Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YYZ International Arrivals

YYZ International Arrivals

Old Jul 2, 22, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim View Post
According to this, “[[color=#333333]t]ravellers who are transiting through Canada to another country (and aren't leaving the secure area at the airport) don't need to submit their information through ArriveCAN.”

Except Pearson makes that more or less impossible.
Old Jul 2, 22, 9:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by p106_peppy View Post
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ View Post
I'm attaching a screenshot of the link below...

This is a bold faced lie. I literally just connected from France at YYZ and had to collect then redrop my bags. Also they were enforcing the same baggage cutoff time times as new passengers just checking in, so people with tight connections were basically told "no" when they went to drop their bag after clearing customs. Like, ... is someone supposed to do with a giant suitcase when they're already in transit.

Seriously, fk Pearson so hard.
What airline were you flying on? OSS ITD is only applicable to Terminal 1. Terminal 3 (Air France, KLM, American Airlines, Delta Airlines etc) does not have this system in place.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jul 2, 22, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ View Post
What airline were you flying on? OSS ITD is only applicable to Terminal 1. Terminal 3 (Air France, KLM, American Airlines, Delta Airlines etc) does not have this system in place.

I was told when I checked in in Europe that my bags were going all the way. I was told again when we arrived in Canada by cabin crew that our bags were checked through and there was no need to recheck them.

The only reason we waited by the baggage carrosel to see if ours came out, was because we travel enough and hate Pearson enough to know that those were likely lies.
Old Jul 3, 22, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by p106_peppy View Post
This is a bold faced lie. I literally just connected from France at YYZ and had to collect then redrop my bags. Also they were enforcing the same baggage cutoff time times as new passengers just checking in, so people with tight connections were basically told "no" when they went to drop their bag after clearing customs. Like, ... is someone supposed to do with a giant suitcase when they're already in transit.

Seriously, fk Pearson so hard.
Terminal 1 (Air Canada) is different than Terminal 3 (Air France).
Old Jul 3, 22, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
Terminal 1 (Air Canada) is different than Terminal 3 (Air France).

​​​​​​Yes, which is why we knew we were being lied to when told (multiple times) that our baggage was checked all the way to the destination.

Also, baggage can theoretically connect between terminals if it has the correct tags. We pick up our bags at the connections carrosel, passed through customs, and then immediately put them on the baggage conveyor, all in terminal 3 despite our next flight being terminal 1. When our flight was subsequently cancelled and baggage offloaded, ours was with everyone else's in terminal 1.

​​​​​
Old Jul 3, 22, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Well this isn’t going to make things any better…

How bad are the backups in the customs halls at Pearson? So bad that the fire chief for Canada’s busiest airport has warned airlines that if they let passengers off before they’re told to, they will be in violation of the National Fire Code.

​​​​​…

Fire Chief Todd Aitken issued the directive on June 23, and it came into effect on July 1. A copy of the directive shared with the Toronto Sun blames the problems with clearing passengers through Pearson on federal government requirements.

As a result, all international flights arriving in Toronto must now hold passengers on the plane until they are given specific instructions that they can be released.
Source
Old Jul 4, 22, 7:55 am

Appreciate any advice: arriving from LAX overnight flight, connecting through Pearson on the way to Halifax (so I'm checking my clubs on the way Cabot). AC business class, no NEXUS. I've got 1:40 to get to the halifax flight.

AC site says I don't need to reclaim my clubs at pearson. Can I take them at their word, or should I (egads) not check my clubs and rent?

Reading through this forum, it sounds like I just need to clear customs at Pearson, then clear security, then get to my connecting gate?

Any thoughts on whether I'll make it in 1:40? Pearson sounds like an absolute dumpster fire these days but maybe my early morning arrival will mitigate...

Thank you for any advice!
Old Jul 4, 22, 6:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
And so it begins....

Landed 25 mins ago on BA99, still waiting for a gate. The captain hasn't been able to get any sort of update as to how long it will be.

