Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YYZ International Arrivals

YYZ International Arrivals

Old Jul 6, 22, 5:03 am
  #226  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: YYZ / HKG / DXB
Programs: AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by yyztozag View Post
Just ordered a 4-pack of AirTags. Namely, Iíll need them for checked bags (Pearson sh-crapshow) and my car (carjackings). The Toronto Duo
I bought 3 Samsung SmartTags and have trying it out in the car, keys and wife's keys (I don't really have a huge use case apart from luggage TBH).
So far it's been pretty interesting how it can ping off other Samsung Galaxy devices, even if its not within our household.

I hope that there are at least some Samsung Galaxy users with their bluetooth on at Pearson so I can track it when I land!
cager is offline  
Old Jul 6, 22, 6:40 am
  #227  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: York, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Posts: 1,026
Originally Posted by cager View Post
I bought 3 Samsung SmartTags and have trying it out in the car, keys and wife's keys (I don't really have a huge use case apart from luggage TBH).
So far it's been pretty interesting how it can ping off other Samsung Galaxy devices, even if its not within our household.

I hope that there are at least some Samsung Galaxy users with their bluetooth on at Pearson so I can track it when I land!
I thought I had taken a screenshot but I must have forgotten.
My Samsung tags worked a treat on arrival the other day.
S_W_S is offline  
Old Jul 6, 22, 5:09 pm
  #228  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan 35K/Star Alliance Silver, Accor Silver, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Posts: 600
Originally Posted by cager View Post
I hope that there are at least some Samsung Galaxy users with their bluetooth on at Pearson so I can track it when I land!
There'll probably be someone with a Samsung near it at most points. Once your bag makes it to the terminal, I can just about guarantee that it'll be within 15m of a Galaxy at all times.
yyztozag is offline  
Old Jul 22, 22, 9:16 pm
  #229  
CJN
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 4
Going STL-YYZ-YUL in about a month all on AC. Itinerary shows 2 hr layover at YYZ but flight history for last 2 weeks shows an avg. delay of 30-40 min on the first leg. Plus we'll be sky checking bags (yay CRJ).

So realistically, it looks like I'll have 1hr to make the connection (30 min arrival delay + next flight boarding 30 min early). Looks like both flights are terminal 1. Should I be booking a backup flight now or can I rest easy?

Last edited by CJN; Jul 22, 22 at 9:24 pm
CJN is offline  
Old Jul 23, 22, 2:00 am
  #230  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: AC S100K
Posts: 977
Originally Posted by CJN View Post
Going STL-YYZ-YUL in about a month all on AC. Itinerary shows 2 hr layover at YYZ but flight history for last 2 weeks shows an avg. delay of 30-40 min on the first leg. Plus we'll be sky checking bags (yay CRJ).

So realistically, it looks like I'll have 1hr to make the connection (30 min arrival delay + next flight boarding 30 min early). Looks like both flights are terminal 1. Should I be booking a backup flight now or can I rest easy?
I kind of think you’re likely to be okay, based on the history of that flight. At least, personally I would come up with a good plan b, but not actually purchase other flights. Skycheck usually only adds 10-15 minutes and then you’re off to the connections area which tends to move quite quickly. If, in the end, you get an hour at YYZ you’re probably okay. And if not, the next flight to YUL is probably just an hour later.

I mean, if we can’t have pretty good confidence in a two-hour YYZ-YUL connection, I just give up…
TheCanuckian is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 10:26 am
  #231  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SIN
Programs: AC E, SPG PLAT, Marriott PLAT
Posts: 13
Moving home w/ max bags & 2 little ones - have questions!

Flying SIN-ICN-YYZ next week (AC on the last leg), party of 4 w/ 2 little ones (<7yrs).

This is a 1-way ticket as I'm relocating home after living abroad for 15yrs.

We are schedule to land at 6:35pm but since my wife needs to complete her PR paperwork, it's going to be quite late before we step out of the Baggage Hall...so smoothness is paramount because of the kids & the long-haul!

This is where I need some expert help!

3 key questions (so far!):
  1. Are Baggage Porter Services readily available these days in the hall or do I need to pre-arrange? I'm coming with the max! (Sadly no status) 8 x 30" bags + 4 carry-ons (assuming they all arrive! 🤞
  2. Does anyone have recommendations for a cost-effective pick-up service that can fit all that luggage (+ us &#128541 and take us in town?
  3. Recommendation for insurance specifically for the checked bags? Need something much more comprehensive than standard stuff found on credit cards, and simple vacation/travel insurance. I can't seem to find anything or don't know where to look.
I don't need the bags right away, but I NEED those bags. Already paying a bomb for the sea shipment that follows in 3-4 months. Items in the checked bags are things we think we'll need right away.

If you have any other tips/suggestions, I would totally welcome them!

Can't wait to finally take my eldest boy to a Raps game!
jondawg6 is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 12:21 pm
  #232  
formerly dav662
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Posts: 3,575
Originally Posted by jondawg6 View Post
Flying SIN-ICN-YYZ next week (AC on the last leg), party of 4 w/ 2 little ones (<7yrs).

This is a 1-way ticket as I'm relocating home after living abroad for 15yrs.

We are schedule to land at 6:35pm but since my wife needs to complete her PR paperwork, it's going to be quite late before we step out of the Baggage Hall...so smoothness is paramount because of the kids & the long-haul!

This is where I need some expert help!

