Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Driving Across the Border from U.S. to Canada: Options & Experiences

Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:48 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Land border crossing — planning a crossing shortly. Nexus-only bridge Niagara area. Do I have to use Nexus as the ID on my ArriveCan submission or will passport suffice?
I used my CDN passport both times (arrived by air) and all is (was) well. You will be fine.

Sadly, stuck in (hot) Texas currently due to unforeseen circumstances
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Land border crossing — planning a crossing shortly. Nexus-only bridge Niagara area. Do I have to use Nexus as the ID on my ArriveCan submission or will passport suffice?
Any reason you wouldn’t want to use NEXUS in ArriveCAN if you are taking Whirlpool bridge to begin with?
OSSYULYYZ likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
I have used the Nexus lane even though I entered my passport info for ArriveCan. I sailed through, so assume they are linked internally somewhere.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by seawolf
Any reason you wouldn’t want to use NEXUS in ArriveCAN if you are taking Whirlpool bridge to begin with?
No particular reason just want to make sure bases are covered. Sometimes it’s easier to use passport as less chance of dropping due to size. Since the toll $ will be on Nexus, it will be out. Thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I have used the Nexus lane even though I entered my passport info for ArriveCan. I sailed through, so assume they are linked internally somewhere.
I’ve done that with an air arrival and my experience mirrors yours. I’ve only done one other land crossing during Covid/ArriveCan and it was more than a year ago. Can’t remember how I filled things out. Thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FWIW, I've never been asked to show my ArriveCan info at the border when crossing into Canada (by air or land). The information is tied to your passport so the agent can see that you have completed the ArriveCan prcess without asking for the QR code.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:55 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
FWIW, I've never been asked to show my ArriveCan info at the border when crossing into Canada (by air or land). The information is tied to your passport so the agent can see that you have completed the ArriveCan prcess without asking for the QR code.
I like to think ArriveCAN is tied to travel document used during submission but based on post above seems like NEXUS card and associated passport are also linked as well or perhaps it is just name/DOB match regardless of travel document. But in any case like others have indicated, CBSA never actually ask for the code.

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 5, 2022 at 11:00 am
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
In contrast, by air to YUL airport, there has ALWAYS been an arriveCan check just before you are allowed to go down the escalators and into the arrivals chasm of customs clearance pit, broken down from regular versus the NEXUS exit with a right turn.

Even as recently as last week.
OSSYULYYZ likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:32 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by abc5
In contrast, by air to YUL airport, there has ALWAYS been an arriveCan check just before you are allowed to go down the escalators and into the arrivals chasm of customs clearance pit, broken down from regular versus the NEXUS exit with a right turn.

Even as recently as last week.
FWIW that is not CBSA. It’s done by the airport version of a mall cop.
flyme2 and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Hi Guys,

Just got back from Canada. Lovely 6 days in Ottawa and Toronto. We've crossed border at the Rainbow bridge both times (July 4th and 10th). Going in 5 cars ahead with 2 booths open. Going out 10 cars ahead with 6-8 booths open. When crossing into Canada, I gave officer our passports and asked if he needs our QR code for ArriveCan. He said; Nope, I can see it right here (talking to his monitor).
No masks were required anywhere (including the tour of the Canadian Parliament).
The only down side was that Rogers did the entire country, and we didn't have TV for the last 3 days and couldn't get cash out of ATMs
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Fully vaccinated and using ArriveCan. We will be doing an overnight in Thunder Bay coming up from Duluth MN. If selected for random testing how will that work since we will be returning to the US the next day?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: JL, DL, NH
Fully vaccinated and using ArriveCan (US citizen). Arrive YVR from Japan but immediately going to the USA by car. So I'll only be in Canada for a few hours from landing to when I cross the border into the US. Similar to above post, how does the random testing work if you are in Canada for less than 24 hours?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by gnggng
Fully vaccinated and using ArriveCan. We will be doing an overnight in Thunder Bay coming up from Duluth MN. If selected for random testing how will that work since we will be returning to the US the next day?
Originally Posted by usexpat
Fully vaccinated and using ArriveCan (US citizen). Arrive YVR from Japan but immediately going to the USA by car. So I'll only be in Canada for a few hours from landing to when I cross the border into the US. Similar to above post, how does the random testing work if you are in Canada for less than 24 hours?
Discussion here.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Thanks, I have read the link mentioned here, but am still not clear what happens if you are only planning to spend one night in Canada before heading back to the US.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:02 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by gnggng
Thanks, I have read the link mentioned here, but am still not clear what happens if you are only planning to spend one night in Canada before heading back to the US.
If you are selected to test at PoE; don’t think you have a choice.

If given a test kit, you have 24 hours to do test virtual monitored and submit the sample for courier to pickup. Speculating if you don’t comply you may calls from health department and/or have some explaining to do next attempt at entering Canada.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.