Crew making repeated announcements to stay seated.
Old Jul 4, 22, 9:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by S_W_S View Post
And so it begins....

Landed 25 mins ago on BA99, still waiting for a gate. The captain hasn't been able to get any sort of update as to how long it will be.

In the end it was about 45 minutes. As soon as the jetty was connected we were all allowed off and into an empty immigration hall.

After reading this thread I was expecting chaos, but it was ok.
cager likes this.
Old Jul 4, 22, 11:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Any use Apple Airtags or Samsung SmartTags to track their luggage at Pearson? If so, were you able to actually track it amongst the chaos?
Old Jul 5, 22, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by S_W_S View Post
And so it begins....

I believe that's intentional due to the "potential fire hazard" of having an overcrowded room.

https://theairlinewebsite.com/topic/...ode-violation/
(Ignore the political slant of the article... all you need is in the first three paragraphs)

Originally Posted by cager View Post
Any use Apple Airtags or Samsung SmartTags to track their luggage at Pearson? If so, were you able to actually track it amongst the chaos?
While getting processed, it might not work so well due to the physical infrastructure (thick concrete walls and all the metal piping). Cell signal would likely be crap in the tunnels. That said, it might help if Apple or a sponsor would place a wired touchpoint somewhere along the way in each terminal to help with the tracking. Maybe in return for a sponsorship message somewhere visible (say a line or two at the bottom of the infoboard saying something like "airtag tracking sponsored by xyz corporation"). Would provide a service and a reminder to help process luggage faster (and then when the luggage is pulled off the carousel, the UWB sensors would help locate your luggage)
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:11 am

Programs: AC*E75 (*A Gold), Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cager View Post
I’ve got an AirTag in each suitcase and it’s a mixed bag, pardon the pun. You won’t really get any sort of “live” tracking, but based on the displayed location and time stamp, you’ll have a very good idea of whether the bag is still at the plane or somewhere in the terminal or approaching the baggage claim area, etc.

I haven’t checked a bag since the mayhem began, but I absolutely wouldn’t check a bag without an AirTag in it these days… have you seen pictures of the baggage claim areas at our airports? Being able to “find” your bag under a pile of bags seems like the best use case for AirTags. In fact, Apple should go film a commercial right now at YYZ
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:46 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Accor Diamond; GHA Black; SLH Indulged; IHG Plat Amb
I’ve got an AirTag in each suitcase and it’s a mixed bag, pardon the pun. You won’t really get any sort of “live” tracking, but based on the displayed location and time stamp, you’ll have a very good idea of whether the bag is still at the plane or somewhere in the terminal or approaching the baggage claim area, etc.
Similar experience for me. I was 90% sure one bag did not make my connection because it was showing as being near the terminal as our aircraft pushed back, unlike our other Airtags which were showing as being near our gate. Once landed at destination I got confirmation the one bag was still in YYZ so I could go to the delayed baggage office before other people realized their bag did not make it, so I avoided a queue which accumulated behind me later on.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K/Star Alliance Silver, Accor Silver, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton

I haven’t checked a bag since the mayhem began, but I absolutely wouldn’t check a bag without an AirTag in it these days… have you seen pictures of the baggage claim areas at our airports? Being able to “find” your bag under a pile of bags seems like the best use case for AirTags. In fact, Apple should go film a commercial right now at YYZ
Just ordered a 4-pack of AirTags. Namely, I’ll need them for checked bags (Pearson sh-crapshow) and my car (carjackings). The Toronto Duo
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC*E75 (*A Gold), Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyztozag View Post
Just ordered a 4-pack of AirTags. Namely, I’ll need them for checked bags (Pearson sh-crapshow) and my car (carjackings). The Toronto Duo
I know what you mean.

Pro tip for the car: put it in the trunk somewhere under something. Apple keeps making these things more difficult to use to track people, so they make sounds to alert anyone other than the owner that they’re nearby. You wouldn’t want to alert the carjacker…

Search this Thread