Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by folkart
I am looking at a quick Canada- US trip retiring 1 1/2 days later. Would I be able to use my PCR test from Canada to enter the US and ( less than 72 hours) use it again to re-enter Canada?
​​​​​
Not anymore. You could have until December but the pcr test to get into Canada must now be taken in USA.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Old Feb 11, 2022, 12:38 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Not quite official yet but possible changes starting March 1st:

No more mandatory on arrival testing, only random with no quarantine until results come in.
Rapid antigen tests will be accepted for entry into Canada if taken within 24 hours of departure.
No more warning to avoid non-essential travel.
So, instead of scrapping the requirement for pre-departure testing altogether, which has proven completely ineffective at preventing the spread of the virus to and within Canada, we're going to continue to accept tests that have proven to be vastly more ineffective against the currently predominant variant? What a waste of taxpayers' time and money
Crampedin13A, yyztozag and Stil like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
So, instead of scrapping the requirement for pre-departure testing altogether, which has proven completely ineffective at preventing the spread of the virus to and within Canada, we're going to continue to accept tests that have proven to be vastly more ineffective against the currently predominant variant? What a waste of taxpayers' time and money
It’s a step in the right direction, at the very least. You’d have to think the testing requirement will remain in place at least through the remainder of this current wave… either way, I hope the rumours turn out to be true and the onerous PCR test becomes a thing of the past.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 6:04 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ffsim
It’s a step in the right direction, at the very least. You’d have to think the testing requirement will remain in place at least through the remainder of this current wave… either way, I hope the rumours turn out to be true and the onerous PCR test becomes a thing of the past.
I'm hoping that any changes they make to testing would at least allow the three-day PCR window to return where you can be tested before departing Canada, provided you return within 72 hours. It's no more ridiculous than any of the other testing rules!
Old Feb 11, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I'm hoping that any changes they make to testing would at least allow the three-day PCR window to return where you can be tested before departing Canada, provided you return within 72 hours. It's no more ridiculous than any of the other testing rules!
That would going back to how things were prior to December, no? The issue I had with that was it did absolutely nothing to ensure that the traveller didn’t get infected prior to returning to Canada. I’d like to see the testing mandate dropped altogether but if they’re going to keep something around, a rapid antigen test requirement similar to what the US has in place shouldn’t be too burdensome as we exit the 5th wave.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Fingers crossed here as well on the removal of the testing to get on the plane to return to Canada. Unfortunately while I think this might have already been in the cards it will now be pushed further back for purely political reasons. The pent up demand for international travel as the travel industry has pointed out is there but with the PCR test being so sensitive to picking up old Omicron traces it's still quite a risk to travel until this testing theatre is finally removed
Old Feb 11, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Announcement coming next week: https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada...nced-next-week
Crampedin13A and _billy_ like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Hopefully the loosening of the restrictions become effective as quickly as they like to tighten them. So days rather than weeks
Old Feb 11, 2022, 11:49 am

Flying up to Canada for the long Prez Day weekend. Hopefully the easier requirements will be in effect by then.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Flying back to Canada from the UK first week in March. Hopefully the easier requirements will be in effect by then, if they don't come into effect by Presidents' Day!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Flying up to Canada for the long Prez Day weekend. Hopefully the easier requirements will be in effect by then.
I heard March 1st.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ffsim
That would going back to how things were prior to December, no? The issue I had with that was it did absolutely nothing to ensure that the traveller didn’t get infected prior to returning to Canada. I’d like to see the testing mandate dropped altogether but if they’re going to keep something around, a rapid antigen test requirement similar to what the US has in place shouldn’t be too burdensome as we exit the 5th wave.
Agreed. Or no testing for short trips. Or no testing at all for vaccinated travellers. I'm hoping for the latter, but will take whatever I can get at this point...
Crampedin13A, LETTERBOY and ffsim like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 8:49 pm

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...says-1.5778453

Feds to eliminate pre-arrival PCR testing for fully vaccinated Canadian travellers, source says

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 11, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Old Feb 11, 2022, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...says-1.5778453

Feds to eliminate pre-arrival PCR testing for fully vaccinated Canadian travellers, source says

Yes, but both the story and tonight's CTV National News still say:

Canadians will be required to show proof of a negative antigen test, similar to the United States.

Easier, but still a pain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.