Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recent/Current YYZ-USA Preclearance Experiences

Recent/Current YYZ-USA Preclearance Experiences

Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Diamond
I flew YYZ-CMH back in November. One thing to keep in mind is that for flights from YYZ to the US, the hard cutoff time for check-in and bag dropoff is 90 minutes before departure.

I don't remember having any particular issue making it through security and customs. I do have Nexus. For reference, I just barely squeaked by over the 90 minute cutoff at check-in, and by the time I made it to the gate they were about ready to board.

If you want to be free and clear and relaxed, I would show up 2.5 to 3 hours prior to departure.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:17 am

Thanks for the tips re: my previous q.

Last one: does the cibc card that also provides lounge access etc. also get you in the priority security line at yyz t1? I used to have the amex that did. Haven't flown out of yyz in years.

Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by Robyyz
Hi all,

Been more than a decade since I've flown to the US from Pearson. The AC site talks about arriving 2-3 hours ahead. I have access to priority check-in but no nexus. When do you think I can arrive on a weekday (Thurs or Fri) morning and safely make an 8am flight?

Thanks!
I’d say 2 hrs at that time to be safe
with priority security AND nexus it’s usually quick but at 6:00-6:30 it can be busy
A week ago for. 12:30 flight I arrived at 10:30 and the whole process took under 15 mins with zero lines. But the general CBP line was quite busy…and you don’t have priorty customs such as Nexus and that was where the lines where especially at 6 am.
I don’t know what the other busy times to the USA are I imagine after 5:00pm or Fridays but I’m guessing
im flying again tomorrow on a 17:30 flight and will give myself a good 2 hrs again. No checked bags and J class with nexus but I don’t like the stress of rushing
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:22 am

Programs: AC SE
I am wondering if there are some up-to-date early-morning transborder experiences at T1 of YYZ. I'll be flying out at 9 AM later this week. I have Nexus and no bags to check, so am assuming a couple of hours will be tons of time. But I'd still appreciate hearing some of your recent experiences.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:13 am
SCS

BOS - Toronto - BOS — is YYZ or YTZ easiest?

I'd appreciate some advice as I have little familiarity with any of these airports. I have to book Boston-Toronto-Boston in May, arriving Toronto early afternoon Sunday and departing mid-afternoon Friday. I'm deciding between AA (YYZ T3) or Porter (YTZ). Any thoughts on which is likely to be the less stressful experience? I at first was thinking pre-clearance at YYZ would be better than having to go through customs at BOS, but based on this thread I'm not so sure. US citizen traveling in Y, no GE, no Nexus.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by SCS
I'd appreciate some advice as I have little familiarity with any of these airports. I have to book Boston-Toronto-Boston in May, arriving Toronto early afternoon Sunday and departing mid-afternoon Friday. I'm deciding between AA (YYZ T3) or Porter (YTZ). Any thoughts on which is likely to be the less stressful experience? I at first was thinking pre-clearance at YYZ would be better than having to go through customs at BOS, but based on this thread I'm not so sure. US citizen traveling in Y, no GE, no Nexus.
I did a YYZ preclearance to USA in T3 on Westjet yesterday morning at 8am for a 1030 flight. Customs was empty. They had 3 flights at the same time LAS, MCO and FLL. I take Westjet to save the stress of AC and T1. For YYZ rental cars T3 is still closed so you have to take a very short train to T1. I do not like clearing Customs in USA at BOS as you could potentially be in a very long line with an incoming international flight.
SCS likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I did a YYZ preclearance to USA in T3 on Westjet yesterday morning at 8am for a 1030 flight. Customs was empty. They had 3 flights at the same time LAS, MCO and FLL. I take Westjet to save the stress of AC and T1. For YYZ rental cars T3 is still closed so you have to take a very short train to T1. I do not like clearing Customs in USA at BOS as you could potentially be in a very long line with an incoming international flight.
Preclearance at YTZ is expected to open in 2023 - once that happens, expect (hopefully) Porter to remove a good portion of the morning Air Canada traffic to the NE business markets and Chicago. Hopefully they build a big enough facility to handle the load.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:04 pm

I avoid AC and T1 transborder/international as often the flights into Canada require waiting 1-2 hours on the aircraft due to a full Customs hall. This has not happened to me with Westjet/Delta/AA.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I avoid AC and T1 transborder/international as often the flights into Canada require waiting 1-2 hours on the aircraft due to a full Customs hall. This has not happened to me with Westjet/Delta/AA.
Is this still common?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:43 am

Arriving at 7:15 AM and using the Nexus line, it was about 15 minutes from curb to lounge today.

