Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Connecting US to Intl thru YYZ

Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE

When connecting from a transborder flight USA-YYZ to an international flight e.g. YYZ-HND or LHR (to Japan) do I have to go through security at YYZ? If so, is there a Lite option with my Global Entry card?
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No, you do not have to go through security.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: air miles
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
When connecting from a transborder flight USA-YYZ to an international flight e.g. YYZ-HND or LHR (to Japan) do I have to go through security at YYZ? If so, is there a Lite option with my Global Entry card?
Depends on what airline you are arriving/departing on. Also the current Covid situation may have changed some procedures.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Depends on what airline you are arriving/departing on. Also the current Covid situation may have changed some procedures.
As far as I know YYZ has tried to streamline connections like this. If you are not Canadian then you can ONLY make connections within the same terminal as you never leave the secure area.

If you carry a Canadian passport then technically you could fly into Terminal 1 and connect out of Terminal 3 but you would have to go through all the COVID screening stuff first. I assume you would also have to have a negative COVID test also if you went this route.

My assumption since this is the Air Canada forum is that there is an Air Canada and possible *A flights involved. All of these will be out of T1.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 12:54 pm

Only Air Canada/United has this at T1. DL/AA/WestJet in T3 does not have this so you must enter Canada.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What carrier(s) are you flying?

Regardless of channel, are you admissible to Canada?
Old Feb 12, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Are overnight connections in YYZ allowed now? I am able to book MCI YYZ on UA , arrive at 8:30pm, then pick up YYZ ADD on ET the next morning. I don't have a problem paying for a hotel overnight in Toronto but would I be able to do this? It would be in May. Trying to get to WDH in Namibia with UA award for a safari.
mhodge likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
Are overnight connections in YYZ allowed now? I am able to book MCI YYZ on UA , arrive at 8:30pm, then pick up YYZ ADD on ET the next morning. I don't have a problem paying for a hotel overnight in Toronto but would I be able to do this? It would be in May. Trying to get to WDH in Namibia with UA award for a safari.
Only if you have status in Canada.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I am the OP. I’d be connecting AC to AC. Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Only if you have status in Canada.
I have no status or connection to Canada, merely passing through. Would I be able to stay in the airport overnight? Why would UA show this as a bookable ticket if it cannot be accomplished?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:53 am

I have no status or connection to Canada, merely passing through. Would I be able to stay in the airport overnight? Why would UA show this as a bookable ticket if it cannot be accomplished?
You can connect on star alliance at YYZ without formally entering Canada. Definitely no overnight hotel.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
You can connect on star alliance at YYZ without formally entering Canada. Definitely no overnight hotel.
Here are the details of the proposed routing:
  • Kansas City, MO, US (MCI) to Toronto, ON, CA (YYZ)
    4:40 pm - 8:00 pm (2h 20m)
    AC 7938 | Canadair Regional Jet
    Operated By Air Canada Express - Ja
    • Overnight connection
      • Arrive YYZ; Wed, May 5
      • Depart YYZ; Thu, May
15h connection
Toronto, ON, CA (YYZ) to Addis Ababa, ET (ADD)
11:00 am - 7:00 am (13h)
ET 553 | Airbus A350-900
Operated By Ethiopian Airlines
  •  
    • Depart YYZ: Thu, May 6
    • Arrive ADD: Fri, May
  • 1h 35m connection
Addis Ababa, ET (ADD) to Windhoek, NA (WDH)
8:35 am - 12:20 pm (4h 45m)
ET 835 | Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner
Operated By Ethiopian Airlines

So I could just find someplace in the airport to stretch out and sleep 15 hours? Is the AC lounge open overnight? WE would be in business and will have lounge access.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
So I could just find someplace in the airport to stretch out and sleep 15 hours?
Yes, airside.
Is the AC lounge open overnight? WE would be in business and will have lounge access.
The only AC lounge currently open is in he domestic section of T1, to which you will not be able to get without entering Canada.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by airoli
Yes, airside.The only AC lounge currently open is in he domestic section of T1, to which you will not be able to get without entering Canada.
I think I will stick with my current tickets that have us on an overnight connection in Washington IAD instead of Toronto. Thanks for the help and info.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I think I will stick with my current tickets that have us on an overnight connection in Washington IAD instead of Toronto. Thanks for the help and info.
I think this would be a more comfortable option. Right now if you make a connection in YYZ and you do not hold a Canadian passport you cannot leave the secure area and there are not many restaurants open in the international departures area.

So - yes, you can sleep in the airport at YYZ but you need to be self sufficient and bring food, etc. A hotel by IAD would be WAY better in my opinion. Be aware that if you were thinking of entering the DC area you are required to have a negative COVID test if coming from out of state (at least it was like that in December). However, if you remain in Virginia (where IAD is located) then there are no requirements for one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.