Recent/Current YYZ-USA Preclearance Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent/Current YYZ-USA Preclearance Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:18 pm

Smile Connecting Time YVR-YYZ-MCO

Hi Everyone, Does anyone have any recent experience transiting through Toronto from another domestic city on to the US (Orlando)?

I am on AC travelling on their red eye from YVR and connecting thru YYZ at 5:48am and leaving for MCO at 7:00am? So 1 ticket and bags will be checked all the way through to MCO from YVR. I am getting conflicting information as some say that since bags are checked through, that the 1hr 12min window is enough time since clearing customs for this kind of connection is different from the regular delays being experienced.

My only other option is request an earlier flight out of YVR but that would give us a 5 1/2 hour layover...

Any help or comments are appreciated. Thanks, Charles.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
MCT still showing as 1:10 on expert flyer. Do you have nexus for CBP since you have to do preclearance in YYZ? All my recent domestic AC flights have been delayed by 10-15 minutes on average so that cuts into your margin.

I've done the redeye from YVR to MCO via YYZ before covid and decided even then to take the longer layover. It gave me time to get on the UP and have a nice breakfast/brunch downtown without worry.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:39 pm

Some security lady today at YYC was just going beserk over the liquids limits. There were five women lined up waiting to get their bags cleared through secondary and every one the lady literally took out the bags that had the liquids and was putting them into an approved bag size. Every woman was pissed, they were forced to throw things away. No one had like 5 times as much as the limit, it was just over it. My wife was one of them, she lost like $10-15 of stuff that she was not happy about. This kind of meticulous checking had not happened anywhere else, ever. Only in YYC it seems, who knows maybe its a Canadian-wide thing, but in US airports, Mexican airports, Asian airports, no one made a deal out of it like this lady.

One can say well these are the rules and people should follow them, but I don't think people realize what happens when they do this. My wife just a couple days ago was talking about how we are due to go back to Montreal and Quebec City. We visit Canada about once a year. Now she's pissed and saying that's stupid, lets not come back here for awhile. It may seem a bit overboard, but I know she's not kidding. She won't be back for at least 3 or 4 years and Canada as a whole loses out on our tourism spending because of it. I wouldn't be surprised if the other ladies I saw are thinking the same thing.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by willy702
Some security lady today at YYC was just going beserk over the liquids limits. There were five women lined up waiting to get their bags cleared through secondary and every one the lady literally took out the bags that had the liquids and was putting them into an approved bag size. Every woman was pissed, they were forced to throw things away. No one had like 5 times as much as the limit, it was just over it. My wife was one of them, she lost like $10-15 of stuff that she was not happy about. This kind of meticulous checking had not happened anywhere else, ever. Only in YYC it seems, who knows maybe its a Canadian-wide thing, but in US airports, Mexican airports, Asian airports, no one made a deal out of it like this lady.

One can say well these are the rules and people should follow them, but I don't think people realize what happens when they do this. My wife just a couple days ago was talking about how we are due to go back to Montreal and Quebec City. We visit Canada about once a year. Now she's pissed and saying that's stupid, lets not come back here for awhile. It may seem a bit overboard, but I know she's not kidding. She won't be back for at least 3 or 4 years and Canada as a whole loses out on our tourism spending because of it. I wouldn't be surprised if the other ladies I saw are thinking the same thing.
The security guard probably liked the stuff and took it home herself.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:42 am

What time does US customs open in T3. I've seen 03:30 and 04:30???
Also, are current wait times published for US customs at T3??
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: AC SE 100K, Marriot Lifetime Platinum Elite
15 minutes total

I had a flight today at 9:25 to New Orleans out of T1. I was staying overnight at the airport Sheraton. I tweeted the Pearson account to ask about times for those of us who have a Nexus. They responded with the standard 3 hours. As I approached the US security I could see how that might be the case. But Nexus was a beaut. 15 minutes from security to US Customs to sitting in the lounge. I only wished I knew and trusted my Nexus enough to give me another hour of sleep. Nexus has never been so valuable.
TheCanuckian and gwickes like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Checked Bags Not Scanning Properly at T1

Yesterday and today, US customs clearance out of T1 was having trouble with the auto bag scanners (the ones that take the pictures that the customs agents look at). As a result, there were a couple of hundred people in the holding area at the F gates waiting for their bags to be processed before they could clear US customs and immigration. If you go to customs prior to bags clearing you are sent to the holding area. Long lines of people in there speaking to gate agents after missing their flight. Our UA flight that checked in “full” probably had about 30 empty seats when it left the gate. My bags were eventually processed but they never made it onto the plane. A real mess. Until this gets sorted out I suggest not checking bags if you can avoid it, or else go to the airport hours before you normally would.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Had a YYZ-ORD flight on UA out of T1 on July 1. Regular line for customs was quite long, but I went through the Global Entry line and it was quick and painless. Through in about 10 minutes. The guys staffing the CATSA checkpoint for GE were actually quite pleasant!

