Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Latest federal travel advisory 15Dec2021 - are you cancelling travel or still going?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Latest federal travel advisory 15Dec2021 - are you cancelling travel or still going?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by The Lev
For those who had travel plans booked over the holidays, given the Federal government's latest "advisory" against non-essential international travel, I'm curious who will cancel upcoming trips planned for the holidays and who is carrying on.

In my case, I am still planning to travel to ZRH on Friday but one daughter Lev has cancelled a short trip to PSP planned for Saturday.
no f’ing way.

In US now, Europe next week, Europe again in. Jan. Trudeau can get stuffed
xiphoid76, Symmetre, leoo and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by tomvancouver
Did not proceed with loose plans for somewhere warm in mid Jan. The risks of getting stuck are too high and there may be an issue with medical insurance depending on the wording of any government advisory, which could change as the situation deteriorates. With a beautiful day of snow capped mountains in Vancouver, it ain't such a bad place to be.

rubbish.

I have been travelling the past 18 months with only issue being a few PCR tests. One needs to move on.

I left your snow covered Vancouver mountains yesterday... the US is better
24left likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Yeah, full steam ahead on 2 weeks in Mexico planned for right after New Year. I'm triple vaxxed, have the CoverMe policy (which I also read to still be in effect if you contract Covid) as well as a pretty robust emergency health travel plan through work. The only thing that will stop me is the airlines cancelling service, but so far, I'm not seeing anything open up. My flight has been zeroed in all classes for weeks, so even if 20% cancel, it might just get them out of a massive oversale jam (this is with AC).

I'm tired of bending over backwards to protect the unvaccinated. The vast majority of us have done the right thing, and will soon get a booster, and even if you contract Omicron as a double vaxxed, it seems like symptoms are generally mild. All this is to protect the health care system from being overrun by the unvaccinated when they get it. To me, the first question should be "Are you vaccinated? No? There are some cots in that field across the parking lot. Good luck."

At this point, I have zero issue with the unvaccinated dying. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Just do it quick so the rest of us can get on with our lives.
24left likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Not cancelling anything.

Senseless border closings, like the prompt response of several countries to SA's report of the new omicron variant, seem to do meaningful economic harm - which thereby causes human harm - without adequate benefit.

We are vaccinated, boosted, insured, ticketed, and hopeful that governments will start making better decisions.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:39 am
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
We are in the opposite situation from most people in this thread. We live in the US and have planned a trip to Whistler BC this winter. As of now, our plan is to still go. The only thing that would change our plans would be a mandatory quarantine upon entering Canada.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Not canceling jack!

Headed to Dubai next week, then Vienna.

Triple vaxxed, insured, and ready to fly!

IMHO, canceling at this point is silly and though everyone is entitled to make their own choices, I seriously am mystified as to why some countries are reacting to Omicron with punitive and economically harmful measures.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Platinum
Still waiting/watching with regard to DXB next month. If they brought back hotel quarantine that would probably settle it.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
We would cancel our Feb trip to OGG only under one of these circumstances:
  1. A law is changed to prevent us from going.
  2. It becomes logistically impossible to get there or back (for the 2020 OGG trip all the flights were canceled which is why we didn't go.)
  3. Despite our vaccination status and our health insurance policy, the evidence at the time is such that travelling would actually be a risk to us personally.
  4. If going there would place an unfair burden on the local population's well being.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Going!
The extended family is heading to SXM Saturday for two weeks - rented a house so no hotel issues. Have a fistful of antigen tests for before and during, and our LAMP tests for the return trip, and we all got boosted yesterday, so we are loaded for bear!!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
FYI PCR Test

Originally Posted by The Lev
For those who had travel plans booked over the holidays, given the Federal government's latest "advisory" against non-essential international travel, I'm curious who will cancel upcoming trips planned for the holidays and who is carrying on.

In my case, I am still planning to travel to ZRH on Friday but one daughter Lev has cancelled a short trip to PSP planned for Saturday.

Just traveled home from Spain. My seat mate had to travel to ZHR. they needed a pcr test to check in..
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Given that half of Ottawa will be headed south for their Christmas holidays over the next few days, I figure we're safe till mid-January at least. Only after the last of the MPs and MPPs return home will Ottawa even consider ratcheting things down further.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
hopeful that governments will start making better decisions.
You'll be hoping for a while.
Arthurrs and leoo like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Given that half of Ottawa will be headed south for their Christmas holidays over the next few days, I figure we're safe till mid-January at least. Only after the last of the MPs and MPPs return home will Ottawa even consider ratcheting things down further.
I read that Liberals and NDP members are forbidden from leaving Canada over the holidays but Conservatives may do so.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by 2old4coach
Just traveled home from Spain. My seat mate had to travel to ZHR. they needed a pcr test to check in..
Thanks - got the test done yesterday. Now just need the results.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: ba silver
Looking forward to Dubai in early January. Will only cancel if a government prevents me from traveling. I' m in good health, triple vaxxed spent a fortune on insurance. Flying in a business class pod proper social distancing should be maintained. I work in health care and handle positive covid samples as part of my job and believe me I need the break.

Only thing I am worried about is being stranded but I have a feeling I'll be able to find a flight out of the UAE. Flying on a paid AA ticket. All flights operated by BA. Only question I have is in case of flight cancelation while I am there is BA legally liable to get me back under either EU or Canadian law. I know Canadian law requires rebooting on any flight after nine hours, I' m pretty sure any airline that flies you into the country is legally required to get you out, the UAE government won't simply let you stay indefinitely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.