Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by jackmaninov
Has anyone flown yet today? How are things looking with the restrictions dropped?
I walked through YVR this morning.
Less than 10% still wearing masks.
Lots of happy passengers and employees.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Driving through the land border was completely painless. Stopped by at YYZ since it was en route - few masks. Great. Looking forward to first maskless flight later in the week.
Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by lewis_m
The ArriveCAN app was updated to remove everything related to COVID. Only the optional custom declaration remains.
On a flight to LAS yesterday, masks we're not enforced at all.
I believe ArriveCan is going to be rebranded as "Advance CBSA declaration"
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2079241795645/
strickerj and TheCanuckian like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Covidian98
Wasn't there another App called eDeclaration that did this?
tentseller and asovse1 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Covidian98
So... Don't delete our accounts just yet?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Curious as to how voluntarily completing AriveCan now (or not) might affect the entry process. I’m thinking about whether the CBSA might give you a different experience. For example, with Nexus, the questions are generally few and it’s easy unless you hit a random or arouse suspicion.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: hahaha
A free response field so that I can type in my declarations in advance of the CBSA officer would be nice, and I'd be a regular user of the app if that was implemented.

I'm always bringing in 20-30kg of produce, >$800 in electronics and liquor with every air border crossing, so my NEXUS verbal declarations are quite...verbose and overwhelming

Otherwise, I don't see how the app rebranding can benefit NEXUS travellers (not that the former eDeclaration app did anything for us anyway, and was marginal benefit to non-NEXUS pax since it was basically the old version of the primary inspection kiosk pre-loaded on your phone)
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:14 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by asovse1
I'm always bringing in 20-30kg of produce, >$800 in electronics and liquor with every air border crossing, so my NEXUS verbal declarations are quite...verbose and overwhelming

...)
It would be nice if the app also included a function to self-assess and pay any duties should you exceed your personal exemption. As documentation, you would upload pictures of the receipts and perhaps goods for the purchases you made outside the country.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 5:20 am

You literally can’t use the new ArriveCan with Nexus. Only passports and PR cards are supported documents. I was playing with it with my pre-saved nexus card and the app gets stuck on the document screen. Made it that much easier to delete my account.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Wasn't there another App called eDeclaration that did this?
eDeclaration required you to scan a QR code on the PIK machine. The new ArriveCan Advance CBSA Declaration is linked to your passport number and gets pulled automatically when you can your passport on the PIK Kiosk. Unlike the US's implementation of Mobile Passport Control, CBSA does nothing with your Advance Declaration until you certify your declaration using the PIK machine.

Originally Posted by gigafishing
You literally can’t use the new ArriveCan with Nexus. Only passports and PR cards are supported documents. I was playing with it with my pre-saved nexus card and the app gets stuck on the document screen. Made it that much easier to delete my account.
No point in doing the ArriveCAN Advance Declaration if you have NEXUS. You're technically not supposed to use the NEXUS PIKs if you have anything to declare(i.e. >$10k in cash).
OSSYULYYZ likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by OccasionallyFlying
You're technically not supposed to use the NEXUS PIKs if you have anything to declare(i.e. >$10k in cash).
Some declarations are OK, but have to be done verbally. Can't use NEXUS if you have commercial goods, items that require a permit or are otherwise restricted, or as you said, a large amount of cash.

1. Entering Canada by air
if you are crossing the border in the air, land or marine modes of transportation with currency or monetary instruments valued at Can$10,000 or more, you cannot use NEXUS
2. How to use NEXUS kiosks and eGates
As a NEXUS member, it is your responsibility to declare any controlled or restricted items as well as any goods that exceed your personal exemptions or allowances.

Note: Declarations will not be completed at the kiosks or eGates. If you have something to declare you must do so verbally, to an officer, at a clearly marked area in the customs hall after using the kiosk or eGate.
If you have any commercial goods in your possession or baggage upon arrival in Canada, you may not use NEXUS.
If you have any goods that may be restricted, controlled or prohibited, or if the goods you are importing require a permit, such as firearms, you may not use NEXUS.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gigafishing
Originally Posted by Rare
Some declarations are OK, but have to be done verbally. Can't use NEXUS if you have commercial goods, items that require a permit or are otherwise restricted, or as you said, a large amount of cash.

1. Entering Canada by air

2. How to use NEXUS kiosks and eGates
Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't aware of that. Either way, I don't expect ArriveCan to accept NEXUS declarations unless the NEXUS Kiosks get also get an update which allow for declarations to be inputted. Whole point of CBSA Advance Declaration is to skip the Declaration part on the PIK Kiosks themselves. And the point of PIK Kiosks is to spit out a receipt that replaces paper declarations.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The only difference between ArriveCan declaration and Kiosk declaration is that you are answering the question in private vs the YYZ staff looking over your shoulders.
With an ArriveCan declaration, one still has to scan one's passport at the kiosk where one will still be photographed and the slip issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.