Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Security at YYZ (2022)

Security at YYZ (2022)

Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:44 am

Checking the CATSA wait times periodically throughout the day shows there's a clear morning rush, a mid-afternoon rush, and an early evening rush at various terminals and destinations (domestic, transborder, international). Keep an eye on the trends in the days leading up to the flight, but as already stated with Nexus there shouldn't be any major issue getting to the front of the queue. What happens after that is still a wild card.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:46 pm

If I clear security in YWG and go to YYZ to get a connection to FRA I don't have to re clear security do I? Been a long time since I've done this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
if you remain in the terminal no, e.g. T3-T3 or T1-T1
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:05 am

Yeah staying T1. That's what i thought. Was getting confused with US customs pre clearance.

Thank you
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold, US Dividend Miles Silver
Please Share Your Very Recent YYZ - T1 International (non-US) departure experience

I'm flying to FRA on Thurs pm, looking to see if security waits have improved and what others have experienced.
Flying AC, carry-on only.
Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: AC SE
From what I have read, experienced, and observed, the great majority of the issues with security relate to the early morning rush. I think it is particularly pronounced when heading to the United States. You may experience some slowdowns in the evening as you head to the international area, but I would not expect it to be nearly as bad as the worst of the media reports. Then, of course, you may experience flight delays (which are a separate issue). Lost luggage is another concern, but one youll avoid by doing carry-on only.

If it was me, I would stick with the usual 3-hour timeframe and assume Id make it through in plenty of time. I dont think theres any great likelihood that youll be more than an hour from stepping into the airport to clearing security.

(My recent experience was late afternoon and we were about 15 minutes from taxi to lounge.)
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:23 am

I was on the 16:45 AC flight to FRA last week. I got there about 3 hours early, but managed to check in my lugguage (self service) and go through security in under 20 mins. It might get a bit busier later in the afternoon with more international flights in the evening.
shadowspar likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC, Aeroplan, Amex Aeroplan Reserve, NEXUS/GE
Got a question about security at YYZ and NEXUS - I just got approved today and I do a lot of frequent travel domestically for work especially in the early mornings (when YYZ security is very busy). Any tips for what can I do? Does NEXUS have dedicated lanes for domestic or do we just skip the line to the front for domestic flights?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:28 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by freqflyer9
Got a question about security at YYZ and NEXUS - I just got approved today and I do a lot of frequent travel domestically for work especially in the early mornings (when YYZ security is very busy). Any tips for what can I do? Does NEXUS have dedicated lanes for domestic or do we just skip the line to the front for domestic flights?
I believe Domestic is still lumped in with International. Nexus has a dedicated line entrance separate from priority security (status, etc) but they end up at the same security lane. However if you just got approved I think youll need to wait until you get the actual card.

If you already have status and/or credit card benefits that get you priority security dont expect anything too different, but if not it will get you to the dedicated lane separate from the rest of the passengers.

Entrance to Nexus is closer to where you exit from ACs aisle 1, priority security despite ending up in the same place is closer to the normal entrance area into security.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC, Aeroplan, Amex Aeroplan Reserve, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by wjw
I believe Domestic is still lumped in with International. Nexus has a dedicated line entrance separate from priority security (status, etc…) but they end up at the same security lane. However if you just got approved I think you’ll need to wait until you get the actual card.

If you already have status and/or credit card benefits that get you priority security don’t expect anything too different, but if not it will get you to the dedicated lane separate from the rest of the passengers.

Entrance to Nexus is closer to where you exit from AC’s aisle 1, priority security despite ending up in the same place is closer to the normal entrance area into security.
Thanks for the reply! I just wanted to provide a quick update in case anyone was wondering - I fly AC out of Terminal 1 at YYZ and there's a secluded entrance to security on the domestic side for NEXUS/GE members and I was able to get in!

Last edited by freqflyer9; Aug 10, 2022 at 1:12 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:22 pm

The hours for the Amex Kioks for Domestic departures at Terminal 1 are between 6am-8pm and Transborder/ International departures are between 6am-2pm. If you have an international departure in the evening, would the priority QR code from Domestic Departure Kiosk work or priority security?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Tues Sep 13 report
DL departue USA transborder T3
Arrived airport at 530am for 700am departure
Nexus - no line
Normal security - no line
Checkin to Gate in under 15 mins.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:13 pm

US vs. CA AmEx Plat?

Does this AmEx kiosk to generate the Pearson Security Lane QR codes require that you hold a Canadian Platinum card? Or does it work for US Platinum cardholders, too?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pl804
Does this AmEx kiosk to generate the Pearson Security Lane QR codes require that you hold a Canadian Platinum card? Or does it work for US Platinum cardholders, too?
dont know if there is a specific requirement to hold the Canadian card. I can share that last year, when it wasnt a kiosk (didnt know there was), but when it was a table with a couple of folks looking at card, then giving the priority slip, I used my US Amex plat and no questions asked - I dont think the Canadian and American cards even look much different that one would be able to tell without looking pretty closely.

Certainly, there is no promo of this benefit with the US card, but I believe there are other international airports where an Amex plat can get you to priority security, so I suspect any Amex plat should work.
GUWonder, pl804 and TheCanuckian like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by emcampbe
dont know if there is a specific requirement to hold the Canadian card. I can share that last year, when it wasn’t a kiosk (didn’t know there was), but when it was a table with a couple of folks looking at card, then giving the priority slip, I used my US Amex plat and no questions asked - I don’t think the Canadian and American cards even look much different that one would be able to tell without looking pretty closely.

Certainly, there is no promo of this benefit with the US card, but I believe there are other international airports where an Amex plat can get you to priority security, so I suspect any Amex plat should work.
Yes, there are other such airports. For example, Stockholm-Arlanda airport. The priority security benefit for ARN is marketed to Swedish Plats/Centurions, but my US Amex cards work just fine at that Swedish airport upon showing the equivalent US cards to the Swedish accounts card members who are told they get this benefit at ARN. In my case with US cards, the card scan at ARN didn’t seem to work for the staffing persons, and so they would just eye it and let me proceed anyway. Showing the physical US cards had also previously worked at YYZ like that, but this Amex priority security thing at YYZ seemed to come and go at times. Maybe I’ll get a stab at it again next month.
pl804 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.