Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

U.S.-bound connecting passengers have to clear security twice at Toronto YYZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 10:48 am
Original Poster

We just returned from a trip to Florida. Flew with WestJet with a connecting flight at Toronto YYZ. We went thru Security at our departure airport, but in Toronto we had to come out & go through Security AGAIN before we boarded our connecting flight to TPA. Can anyone explain why US-connecting passengers have to come out & endure lining up through Security again, instead of simply going to our connecting gate, like passengers connecting yo other CANADIAN cities..?
Old May 25, 2022, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by jargey3000
We just returned from a trip to Florida. Flew with WestJet with a connecting flight at Toronto YYZ. We went thru Security at our departure airport, but in Toronto we had to come out & go through Security AGAIN before we boarded our connecting flight to TPA. Can anyone explain why US-connecting passengers have to come out & endure lining up through Security again, instead of simply going to our connecting gate, like passengers connecting yo other CANADIAN cities..?
Once you (or anyone) have access to your checked luggage for Customs purposes you have to redo security. YYZ T1 AC has seamless connections where you can transfer within the sterile area. T3 and Westjet do not.
Old May 25, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Once you (or anyone) have access to your checked luggage for Customs purposes you have to redo security. YYZ T1 AC has seamless connections where you can transfer within the sterile area. T3 and Westjet do not.
Every time I connect in YYZ T1 I have to redo security to travel to the US.
Old May 25, 2022, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
i frequently connect yvr -> yyz -> us destinations and i have always been required to clear security twice: once at yvr and once at yyz
Old May 30, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Intesting that with the reverse situation one does not need double security:

I came to YOW from HNL via YVR and YYZ yesterday.

I went through TSA precheck security in HNL; no second security check required in Vancouver.

So If Canada does not require 2nd security for onward connecting passengers at Canadian airports coming from USA - why does US require second security for connecting passengers at US preclearance at Canadian airports?
Old May 30, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
The US requires certain security screening proceedures / restrictions for pre-cleared flights from Canada that are different from those required for domestic Canadian air travel. Therefore, passengers boarding flights to the US must go through special US-standard security prior to pre-clearance at Canadian airports, even if they have already cleared standard Canadian screening prior to their inbound domestic flight.

(It is my understanding that when BA offered their LCY-SNN-JFK service, pax had to re-clear special US security during the SNN fuel stop...)

I would be interested to know if this also applies to flights that are not pre-cleared, e.g. a Porter flight YOW-YTZ-EWR.... ?
Old May 31, 2022, 10:48 am

I think I recall the double security situation for connecting US bound happens because US CBP officers require any passengers they interact with to have gone through US standard of security which may not be the same as Canadian security. This was also the reason that US preclearance facilties were all reconfigured a few years ago so that you check bags and go through security BEFORE seeing a CBP officer. It used to be that you brought your luggage with you through US pre-clearance, then dropped them at a belt and go through secuirty after seeing an officer.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Jono
I think I recall the double security situation for connecting US bound happens because US CBP officers require any passengers they interact with to have gone through US standard of security which may not be the same as Canadian security. This was also the reason that US preclearance facilties were all reconfigured a few years ago so that you check bags and go through security BEFORE seeing a CBP officer. It used to be that you brought your luggage with you through US pre-clearance, then dropped them at a belt and go through secuirty after seeing an officer.
Yea I was told this as well. Without guns the US preclearance officers felt very vulnerable with security after immigration/customs so they switched it.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.