Sitting in the MLL I overheard a woman on the phone telling her friend that they were quoted 3-4 HOURS to make it through security, but they were pulling people out of the line with US passports and it took them "only" about 45 minutes.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:15 pm

At T3 is it the same security for domestic, international and US?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by CRC99
At T3 is it the same security for domestic, international and US?
No. US is always on its own as US customs is immediately after. Not sure about the other 2.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by paule123
Had a YYZ-ORD flight on UA out of T1 on July 1. Regular line for customs was quite long, but I went through the Global Entry line and it was quick and painless. Through in about 10 minutes. The guys staffing the CATSA checkpoint for GE were actually quite pleasant!

Sitting in the MLL I overheard a woman on the phone telling her friend that they were quoted 3-4 HOURS to make it through security, but they were pulling people out of the line with US passports and it took them "only" about 45 minutes.
Did you have to show your GE card to go through the GE kiosks? I did the last time i transited at YYZ T1.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Did you have to show your GE card to go through the GE kiosks? I did the last time i transited at YYZ T1.
Yes, I did have to show the GE card. I don't think that's right because GE card is for land crossings, right? I brought the card with me because I remember prior experience at YYZ and YUL where they wanted to see the card to access CATSA priority security line IIRC.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by paule123
Yes, I did have to show the GE card. I don't think that's right because GE card is for land crossings, right? I brought the card with me because I remember prior experience at YYZ and YUL where they wanted to see the card to access CATSA priority security line IIRC.
Youd need a GE card or Nexus card to access the trusted traveller security line anyway which can be a big savings too. It makes absolutely no sense not to have the card with you when departing Canada. Canada does not have ‘pre-check’ like the US where they verify your eligibility at check in - they allow all trusted travelers to use it, and it does not get ‘verified’ - you just bring the card to prove eligibility.

That said, officially, GE/Nexus card is not supposed to be required to access kiosks at the airport - it was meant for land crossings, and GE site, AFAIK, still lists the card for only land crossings (I’ll admit it’s been a while). And you can cross over at YYZ (T1 at least) from non-TT security to the GE kiosks. However, there are several reports of needing the card to access GE kiosks at multiple US airports too. So probably a best idea to have the card available should you need it. Personally, I always carry my Nexus card when leaving the US - regardless of them asking about it or not to enter the Ge Kiosks.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Upcoming trip Transit AC to AC transborder.

I have a trip coming up in ten days YYC -YYZ -MIA- GUA. My biggest concern is transit delay at US customs. I have Nexus but my wife doesn't so I will likely not use it. Connection was 2 hr 13 minutes but AC moved Miami flight up 50 minutes so now only 1 hr 23 min. I am SE, Million Miler and Black card so will ask for AC concierge assistance. Aeroplan says nothing else available so I will have to go with day of travel IROPs changes which should give more flexibility. Is this possible if we run from gate... Suggestions?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by folkart
I have a trip coming up in ten days YYC -YYZ -MIA- GUA. My biggest concern is transit delay at US customs. I have Nexus but my wife doesn't so I will likely not use it. Connection was 2 hr 13 minutes but AC moved Miami flight up 50 minutes so now only 1 hr 23 min. I am SE, Million Miler and Black card so will ask for AC concierge assistance. Aeroplan says nothing else available so I will have to go with day of travel IROPs changes which should give more flexibility. Is this possible if we run from gate... Suggestions?
Inexplicably, the YYZ transborder priority lanes (Nexus and status/COS) have been closed the last couple of times I’ve gone through. You can check the wait times on the CATSA app/website when you arrive at YYZ and decide whether going the originating passenger route (i.e. go land-side and line up for F gates security in the US check-in area) is a better idea. I’ve never tried myself, but you should be able to use the Nexus security line with your wife. She won’t be able to use the Global Entry kiosks and would have to go through the regular CBP process, but the transborder Nexus security line was an absolute lifesaver last week, it’s worth considering.
folkart likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.