this forum and/or on social media, you realize that some people breeze through like it's old times while others spend hours stuck and frustrated. It seems really hard to predict. What's probably safe to predict, though, is that it's going to get worse as we approach July and the beginning of real vacation season.
yyzflyer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Anecdotally from others and my own experience flying into YYZ in the last week, on a mixture of international and domestic flights, expect to be held on the plane for an average of 30 minutes after landing. This number increases the later in the day your flight arrives. If you have checked bags they will not be available quickly. If you plan accordingly and don't have currently unreasonable expectations you will be fine.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:41 pm

Departure security / customs times were running about 10 minutes a few days ago at T3. Highly depends on date and time of arrival and departure flights.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: AC 75K
It likely won't be economical given you're only 11 days out, but I'd also consider flying Porter from IAD-YTZ. Very minimal, if any waits for customs as there's only a handful of Q400 flights that might be arriving at any time. Also a bonus if your destination is downtown Toronto as you are right there.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
It likely won't be economical given you're only 11 days out, but I'd also consider flying Porter from IAD-YTZ. Very minimal, if any waits for customs as there's only a handful of Q400 flights that might be arriving at any time. Also a bonus if your destination is downtown Toronto as you are right there.
Agreed. YTZ is amazing, small, right downtown, very easy to navigate and no crowds. The only downside for me is flying southbound you cannot preclear US customs/immigration (approved for launch in 2023) so you have to do it at IAD which could include long lines if very full/crowded UA/*A flights land at IAD around the same time. So maybe do YTZ northbound and YYZ/BUF southbound? With BUF you can also avoid the covid test.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jun 7, 2022 at 10:11 am
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the input everyone, but it looks like the Gods have chosen for me as I just tested positive, though fortunately without really any symptoms. Given the trickiness with needing to ensure I am testing negative by next week or a pretty tight window to get a letter of recovery, it seems like just rescheduling makes sense. Also, the flight we are supposed to be on to YYZ was cancelled today for like the 4th time in less than 10 days, which doesn't leave me optimistic major improvements are happening...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.