Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

7(ish) hours to kill in YUL. Any suggestions

Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS, Aeroplan, SkyMiles, WestJet, IHG Platinum, IC Ambassador

I'll have a 7 hour layover in YUL on an April Saturday between 10:00 and 15:00. I've never been to Montreal. Any suggestions on some quick and/or easy things to check out in that time? Or should I just chill in the MLL at the airport?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:33 am

It is not a huge amount of time, depending where you are flying to afterwards. You are close to an hour from downtown, after clearing customs and immigration, which can take a while, and you could be selected for random testing. To add to that returning and going back through security, and maybe US immigration. It is really the worst amount of layover time, too much and not enough. I would stick to the lounge.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Whether or not you have in-bound immigration or out-bound immigration (to the US) will impact your planning.
On a Saturday, it should not take more than 30-40 mins in a cab or Uber.
If it's sunny, go to Place Jacques-Cartier or Notre-Dame Basilica. Walk around Old Montreal and soak in the atmosphere.
If it's raining, go to Montreal Museum of Archaeology and History.
All three places are near each other and are perfect for a first-time visitor.
--
13F
Croptop and kalderlake like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for the responses. My flights in and out are domestic so I shouldn't have to worry about immigration wait times. I also, however, realised that I failed my grade 3 maths here in that I reported a layover from 10:00 to 15:00 as 7 hours when in reality it's only 5. What can I say? I'm a moron.

Thanks again for the suggested sights. The museum sounds very interesting. I'll google it for more information.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:11 am

https://pacmusee.qc.ca/en/ Museum is known locally as the Pointe-a-Calliere museum, based on it's location. It is indeed fabulous.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ and Croptop like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
The 747 Bus from the Airport to Rue St Katherine would be interesting at least.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Davvidd
The 747 Bus from the Airport to Rue St Katherine would be interesting at least.
I'll be honest; I had to Google that to be sure that I wasn't being set up for some sort of untoward "adventure". But it turned out to be a very interesting suggestion. Thanks for that.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:16 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I had two 4-ish hour layovers in YUL last weekend. I used the first one to go to Schwartz's for some smoked meat and the second to go to Banquise for some poutine. Although I also lived there for four years, so no particular need for sightseeing, just a desire to enjoy my favourite Montreal foods
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I had two 4-ish hour layovers in YUL last weekend. I used the first one to go to Schwartz's for some smoked meat and the second to go to Banquise for some poutine.
Now we're talking! Both of those are on the shortlist for sure. Thank you.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Croptop
Now we're talking! Both of those are on the shortlist for sure. Thank you.
If you are going to Schwartz's, you might also want to pick up some bagels nearby https://fairmountbagel.com/
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jono
If you are going to Schwartz's, you might also want to pick up some bagels nearby https://fairmountbagel.com/
And if you like a good coffee and Leonard Cohen you can see his childhood home at parc du Portugal and have a Coffee at Cafe Le Darling on the other side of Saint-Laurent.
5min walk from Schwartz's.
Thats what I call Montreal on a clock
Edit: and in between Schwartz's and Fairmont bagel.

Last edited by Stil; Mar 25, 2022 at 6:37 am
Old Mar 25, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I walked from Fairmount Bagel to Schwartz's a few weeks ago. The hard part was to resist the scent of bagels from my bag while waiting in the ~45min line outside Schwartz... this was for take-out, the dining in was still closed at the time.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 11:58 am
Original Poster

I'm reasonably sure I won't get bagels through security for the outbound flight. And I _really_ want some poutine. So I'm seriously leaning towards La Banquise at the moment.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Croptop
I'm reasonably sure I won't get bagels through security for the outbound flight. And I _really_ want some poutine. So I'm seriously leaning towards La Banquise at the moment.
FYI I brought 4 dozen bagels home last trip with no checked luggage. Security let me keep all the bagels but confiscated my cream cheese spreads.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I'm reasonably sure I won't get bagels through security for the outbound flight.
Why would bagels not be okay through security? I have taken them many times...
Seat13F_AC_CRJ and Adam Smith like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.