Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YUL - International/USA Connection Procedure

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Not that I have ever transited YUL but your question may be answered by the usual of
  • whether you have trusted traveller status (it might be possible Nexus might have a very slight edge over GE in an exceptional case of things not going right),
  • where you're sitting in the a/c in relation to the disembarkation door, and
  • what other flights arrive the same time or just before yours does.

https://www.admtl.com/en/guide/connecting-flights

Is the downside is you have to buy a walk-up ticket to NYC?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:59 pm

Hmm, If you miss your connection I doubt TK will be of much assistance, given their poor service track record. Not sure about AC. UA may have washed their hands of any liability as they merely acted as booking agent, not operating carrier. I assume this flight was booked using MP points? I live in Montréal, and hence haven't ever connected.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Without checked bags, 90 minutes is sufficient time for an Intl-US connection at YUL. There is a direct transfer path that avoids you going through full Canadian immigration, and drops you directly at US pre-clearance.

However, what if your flight from IST is delayed and you end up with significantly less than 90 minutes? I'm not sure what "keeping the connection at your own risk" means, but if it means that if you don't make it, you're on your own, then I'd think twice. Walk-up fares to LGA can be pricey.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:01 am

90 minutes is definitely doable, but there are so many delays and cancellations these days that I would not risk that. Never mind the "at your own risk" statement.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Not that I have ever transited YUL but your question may be answered by the usual of
  • whether you have trusted traveller status (it might be possible Nexus might have a very slight edge over GE in an exceptional case of things not going right),
  • where you're sitting in the a/c in relation to the disembarkation door, and
  • what other flights arrive the same time or just before yours does.

https://www.admtl.com/en/guide/connecting-flights

Is the downside is you have to buy a walk-up ticket to NYC?

I have GE

I am sitting several rows away from the door to the plane, in business class

I don't know what the consequences of missing the connection would be

UA told me there are no other flights out of Montreal into NYC if I miss my flight, as it is the last flight of the evening.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyme2
Hmm, If you miss your connection I doubt TK will be of much assistance, given their poor service track record. Not sure about AC. UA may have washed their hands of any liability as they merely acted as booking agent, not operating carrier. I assume this flight was booked using MP points? I live in Montréal, and hence haven't ever connected.
Correct, it was booked through UA using UA miles
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by jdel06

I don't know what the consequences of missing the connection would be

UA told me there are no other flights out of Montreal into NYC if I miss my flight, as it is the last flight of the evening.
So the consequence is an overnight in Montreal. Lots of decent hotel choices close by, and in terminal.

The GE will definitely help you, the Nexus lane is always much quieter, and there is a Nexus corridor to the customs agents too, that is to the right of the luggage claim office.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
This sounds like a big risk where the consequence is OP may have to pay a walk-up fare or rent a car and drive YUL-LGA.

YUL-LGA is operated by AC not UA. If flight is missed, OP could end up in a situation where no airline takes responsibility because connection is inside of MCT. Maybe UA can force open a seat on YUL-EWR operated by UX.

Also note that if the arrival of inbound is in the afternoon, passenger might be stuck in the corridor leading to the arrival hall as airport staff is controlling passenger flow by roping off access to the elevator/escalator. While airport staff have been letting NEXUS members thru, these passengers will have to "work their way through the crowd" to get to the airport staff.

Last edited by seawolf; Apr 7, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
This sounds like a big risk where the consequence is OP may have to pay a walk-up fare or rent a car and drive YUL-LGA.

YUL-LGA is operated by AC not UA. If flight is missed, OP could end up in a situation where no airline takes responsibility because connection is inside of MCT. Maybe UA can force open a seat on YUL-EWR operated by UX.

Also note that if the arrival of inbound is in the afternoon, passenger might be stuck in the corridor leading to the arrival hall as airport staff is controlling passenger flow by roping off access to the elevator/escalator. While airport staff have been letting NEXUS members thru, these passengers will have to "work their way through the crowd" to get to the airport staff.
yes, 100% good point. If you end up in a huge scrum in the hallways before the escalators. Work your way to the front and show staff your card. They will let you through before the non Nexus crowd.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:20 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to change my return flight to a direct route (IST - NYC). The reason I was flying IST - YUL - LGA was for a preferable aircraft (1 - 2 - 1 in business), but you've all convinced me that I'm better off just flying 2-2 and going direct IST - NYC.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 10:29 am

COVID testing protocol LHR-YUL-IAD?

This fall, we may fly LHR-YUL-IAD.

If US testing protocols are still in place and Canada continues to not test, does Air Canada consider YUL to be our entry point (no test) or US (test)?

If US (test), can our flight be changed at time of LHR departure to terminate in YUL? If so, we could drive across border and figure out next flight from there.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 10:37 am

We are flying FCO-YUL-MCO tomorrow and AC indicated we need a test to board the FCO-YUL segment. Hopefully, by the fall the testing requirements will be dropped.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 10:41 am

Thanks for the quick feedback. How did they notify you of this?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by fishingcarlos
This fall, we may fly LHR-YUL-IAD.

If US testing protocols are still in place and Canada continues to not test, does Air Canada consider YUL to be our entry point (no test) or US (test)?

If US (test), can our flight be changed at time of LHR departure to terminate in YUL? If so, we could drive across border and figure out next flight from there.
Air Canada typically doesn’t yet you start a journey you cannot finish. So it is going to require completion of all entry requirements for your final destination before you start your journey.

This is no different than AC doing a passport/visa check before a domestic flight that connects to an international flight. If you have a sufficiently long connection and have a test appointment booked in Montreal you might be able to convince them to let you start the journey, but no guarantees.

If your question is rooted in you wanting to respond to a failed test in the UK by flying to Canada and then driving across the border, beyond being problematic for all of the passengers on your flight, you would need to lie to AC during checkin to fly that first leg.

If you are worried about the consequences of getting COVID in the UK and being trapped, you probably shouldn’t go.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:54 pm

Thanks for your response. No, this is about not having to test at all if I terminated the flight in Canada. We will take this into account before we book. Not our first trip to UK in last year, just our first possibly on Air Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.