I haven’t used Nexus in a couple of years and was a bit surprised to see agents engaging with each passenger for a moment or two (Where are you going? Why? How long?) rather than essentially just waving them through as they used to do. Is this common now?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Arriving at 7:15 AM and using the Nexus line, it was about 15 minutes from curb to lounge today.

I haven’t used Nexus in a couple of years and was a bit surprised to see agents engaging with each passenger for a moment or two (Where are you going? Why? How long?) rather than essentially just waving them through as they used to do. Is this common now?
T1 or T3?? I used Nexus in T3 the other day around 8am. No line for Nexus or non-nexus. Now you just look into the camera in the GE/Nexus machine and it knows exactly who you are. Where are you going? Have a good trip.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA - 3.5+ million miles - Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by SCS
Just a recent update on YYZ customs delays. At least on two recent days (Friday and Sunday) AA #1111 landing at 430pm had over 1 hour delay deplaning passengers since Canada customs overwhelmed with traffic. Regular kiosks and booths about a further hour of processing (Nexus no wait). Sounds like morning may be easier, but if traveling in afternoon/evening I would plan on delays of 1+ hours due to customs.
SCS likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA - 3.5+ million miles - Platinum for life.
Experience with US Customs pre-clearance time on direct Toronto to Dallas (YYZ-DFW) on American at Pearson T3 late afternoon (530pm departure)
Quick Summary:
Less than 10 minutes with Nexus; over 1 to 1.5 hrs for regular due to US customs.

Detail: Flew on 4/10/22 on AA #1111 direct flight YYZ to DFW. Security was relatively light and moving well. About 30-40 passengers in regular security, 3 in Nexus. TSA agent said was really busy earlier in day and much lighter at this moment. So at least anyone going through security would be 5 mins (Nexus) or 15-20 mins (regular). That was easy part.

Once through security, the US customs hall was completely full for non-Nexus/GE passengers. I estimate 100-150+ in line. US customs just had 2 agents processing clearance. Feedback from travelers who got through indicated it was well over an hour to hour and a half to get through (and this just for the US customs pre-clearance).

I have Nexus (it expired in Feb, but I can use for another 2 years since renewal process delayed). God send to have Nexus. After check in with American, quickly through security via Nexus lane. Used Global Entry (GE) kiosk - no more fingerprint scans!!! - just facial recognition scan, got print out and then up to front. By-passed the huge crowd in the regular customs line and quickly through customs agent. Total 15 minutes from getting boarding pass to getting to gate. For those without, likely took 2 hours min to get through security and US customs
SCS and PetrozzaFam like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 3:00 pm

clarity: is there separate NEXUS security screening in US-bound T3?

Originally Posted by gwickes
Experience with US Customs pre-clearance time on direct Toronto to Dallas (YYZ-DFW) on American at Pearson T3 late afternoon (530pm departure)
Quick Summary:
Less than 10 minutes with Nexus; over 1 to 1.5 hrs for regular due to US customs.

Detail: Flew on 4/10/22 on AA #1111 direct flight YYZ to DFW. Security was relatively light and moving well. About 30-40 passengers in regular security, 3 in Nexus. TSA agent said was really busy earlier in day and much lighter at this moment. So at least anyone going through security would be 5 mins (Nexus) or 15-20 mins (regular). That was easy part.

Once through security, the US customs hall was completely full for non-Nexus/GE passengers. I estimate 100-150+ in line. US customs just had 2 agents processing clearance. Feedback from travelers who got through indicated it was well over an hour to hour and a half to get through (and this just for the US customs pre-clearance).

I have Nexus (it expired in Feb, but I can use for another 2 years since renewal process delayed). God send to have Nexus. After check in with American, quickly through security via Nexus lane. Used Global Entry (GE) kiosk - no more fingerprint scans!!! - just facial recognition scan, got print out and then up to front. By-passed the huge crowd in the regular customs line and quickly through customs agent. Total 15 minutes from getting boarding pass to getting to gate. For those without, likely took 2 hours min to get through security and US customs
My experience in March was that T3 has no separate security line for NEXUS Trusted Travelers. Can you confirm that before you approached the US Pre-clearance room, you enjoyed/saw a separate security channel for NEXUS cardholders in Terminal 3 at Toronto Pearson in April 2022?
Old May 6, 2022, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyzAAguy
My experience in March was that T3 has no separate security line for NEXUS Trusted Travelers. Can you confirm that before you approached the US Pre-clearance room, you enjoyed/saw a separate security channel for NEXUS cardholders in Terminal 3 at Toronto Pearson in April 2022?
I was there last Feb, and absolutely no Nexus priority for security, and was told as much when I asked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.