Leaving Canada before 14-day quarantine is over

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving Canada before 14-day quarantine is over

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by txp
Thank you, this is very helpful. The key, of course, is to enter by land...

For the benefit of everyone else, here is the relevant text from the OIC:

You must use a private vehicle to depart Canada. You will not be allowed to board a flight if you are currently under a quarantine order.
I'm researching for my husband since his mother passed away and he needs to go up for the service and come back for 14 days.

The part quoted above from the OIC that says "you must use a private vehicle to depart Canada" is for Symptomatic Persons. The section above for Asymptomatic Persons makes no reference to mode of travel. I didn't see this elsewhere in this thread, so I wanted to point it out. The document isn't formatted as clearly as it could be, so it is easy to miss that it is 2 sections, Asymptomatic and Symptomatic.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by wcj1
I'm researching for my husband since his mother passed away and he needs to go up for the service and come back for 14 days.

The part quoted above from the OIC that says "you must use a private vehicle to depart Canada" is for Symptomatic Persons. The section above for Asymptomatic Persons makes no reference to mode of travel. I didn't see this elsewhere in this thread, so I wanted to point it out. The document isn't formatted as clearly as it could be, so it is easy to miss that it is 2 sections, Asymptomatic and Symptomatic.
I have come and gone many times since last March after a few days in Canada. No one cares if I fly out of Canada. But they do take your temperature at security in Canada unlike TSA in USA.
Old May 13, 2021, 2:47 pm

Has anything changed here? The guidance from gov't appears clear:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/isolation

You may choose to leave Canada before the end of the 14-day quarantine period. However, you must:
  • continue to quarantine yourself until your departure date
  • wear a mask when you depart Canada
  • comply with all regulations for the country of destination
You must use a private vehicle to depart Canada. You will not be allowed to board a flight if you are currently under a quarantine order.

If you are in a federal designated quarantine facility, you must get authorization from a quarantine officer to leave.
That's quarantine (no symptoms) and not isolation (with symptoms) anyway. Are people just breaking rules / hoping not enforced?

Last edited by mabramovich; May 13, 2021 at 3:05 pm
Old May 13, 2021, 3:11 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by mabramovich
Has anything changed here? The guidance from gov't appears clear:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/isolation

That's quarantine (no symptoms) and not isolation (with symptoms) anyway. Are people just breaking rules / hoping not enforced?
That's been the language for months now since 2020, similar to AC's check-in reminder/disclaimer, it's a classic issue of government bodies not talking to each other.

I would think the actual text in order holds more ground when scrutinized compared to a website summary notice that can change any time.
Old May 13, 2021, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jix
That's been the language for months now since 2020, similar to AC's check-in reminder/disclaimer, it's a classic issue of government bodies not talking to each other.

I would think the actual text in order holds more ground when scrutinized compared to a website summary notice that can change any time.
Either the person who wrote what's on the website didn't bother to read the full rules, or they're purposely putting in the more restrictive measures and hoping nobody notices/reads the rules.

Speaking of the airline disclaimers at check-in that you must not be subject to a government quarantine order, what happens with people who have connecting domestic flights after their hotel quarantine? Do they need to lie and say they're not subject to a quarantine order in order to board?
jackmaninov likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.