Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

What are summer 2022 requirements for masks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2022, 8:32 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I searched, I really did. I didn't find a thread in either the Air Canada forum or this forum about current requirements for masks. What are they? Do we need to wear masks on flights that enter Canada? in Canadian airports? where else? Do we need to wear masks in hotels? in restaurants?

Thanks for educating me on the current requirements.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I searched, I really did. I didn't find a thread in either the Air Canada forum or this forum about current requirements for masks. What are they? Do we need to wear masks on flights that enter Canada? in Canadian airports? where else? Do we need to wear masks in hotels? in restaurants?

Thanks for educating me on the current requirements.
As of right now, yes to wearing masks on flights to Canada (whether or not the crew enforces is another matter) and definitely in airports. Other than that, no. Mask restrictions are based on where you are going but here in BC, the only other place that masks are required is in health care settings, like hospitals. Not required in restaurants, hotels, public transit, or anywhere else. No other restrictions at all anywhere and I haven't seen anyone wearing a mask other than when I went to the dentist.

Have a look at the provincial restrictions for the province you are going to. BC is here https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...o/restrictions
Old May 26, 2022, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. This is very helpful. We'll have a long start and a long end to the trip wearing masks, but am grateful that once on Canadian soil and out of airports, we won't need to wear them. This trip was initially booked in 2020, then rolled to 2021, and now, finally, it should happen in 2022.
Finkface likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
It does depend on where you are going, as these rules are set by the provincial authorities, so Ontario does have rules that masks need to be worn on public transit as well as any health care setting, at least until June 11th. I'm heading over on the 5th and leaving on the 17th, so can report back real world experience on mask wearing, but it is worth checking each and any province you are going to (as Finkface also suggested).
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 8:40 am
Original Poster

We will be in British Columbia for our entire visit. Much of the time we will be in the Khutzmateen Grizzly Bear Sanctuary. It can only be traveled by boat. Last year, masks were required on the boat. I'm happy that we will be able to be mask free. We are also going to Nisga'a Museum. I just checked and their website continues to show that masks are required.
GregWTravels likes this.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 27, 2022 at 9:23 am
Old May 28, 2022, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We will be in British Columbia for our entire visit. Much of the time we will be in the Khutzmateen Grizzly Bear Sanctuary. It can only be traveled by boat. Last year, masks were required on the boat. I'm happy that we will be able to be mask free. We are also going to Nisga'a Museum. I just checked and their website continues to show that masks are required.
That’s interesting… I wouldn’t think public places or businesses can require masks without government approval.
Old May 28, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by Covidian98
That’s interesting… I wouldn’t think public places or businesses can require masks without government approval.
It varies by jurisdiction, but in Ontario any business or organization can require masking at their discretion. No government is involved.
Old May 29, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
It varies by jurisdiction, but in Ontario any business or organization can require masking at their discretion. No government is involved.
I'm planning on bringing masks so I have them available, though will admit that I have gotten out of the habit of walking out with one in my pocket so might need to write myself notes to remember to leave the hotel with one.

Out of interest, in Toronto how many places are still requiring masks, specifically places like restaurants, bars and entertainment places?
Old May 29, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
I live outside Toronto itself, so anything would be a guess. Locally only a handful of restaurants/bars and smaller shops have notices posted. They're currently still required in healthcare settings, with that expected to change soon. Canadian Marriott hotels removed their mandate earlier this week, but still recommend for guests and require for employees. Many grocery stores also recommend their use and masks are required in anything federally-regulated - passport offices and the airport for example. Enforcement in the airport is stringent, with the notable exception of having to remove it for identification purposes, but elsewhere enforcement just isn't there. Carrying one is not a bad idea.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:36 pm

I just flew in/out of Kelowna (YLW). They only require masks in the secure airside section of the airport, but not landside at check in or baggage claim. Airport staff were following suit, no masks on agents during check in but masks when boarding the flight.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gigafishing
I just flew in/out of Kelowna (YLW). They only require masks in the secure airside section of the airport, but not landside at check in or baggage claim. Airport staff were following suit, no masks on agents during check in but masks when boarding the flight.
That was my experience departing YLW on April 24th heading to SEA. I returned via PHL-YYZ on May 22nd on AA. No request to mask during the flight to YYZ and only put one on to clear immigration & customs. I was surprised of the requirement to wear a mask before security at the airport for my departure to YLW the next day. There wasn't any requirement at the Sheraton in YYZ, not even for dining or for Club Lounge access.

James
Old May 31, 2022, 6:47 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
I have flown 3 Delta flights and 2 Air Canada flight between US and Canada within the last month or so.

On all 3 Delta flights, masks were optional and were not required. It was kind of interesting as when we landed in Toronto, we didn't have to put on a mask, until we deplaned and got out. And a gate agent was there to remind you to out on a mask after the flight. Similarly, on the outbound from Toronto, we had to keep our masks on in the airport,but were allowed to take off our masks once the doors were closed.

On the other hand, for Air Canada flights, we had to wear our masks the whole time throughout the flight.

The rules are inconsistent depending on the airline you fly, lol.

If you want a maskless flight, I recommend flying a US based airline instead of a Canadian airline. It's more comfortable.

I personally will try fly US based airlines until Canada removes its mask mandate.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
I'm planning on bringing masks so I have them available, though will admit that I have gotten out of the habit of walking out with one in my pocket so might need to write myself notes to remember to leave the hotel with one.

Out of interest, in Toronto how many places are still requiring masks, specifically places like restaurants, bars and entertainment places?
​​​​​​In Toronto and Ontario, masks are not required EXCEPT for at the airport or when taking public transit. Masks are not required for shopping malls, hotels, restaurants, etc. This may change in June upon the next review date by Ontario government, likely after the election
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Covidian98
?? It's a free country.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by cooleddie
I have flown 3 Delta flights and 2 Air Canada flight between US and Canada within the last month or so.

On all 3 Delta flights, masks were optional and were not required. It was kind of interesting as when we landed in Toronto, we didn't have to put on a mask, until we deplaned and got out. And a gate agent was there to remind you to out on a mask after the flight. Similarly, on the outbound from Toronto, we had to keep our masks on in the airport,but were allowed to take off our masks once the doors were closed.

On the other hand, for Air Canada flights, we had to wear our masks the whole time throughout the flight.

The rules are inconsistent depending on the airline you fly, lol.

If you want a maskless flight, I recommend flying a US based airline instead of a Canadian airline. It's more comfortable.

I personally will try fly US based airlines until Canada removes its mask mandate.
I flew AS about 10 days ago, SEA-YVR. Masks were rigorously enforced and multiple announcements were made during the flight. So the blanket statement about flying a US airline isn't accurate. It is likely more crew-dependent than airline-dependent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.