Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Finkface
I got a call yesterday from the assistant to the Liberal MP for my riding where my house is in Greater Vancouver. He said he was checking in with constituents to see how they were doing and if there was anything he wanted me to bring to the MP’s attention. We spoke for about half an hour, mostly about the hotel quarantine issue and from what he said, it seems fairly certain that they do plan to drop the mandatory hotel portion for vaxxed travellers for the next OIC. I hope he is correct.
That's what I heard too a few weeks ago.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Alberta is certainly against the quarantine situation: https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...vid-19-testing
Only time will tell what will actually happen... but I'm hearing from all sides that hotel quarantine will be dropped for fully vaxxed ASAP.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 5:05 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Alberta is certainly against the quarantine situation: https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...vid-19-testing
Only time will tell what will actually happen... but I'm hearing from all sides that hotel quarantine will be dropped for fully vaxxed ASAP.
Alberta is clearly against the hotel quarantine and even against the 14 days...
Quebec and Ontario governments on the other side don"t want any relaxing (Ontario even asks for land borders hotel quarantine)
And the federal government is calculating which option is going to maximize their political return.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks, we are again broadening the discussion well beyond the thread topic of the existing arrival airport hotel quarantine program so let's please carry on the wider border and political debate elsewhere.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
That's why they will ease restrictions for Canadian citizens and eligible visitors first and work their way toward an opening of the border to foreigners subsequently. They backed themselves into a corner with their narrative and they need to change it slowly so people don't freak out. That's why the PM and ministers keep dropping tidbits like this.
The hotel quarantine thing was a result of cabinet ministers and other politicians travelling during Christmas....it was classic misdirection. So the government, rather than going after segments of the population which are chronic abusers of the Covid rules, decided to pick on international travellers. Now international travellers are considered lower than slugs within Canada.
Changing Canadians perception of international travellers is goin to take some time. Of course theres been other government Covid flip flops....
Just my view of things!!!

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 8, 2021 at 8:24 am Reason: Off topic
Old Jun 8, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by smes
So I just ran the blockade at YVR. Came in via KAL with a transit in ICN.

Here's what happened:
(...)
My experience was very similar except I travelled from Denver to Calgary and nobody at DEN cared about the lack of hotel reservation. They checked the PCR test and the ArriveCAN receipt at the gate.
Also, YYC isn't handing out tickets because AB hasn't adopted the Contraventions Act, and I got the note below (which I refused to sign):

I complied with the arrival testing procedure and am currently in home quarantine.

Originally Posted by smes
Hopefully, the charter challenge goes through. If not, looking forward to fighting this ticket myself!
Same here, I didn't book the quarantine hotel out of principle and will fight if I get a ticket.
LETTERBOY, smes and jackmaninov like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Just saw an article on Radio Canada (French CBC, in French) saying that they are seriously considering lifting the quarantine (not only the hotel quarantine, the 14 days as well) for fully vaccinated travelers.
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...u-legault-ford
This is encouraging, basically the federal government want to go this way but want to avoid any federal - provincial battle. AB and BC strongly want to go this way, and it looks like QC, finally, realized that the expert recommendations make sense, now that the vaccination campaign is going really fast. ON, we don't know...
There will still be some testing requirement, before and after travel.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Originally Posted by leoo
My experience was very similar except I travelled from Denver to Calgary and nobody at DEN cared about the lack of hotel reservation. They checked the PCR test and the ArriveCAN receipt at the gate.
Also, YYC isn't handing out tickets because AB hasn't adopted the Contraventions Act, and I got the note below (which I refused to sign):

I complied with the arrival testing procedure and am currently in home quarantine.

Same here, I didn't book the quarantine hotel out of principle and will fight if I get a ticket.
Hell yeah dude! If you get a ticket and take it to court DM me. I'm running a few ATIPs on PHAC to try and get their own assessments/modelling of the risk of PAX going home and not to the quarantine hotel. Will substantially help in a court challenge (this is a different approach to a charter challenge).
LETTERBOY, leoo and gei like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:19 am

Left Canada before COVID started

I left Canada long before the COVID pandemic started.
I paid one night for a quarantine hotel and it was approx. $350.

Is it really fair to punish people who left Canada before the pandemic began?

Can anyone think of a way that I may be able to get my $350 back?

In other words: You left Canada, had no way of magically knowing there would be a pandemic, but you are not allowed back into your own country unless you have the money to pay for a 3 day hotel quarantine that could cost you over $ 1 000. Either pay up or wait overseas indefinitely until we eventually get rid of the mandatory stay.

IMHO: Those who can prove that they left Canada before the pandemic began ought to be given an exemption (we were not).
LETTERBOY, gei and jackmaninov like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Dalgliesh
I left Canada long before the COVID pandemic started.
I paid one night for a quarantine hotel and it was approx. $350.

Is it really fair to punish people who left Canada before the pandemic began?

Can anyone think of a way that I may be able to get my $350 back?

In other words: You left Canada, had no way of magically knowing there would be a pandemic, but you are not allowed back into your own country unless you have the money to pay for a 3 day hotel quarantine that could cost you over $ 1 000. Either pay up or wait overseas indefinitely until we eventually get rid of the mandatory stay.

IMHO: Those who can prove that they left Canada before the pandemic began ought to be given an exemption (we were not).
I am sure this applies to many people world over. I cannot fly to the UK without paying for expensive testing, that did not exist last time I left the UK. I am sure they would not refund me the fees.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
I am sure this applies to many people world over. I cannot fly to the UK without paying for expensive testing, that did not exist last time I left the UK. I am sure they would not refund me the fees.
I see your point.

However I also had to pay for expensive testing.

The logic for the hotel stay seems to be to discourage international travel.

It would not have deterred anything for me as I needed to eventually come home anyway.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
I see your point.

However I also had to pay for expensive testing.

The logic for the hotel stay seems to be to discourage international travel.

It would not have deterred anything for me as I needed to eventually come home anyway.
I think it would help some if you tell us which hotel it was, and how you were able to only pay for one night. Most properties still seem to charge the full three nights at those extortionate rates. And yes, that policy was definitely meant to be punitive in order to discourage international travel. People like you who were caught in that are just collateral damage.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
In other words: You left Canada, had no way of magically knowing there would be a pandemic, but you are not allowed back into your own country unless you have the money to pay for a 3 day hotel quarantine that could cost you over $ 1 000.
To be fair, you had 11 months to come back before the hotel jails were put in place... even when they made the announcement, it took two weeks to implement. So this wasnt suddenly implemented, you chose to stay outside.
Bogwoppit and YYZ1313 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
To be fair, you had 11 months to come back before the hotel jails were put in place... even when they made the announcement, it took two weeks to implement. So this wasnt suddenly implemented, you chose to stay outside.
That's basically the same that everyone says, please understand:

Staying abroad for me was not much of a choice, for 2 reasons:

1) No jobs in Canada

2) Not eligible for any government assistance in Canada.

Someone with basically no hard skills (just soft skills like customer service) would not be able to find work.
Before going abroad I only worked customer service. Abroad I taught English (but am not a certified teacher).
Only thing I could have tried is teaching English online (however that got very saturated during COVID).
gei likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 12:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
To be fair, you had 11 months to come back before the hotel jails were put in place... even when they made the announcement, it took two weeks to implement.
Ya, I too was all too aware, and perhaps relied too closely on UA / AC not to mess up the segments as I arrived on eve of mandatory hotel stay. Probably not my best decision not to fly a day early to account for the fudge factor as we used to say in high school. Luckily all went well, though I could have taken a later flight in the day, so it wasn't totally reckless

That's basically the same that everyone says, please understand:

Staying abroad for me was not much of a choice, for 2 reasons:
Before going abroad I only worked customer service. Abroad I taught English (but am not a certified teacher).
Only thing I could have tried is teaching English online (however that got very saturated during COVID).
Well, this raises the question: did your teaching assignment come to an end, or why did you choose to come back right at this time, especially now with the rumors that the (at least) hotel stay will not get extended on 22nd like it has been for months now.

Not judging, just genuinely curious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.