Leaving Canada before 14-day quarantine is over

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:31 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Leaving Canada before 14-day quarantine is over

Hi everyone,
Is it possible for a Canadian citizen living in the US to go to Canada for a day (assuming land entry)? During that day, the traveler would quarantine in a hotel. The following day, the traveler would return back to the US. I was unable to read anywhere if travelers are prevented from leaving Canada during the 14-day period. The earlier quarantine orders had some language that the quarantine period was 14 days or the duration of the stay in Canada, whichever is shorter. The most recent order no longer mentions "or the duration of the stay in Canada, whichever is shorter."
Old Mar 6, 2021, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by txp
Hi everyone,
Is it possible for a Canadian citizen living in the US to go to Canada for a day (assuming land entry)? During that day, the traveler would quarantine in a hotel. The following day, the traveler would return back to the US. I was unable to read anywhere if travelers are prevented from leaving Canada during the 14-day period. The earlier quarantine orders had some language that the quarantine period was 14 days or the duration of the stay in Canada, whichever is shorter. The most recent order no longer mentions "or the duration of the stay in Canada, whichever is shorter."
I do this all the time. Some people who have no Cdn status who are in a relationship with a Cdn must stay at least 15 days. Not you. I have done many day trips and overnights. Never ever a problem. You have to quarantine while you are in Canada but are free to leave at any time by plane or land. You will still get calls and emails until day 14 but I ignore them. If you tell the person calling you already left Canada they will take you off the list. I was out for dinner with my family last time they called. I said I was back in USA. See OIC Exception-Leaving Canada section.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 4:39 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I do this all the time. Some people who have no Cdn status who are in a relationship with a Cdn must stay at least 15 days. Not you. I have done many day trips and overnights. Never ever a problem. You have to quarantine while you are in Canada but are free to leave at any time by plane or land. You will still get calls and emails until day 14 but I ignore them. If you tell the person calling you already left Canada they will take you off the list. I was out for dinner with my family last time they called. I said I was back in USA. See OIC Exception-Leaving Canada section.
Thank you, this is very helpful. The key, of course, is to enter by land...

For the benefit of everyone else, here is the relevant text from the OIC:

You may choose to leave Canada before the end of the 14-day quarantine period. However, you must:

- continue to quarantine yourself until your departure date
- wear a non-medical mask when you depart Canada
- comply with all regulations for the country of destination

You must use a private vehicle to depart Canada. You will not be allowed to board a flight if you are currently under a quarantine order.

If you are in a federal quarantine facility, you must get authorization from a quarantine officer to leave.

Give notice that you have left Canada

Travellers will need to update their quarantine information, or else you will continue to receive compliance calls and check-ins.

You can do so by sending an email to: [email protected]. You must provide your:

full name
date of birth
date of entry
Old Mar 6, 2021, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by txp
Thank you, this is very helpful. The key, of course, is to enter by land...

For the benefit of everyone else, here is the relevant text from the OIC:

You may choose to leave Canada before the end of the 14-day quarantine period. However, you must:

- continue to quarantine yourself until your departure date
- wear a non-medical mask when you depart Canada
- comply with all regulations for the country of destination

You must use a private vehicle to depart Canada. You will not be allowed to board a flight if you are currently under a quarantine order.

If you are in a federal quarantine facility, you must get authorization from a quarantine officer to leave.

Give notice that you have left Canada

Travellers will need to update their quarantine information, or else you will continue to receive compliance calls and check-ins.

You can do so by sending an email to: [email protected]. You must provide your:

full name
date of birth
date of entry
I have left Canada by plane many times while in quarantine after a 1-2 day visit. No one asks. No one knows. No one cares. US Customs doesn’t care. Security doesn’t care. The airline gate agents don’t care. One can easily buy a plane ticket on any US airline USA-Canada-USA for less than 14 days or just buy 2 one ways. Canada is concerned with protecting Canadians from covid. Once you leave Canada no one cares.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Mar 6, 2021 at 4:57 pm
Old Mar 6, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I have left Canada by plane many times while in quarantine after a 1-2 day visit. No one asks. No one knows. No one cares. US Customs doesn’t care. Security doesn’t care. The airline gate agents don’t care. One can easily buy a plane ticket on any US airline USA-Canada-USA for less than 14 days or just buy 2 one ways. Canada is concerned with protecting Canadians from covid. Once you leave Canada no one cares.
Yes, but I think the aim of the OP is to avoid the hotel quarantine. He would have to book a quarantine hotel for 3 nights if he flew in at extortionate prices.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 6:28 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Yes, but I think the aim of the OP is to avoid the hotel quarantine. He would have to book a quarantine hotel for 3 nights if he flew in at extortionate prices.
Correct. One could envision having a base say, in upstate NY close to the border, an hour drive from Montreal. The person then could enter and leave each day by car, each time quarantining in a different location. This would be, I believe, strictly in compliance with the letter of the OIC, though perhaps not with its spirit...
Old Mar 6, 2021, 6:44 pm

Drive into Canada to avoid hotel jail. Exit by air or land. Up to you. The rule that you must exit Canada by land is false.
LETTERBOY and jackmaninov like this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by txp
Correct. One could envision having a base say, in upstate NY close to the border, an hour drive from Montreal. The person then could enter and leave each day by car, each time quarantining in a different location. This would be, I believe, strictly in compliance with the letter of the OIC, though perhaps not with its spirit...
Absolutely nothing wrong with this as long as you have a 72-hour covid test each time to enter Canada. One may exit Canada by air or land. I have done both many times after just a few days in Canada.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
And the same test should suffice to enter the US on your departure.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
And the same test should suffice to enter the US on your departure.
Only if it was taken within 3 days/72 hours of US flight departure. Zero covid test required to enter USA by land.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Mar 8, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Drive into Canada to avoid hotel jail. Exit by air or land. Up to you. The rule that you must exit Canada by land is false.
I know that. I was responding to your quote above about buying a ticket on any airline USA-Canada-USA for less than 14 days. The OP is only staying one day so flying in entails a three night hotel jail booking at ridiculous prices. That is why he is crossing by land. No one ever said there was a rule that one needs to drive back.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Only if it was taken within 72 hours of US flight departure. Zero covid test required to enter USA by land.
For clarification, entry to the USA via air requires a negative COVID-19 test, either PCR or Antigen that was taken within 3 calendars days, not 72 hours of departure.

A negative COVID-19 test taken at 8:00 am on day 0 is valid for departures up until midnight on day 3, not 8:00 am on day 3.

James
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Only if it was taken within 3 days/72 hours of US flight departure. Zero covid test required to enter USA by land.
Just to be clear, the US requirements is 3 calendar days. The term "72 hours" does not appear anywhere in the CDC Order, yet gets bandied about on FT. The two terms are vastly different and, depending on the timing of your travel, the calendar day calculation is a lot more flexible,

It goes without saying that the US entry test must comply with US law.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
A negative COVID-19 test taken at 8:00 am on day 0 is valid for departures up until midnight on day 3, not 8:00 am on day 3.
James
So if I take the test 8am on Monday, do I have until end of day on Wednesday or end of day on Thursday?
I suspect its Thursday?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
So if I take the test 8am on Monday, do I have until end of day on Wednesday or end of day on Thursday?
I suspect its Thursday?
Three calendar days:

Tuesday = Day One
Wednesday = Day Two
Thursday at 23:59 = end of Day Three (Time of day on Tuesday could be as early as 00:01 or as late as 23:59).

This is why the US entry rule can work to a passenger's substantial advantage.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.