3 key questions (so far!):
  1. Are Baggage Porter Services readily available these days in the hall or do I need to pre-arrange? I'm coming with the max! (Sadly no status) 8 x 30" bags + 4 carry-ons (assuming they all arrive! 🤞
  2. Does anyone have recommendations for a cost-effective pick-up service that can fit all that luggage (+ us &#128541 and take us in town?
  3. Recommendation for insurance specifically for the checked bags? Need something much more comprehensive than standard stuff found on credit cards, and simple vacation/travel insurance. I can't seem to find anything or don't know where to look.
I don't need the bags right away, but I NEED those bags. Already paying a bomb for the sea shipment that follows in 3-4 months. Items in the checked bags are things we think we'll need right away.

If you have any other tips/suggestions, I would totally welcome them!

Can't wait to finally take my eldest boy to a Raps game!
I flew in mid July and there was porter service available. As for PR paperwork, I do not understand why it should take long. Does she already have her PR approved and the visa given? If so it is a simple process and should not take too long.
Davvidd is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 12:47 pm
  #233  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,701
Arrival PR paperwork should not take more than 15-20 minutes if you have received the visa. The PR card will be mailed to your registered address after the fact.
StuckInYYZ is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 7:03 pm
  #234  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: AC S100K
Posts: 977
Porters are available and always waiting.

You might just get a couple of taxis and split yourselves between them. If one minivan or SUV can’t carry everyone and everything, two should do it. Just head out to the taxi line and explain to the person directing passengers. The porters or drivers will load the bags for you.

I don’t have any insurance recommendations as I’ve never used it.
TheCanuckian is offline  
Old Aug 8, 22, 7:58 pm
  #235  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,701
Originally Posted by jondawg6 View Post
Flying SIN-ICN-YYZ next week (AC on the last leg), party of 4 w/ 2 little ones (<7yrs).

This is a 1-way ticket as I'm relocating home after living abroad for 15yrs.

We are schedule to land at 6:35pm but since my wife needs to complete her PR paperwork, it's going to be quite late before we step out of the Baggage Hall...so smoothness is paramount because of the kids & the long-haul!

This is where I need some expert help!

3 key questions (so far!):
  1. Are Baggage Porter Services readily available these days in the hall or do I need to pre-arrange? I'm coming with the max! (Sadly no status) 8 x 30" bags + 4 carry-ons (assuming they all arrive! 🤞
  2. Does anyone have recommendations for a cost-effective pick-up service that can fit all that luggage (+ us &#128541 and take us in town?
  3. Recommendation for insurance specifically for the checked bags? Need something much more comprehensive than standard stuff found on credit cards, and simple vacation/travel insurance. I can't seem to find anything or don't know where to look.
I don't need the bags right away, but I NEED those bags. Already paying a bomb for the sea shipment that follows in 3-4 months. Items in the checked bags are things we think we'll need right away.

If you have any other tips/suggestions, I would totally welcome them!

Can't wait to finally take my eldest boy to a Raps game!
Two things...

3) You might want to check out Amex and RBC for insurance options. Pretty sure they'll have something that covers your use case...

Second... Speaking of insurance, something you might not have thought about (maybe you have but didn't mention)... Health insurance. Technically you, your wife and child(ren) don't qualify for OHIP once you land. I think you have to be in country for at least six months to qualify for coverage. You might want to look that information up and look into getting "traveler's insurance" before you leave just in case.
StuckInYYZ is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 11:22 am
  #236  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,418
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ View Post
... Speaking of insurance, something you might not have thought about (maybe you have but didn't mention)... Health insurance. Technically you, your wife and child(ren) don't qualify for OHIP once you land. I think you have to be in country for at least six months to qualify for coverage. You might want to look that information up and look into getting "traveler's insurance" before you leave just in case.
90 days for returning non-resident citizens who are RECLAIMING their residency before one qualifies for ON health.
tentseller is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 2:03 pm
  #237  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,701
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
90 days for returning non-resident citizens who are RECLAIMING their residency before one qualifies for ON health.
Good to know. So that covers the OP, but then there's the rest of the family. Definitely something to consider.
StuckInYYZ is offline  
Old Aug 10, 22, 6:18 pm
  #238  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: miami, florida
Posts: 3,187
I know someone who went to Alberta and the health coverage was immediate. Then after 90 days she went to Ontario.
sydneyracquelle is offline  
Old Aug 12, 22, 7:08 am
  #239  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 120
Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
90 days for returning non-resident citizens who are RECLAIMING their residency before one qualifies for ON health.
There is no longer a waiting period for OHIP coverage. If you are eligible, you will have immediate health insurance coverage.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...et-health-card
YZF_Flyer is offline  
Old Aug 12, 22, 7:09 am
  #240  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 46
A couple quick questions on going through YYZ - (flight info: Prague-VIE-YYZ-IAH with the planes being Lufthansa, AC, AC)
1. I've been to YYZ once in the past (IAH-YYZ) and if I recall correctly, went through US customs in YYZ so didn't have to at IAH. Is that still possible coming from VIE or will I end up going through customs in IAH?
2. The layover in YYZ is just over 4 hours, is that enough time to have a quick (1 hour) bite to eat with some relatives in Toronto who will come to us very near the airport all things being on-time, and if so, any recommendations? Thank you!

Last edited by pilsn3r; Aug 12, 22 at 7:23 am Reason: forgot to add prague
pilsn3r is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread