Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Christmas travel (Canada Specific question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

I'm in the verge of booking an international flight for christmas. Me being a cheap ......., i want to book a non fundable ticket. I hoping this hotel quarantine requirements will be gone by then. Is it too risky? Has any of the Canadian travelers on here booked any christmas trips yet?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no person on the face of the Earth who can answer your risk question.

You do not provide information as to your origin location, your nationality, or routing, but the bottom line is that whether you will be permitted to enter at all and whether there will be any barriers, e.g. vaccination, testing, hotel quarantine, will not be clear until approximately November. And even then there is risk.

Without knowing the specifics of your travel, the general -- stress general -- rule is that if you cancel, you will not receive a refund. You may receive a credit for future use or not. If the air carrier cancels, you would then receive a refund.

If you are looking at Christmas travel, I would turn to making reservations in mid November and not before.
ajGoes, SFO777 and Absolute like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:42 pm

Non refundable, 9 months in the future, not a chance.
SFO777 and Finkface like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
There is no person on the face of the Earth who can answer your risk question.

You do not provide information as to your origin location, your nationality, or routing, but the bottom line is that whether you will be permitted to enter at all and whether there will be any barriers, e.g. vaccination, testing, hotel quarantine, will not be clear until approximately November. And even then there is risk.

Without knowing the specifics of your travel, the general -- stress general -- rule is that if you cancel, you will not receive a refund. You may receive a credit for future use or not. If the air carrier cancels, you would then receive a refund.

If you are looking at Christmas travel, I would turn to making reservations in mid November and not before.
I'm a Canadian citizen. Leaving from Toronto. Buying the ticket in November will cost more.

i bought a non-refundable ticket with Emirates before and they gave me credit. I'm thinking if the destination country put in restrictions air canada will likely cancel the flight. in which case i will get credit which is fine by me.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Soopergal
I'm a Canadian citizen. Leaving from Toronto. Buying the ticket in November will cost more.

i bought a non-refundable ticket with Emirates before and they gave me credit. I'm thinking if the destination country put in restrictions air canada will likely cancel the flight. in which case i will get credit which is fine by me.
If you are OK making interest-free loans, that is fine.

Most would prefer to wait and are learning that the urban myth that tickets will be more expensive, is indeed an urban myth during the pandemic.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

But the question is will you get full credit? with no restrictions from Air Canada?

BTW
​​​​​​​I have not planned my Easter travels
Old Mar 20, 2021, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I would be comfortable booking a ticket with an airline that will refund in case of a schedule change (ie.not AC) only.

or on points,since everything is refundable.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
But the question is will you get full credit? with no restrictions from Air Canada?

BTW
I have not planned my Easter travels
I'm looking took a standard ticket. Air Canada agent said i can get a voucher if decide not to travel.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 8:51 am

As an overly cautious friend of mine often say, "I don't even buy green bananas."
Old Mar 22, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I'm looking took a standard ticket. Air Canada agent said i can get a voucher if decide not to travel.
If you book before April first you will be able to get a credit if you cancel. Be advised that some people have waited more than 6 months for Air Canada to actually issue them with the credit.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dr_torch
If you book before April first you will be able to get a credit if you cancel. Be advised that some people have waited more than 6 months for Air Canada to actually issue them with the credit.
Thanks, good to know. Why April 1st not after? Do you know?
Old Mar 22, 2021, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks, a reminder seems necessary that this is the Canada forum, not the Air Canada forum so please continue your research and/or ask any airline-related questions in the Air Canada forum.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.