FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Stuck in LIH (Covid+) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/2081321-stuck-lih-covid.html)

petvan May 31, 2022 4:38 pm

Stuck in LIH (Covid+)

Wondering if anyone has any guidance here - lots of interesting information online and can't make all the stories line up ;-)

Flew AC from YYZ to LIH (Kauai) about 10 days ago (AC to LAX, UA to LIH) and my wife tested + for covid last Saturday (mild symptoms a couple days prior).

She is has been fever free and really only a mild cough now - we've been quarantined in the hotel for 5+ days.

At this point, we are trying to figure out when we can return. UA/CDC suggest 10 days from symptom onset. I called AC 75K line and they said 10 days from symptom onset, BUT that ArriveCAN will need proof of the onset - ie, I need to get a doctors note somehow to say she had symptoms a week ago? They referred me to travel.gc.ca where I can see the 10 days post symptoms, but nothing about how you prove that? I can't see the arriveCAN screening questions without an itinerary. Don't want to arrive and only have my word as to when symptoms were onset but at the same time, not sure exactly what I need to verify this.

We're trying to do the right thing of course, but would like to leave as soon as it's ok. Anyone have any recent experience?

Thanks!

P

Called the government to ask about the below on their website - they suggested I need to go get a test and can travel 10 days after that. This makes no sense. We isolated for 5 days and didn't leave the hotel, especially to get a formal test. Had no idea one would be required. Another 10 days will cost me more than the fine
-)

travel.gc.ca:
If you have COVID-19, you must isolate yourself for 10 days upon arrival to Canada. You won't be allowed to board a flight to Canada if you:

WesternCDN May 31, 2022 5:14 pm

I would just fly back after the 10 days. You don't need a test to enter Canada anymore

petvan May 31, 2022 5:50 pm

Indeed - I spoke to them and they sent me more detail, but all the positive test details pertain to proof of prior infection for non-vaccinated.

Adam Smith May 31, 2022 5:53 pm

Since this is a question about Canadian travel requirements and not about AC, I'm moving this to the Canada forum.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator

petvan May 31, 2022 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by WesternCDN (Post 34296493)
I would just fly back after the 10 days. You don't need a test to enter Canada anymore

Thanks Adam - wasn't sure where to find the Canadians ;-)

petvan May 31, 2022 7:13 pm

I think I figured it out - she no longer qualifies as a fully vaccinated traveller so has to provide a pre-entry test for admission. We don't have a PCR while she was sick because we were isolating, and being symptom free we are 10 days or so from being able to re-qualify as a fully vaccinated. In the mean time, the choices are lie on the screener, or wait 10 days or hope for a negative test.

Of note, 10 days where we are will cost more than the fine - the incentive here to lie is very high, hence likely why we import so much covid. Integrity sucks.

YYZ1313 May 31, 2022 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by petvan (Post 34296736)
I think I figured it out - she no longer qualifies as a fully vaccinated traveller so has to provide a pre-entry test for admission. We don't have a PCR while she was sick because we were isolating, and being symptom free we are 10 days or so from being able to re-qualify as a fully vaccinated. In the mean time, the choices are lie on the screener, or wait 10 days or hope for a negative test.

Of note, 10 days where we are will cost more than the fine - the incentive here to lie is very high, hence likely why we import so much covid. Integrity sucks.

This Canadian narrative that we are importing COVID is false. COVID is all over the country and what happens at the border at this point is irrelevant.

thatmikereed Jun 1, 2022 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by petvan (Post 34296736)

Does she have symptoms of COVID, or symptoms of Pneumonia, influenza or allergies? If she's symptom free, what symptoms of COVID is she exhibiting that might not also be symptoms of other non-COVID illness?

petvan Jun 2, 2022 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by thatmikereed (Post 34298972)
Does she have symptoms of COVID, or symptoms of Pneumonia, influenza or allergies? If she's symptom free, what symptoms of COVID is she exhibiting that might not also be symptoms of other non-COVID illness?

Hi,

She _had_ symptoms of a variety of things - could be cold, could be covid/flu etc. We have decided to wait 10+ days to be safe and fly back. I remain confused by the specific guidance and expect many people with symptoms just fly and cross the border without issue. Seems if you are symptom free (ish) and fully vaxxed you just cross. If you had symptoms yesterday, no issues.

thatmikereed Jun 2, 2022 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by petvan (Post 34301718)
She _had_ symptoms of a variety of things - could be cold, could be covid/flu etc. We have decided to wait 10+ days to be safe and fly back. I remain confused by the specific guidance and expect many people with symptoms just fly and cross the border without issue. Seems if you are symptom free (ish) and fully vaxxed you just cross. If you had symptoms yesterday, no issues.

I've flown with a stuffy nose, runny nose and small off-and-on cough all spring. I have allergic rhinitis. My symptoms are allergy symptoms even though they're also COVID symptoms. I've had no exposure and no positive tests - ever - but you're right that the approach here is functionally useless.

At its strictest, this would mean folks suffering from seasonal allergies could never fly again.

petvan Jun 2, 2022 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by thatmikereed (Post 34302021)
but you're right that the approach here is functionally useless.

This! Thank you for saying just what I feel. If you take their guidance to the letter, you'll never get in. Nice guys finishing last.

P