Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:48 pm

Hmmmm, I am flying back from LHR on 26th. Now wondering if it is worth staying a few more days to take advantage of the lessened restrictions. Haven't been on a plane for two years so no idea how much hassle the return currently is. I will be connecting in YUL to YYZ, does anyone know if they are testing all pax at the moment?
Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Official changes starting Feb 28th:

Rapid antigen tests will be accepted for entry into Canada if taken within 24 hours before departure. Tests with online supervision will be accepted.
Eligible travellers leaving Canada and returning within 72 hours won't need to provide a test.
No more mandatory arrival testing. Travellers may be randomly selection upon arrival for testing but won't be required to quarantine.
Free rapid tests will be given to arriving travellers but they're to be used on a voluntary basis.
Fully vaccinated children under 12 won't need to avoid high-risk settings anymore (school, camp, etc.)
Global travel advisory will be lifted.
This bolded rule is already in effect.

What I'd like to see happen is children under 5 year old (too young to be vaccinated) be allowed to return to daycare after a reduced period or after negative test, not after 14 days as it's currently the case. Here in Quebec, isolation has been reduced to 5 days for kids who attend daycare and there's no isolation for kids if their classmate/teacher catches COVID but kid doesn't have symptoms
Yul_voyager and PetrozzaFam like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by D404
It doesn't seem particularily wise to be posting about blatantly breaking federal law, even if you think you're anonymous (you are less so than you think) or that it won't be followed up on. As noted above, never underestimate how stuff can come back to haunt you.
I believe quite the opposite actually. More people need to speak up and fight back against these ridiculous rules they have. It’s the only way the restrictions will be lifted. Up until now Canadians have not had much of a voice in this matter but the more I travel the more I see people refusing to go along with their theatre. And the more of that happens the sooner it will all disappear.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by J. Leslie
CUN-YYC. Arrive and get ‘randomly selected’. Third time in three. Proceed through baggage and CBSA exit. Find the testing folks ar the end of the line. Tell them, politely, to p*ss off. Proceed to parking lot. Arrive home. Bottom line: don’t play their COVID Theatre. In case anyone is wondering, I’m triple vaxxed
I tried doing the exact same yesterday at Pearson. I had a long conversation with a police officer who actually told me she agrees with me and does not condone anything that they are doing at the airport with regards to testing post arrival. She would not let me leave however unless I took a ticket for $6000 or did a test. And when I told her that no one would pay that ticket she said I am exactly right no one pays the ticket. But I figured if I’m going to fight or file to fight a ticket in court or do a Covid test I’m participating in their theatre either way. So I did the test but caused a bit of a ruckus and I think that’s what more people need to do so that they eventually get fed up and drop all the BS
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by PetrozzaFam
I tried doing the exact same yesterday at Pearson. I had a long conversation with a police officer who actually told me she agrees with me and does not condone anything that they are doing at the airport with regards to testing post arrival. She would not let me leave however unless I took a ticket for $6000 or did a test. And when I told her that no one would pay that ticket she said I am exactly right no one pays the ticket. But I figured if I’m going to fight or file to fight a ticket in court or do a Covid test I’m participating in their theatre either way. So I did the test but caused a bit of a ruckus and I think that’s what more people need to do so that they eventually get fed up and drop all the BS
When I did that at YYC in December, there were no police...just some unidentified dude in a yellow vest. No threat of a ticket or anything like that. I don't think Alberta is enforcing the Quarantine Act, but it looks like Ontario is. You're right - either way, it's theatre.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MartiniGomez
You could take an online antigen test with eg Klarity in DOH. They work from 8 - 20 European time, also during weekends. Costs are eur 10 or 20 don't know exactly. Results with certificate back within 30 minutes. Used this for a recent trip to US and very happy to be able to use this for a trip to Canada in March!
I was thinking this as well, but the problem might be that if this is all on one ticket, there may be a refused boarding situation at the first airport because the requirement can’t be met. But as posted above, I suspect the 72 hour PCR test will still be accepted.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I was thinking this as well, but the problem might be that if this is all on one ticket, there may be a refused boarding situation at the first airport because the requirement can’t be met. But as posted above, I suspect the 72 hour PCR test will still be accepted.
This is what I am going to do depending on what they come out with on the 1st March. It would be silly not to accept the PCR test all of a sudden.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by LondonElite
yes
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by flying_pig
Thank you sydneyracquelle! Would you or anyone else have any link to written legislation around this? I just want to make sure I am covering all angles as I am a little paranoid on being caught doing something that contravenes the regulations. It seems to be the same as the UK, where one is always able to stop quarantine/isolation for the purpose of leaving the country. This is well documented in the paperwork in UK, but have not been able to find this online yet for Canada.

...and if anyone has any recent experiences of the percentage of passengers selected for arrival testing in YVR, that would also be interesting to know. It is hard to decipher the real situation, with some news outlets reporting testing close to 100% of arrivals, but anecdotal evidence from friends and colleagues suggesting it's much less. I will be coming from the US, but would have been to other countries in the days prior so from what I read flying from US doesn't really help.
I don't think that they select a percentage but more likely a fixed number of people per hour according to the testing capacity they have. So if it's a slow morning with few flights coming in likely most of the arrivals will be selected, and when it is busy with long line ups then they pick as many as they can handle.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
This bolded rule is already in effect.

What I'd like to see happen is children under 5 year old (too young to be vaccinated) be allowed to return to daycare after a reduced period or after negative test, not after 14 days as it's currently the case. Here in Quebec, isolation has been reduced to 5 days for kids who attend daycare and there's no isolation for kids if their classmate/teacher catches COVID but kid doesn't have symptoms
Actually, that was another mistake. Children under 12 who are not fully vaccinated won't need to isolate anymore. Announcement should come out today.
samplat likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:53 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I find it interesting how much certainty there seems to be in this thread about what the new rules are going to be, given nothing has yet been announced.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I find it interesting how much certainty there seems to be in this thread about what the new rules are going to be, given nothing has yet been announced.

just a matter of time
Globalnews
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:11 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Certain poster seems to have 100%, or very close to it, accuracy when making predictions
exbayern and _billy_ like this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Just out on the cbc website:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pcr...drop-1.6350469
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:39 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Certain poster seems to have 100%, or very close to it, accuracy when making predictions
Actually, some of the people posting with great certainty have a very poor track record on the predictions they've posted in the past.

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Just out on the cbc website
Originally Posted by _billy_
just a matter of time
Globalnews
​​​​​​More "sources say", "Ottawa will announce" type stuff.

I'm not saying changes aren't coming, but the pre-announcement speculation has frequently been wrong, either in a small way or a big way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.