Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
it does ask whether you've had a pre-arrival test done. That's not "nothing".
Some people are exempt.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by txp
This would require an Order in Council (OIC) issued by the Governor General, because the PM does not have authority under the Canadian constitution to issue executive orders.

Does Ms. Simon have any say in this or will she simply rubber stamp the PM's decision?

Any chance Ms. Simon might be persuaded to not sign the OIC?
There are temporary tools outside of OICs. The Minister of Transport can do an Interim Order under the Aeronautics Act. It's immediately valid for 14 days, then only continues if the Governor in Council (an OIC?) signs off on it. A lot of our COVID restrictions come from that: https://tc.canada.ca/en/ministerial-...covid-19-no-49

Of course this couldn't apply to land/water crossings.

Then there's Emergency Orders under the Quarantine Act.

I dunno enough to know if these tools could create a "non-essential travel ban", but seems like they functionally could without an OIC.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by txp
Any chance Ms. Simon might be persuaded to not sign the OIC?
Zero. And as much as I dislike the current government I think it is better to have elected people to make decision instead of the Queen or her representative.
jlisi984 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SE
Is this new—that people who are tested upon arrival do not need to quarantine while awaiting a result? This is from Canada.ca:

Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Zero. And as much as I dislike the current government I think it is better to have elected people to make decision instead of the Queen or her representative.
Cant PM just ask her to resign if she refuses? That’s what I would think might happen.

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Is this new—that people who are tested upon arrival do not need to quarantine while awaiting a result? This is from Canada.ca:

well, might depend on which rules we are starting from.

Pre-Omicron, this was the standard (at least after the hotel quarantine period), if you were randomly selected for testing, no quarantine while waiting. As Omicron started, the announcement was all travelers entering (except if those coming from the US) would have to do the test, and quarantine while waiting for the results (without a forced hotel quarantine - on your own at home). It’s debatable whether this policy was ever fully implemented - or at least yet - and testing still appears to be random. We have a report or two above I think saying quarantine required, but there don’t seem to be a flood of reports suggesting this is the case, at least currently. Who knows in an hour from now?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
An hour into this afternoon's CUN - YUL the (very friendly and awesome with children I should add) FA tells me they just got an email that starting from today everyone will be tested. Said he'll bring me the details after meal service.

Sure enough. He got an email on Friday Nov 17 from Air Canada.

I couldn't get a copy but did see that it read that effective as of Dec 20 *everybody* arriving will get tested on arrival, and to tell the passengers to go to www.aircanada.com/arrivaltest

That just takes you to a page with the registration sites for the testing providers at various Canadian airports.

He will be announcing it over the intercom soon he says. We are halfway to Montreal right now.

Not sure what to think of it...
Old Dec 20, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
I couldn't get a copy but did see that it read that effective as of Dec 20 *everybody* arriving will get tested on arrival, and to tell the passengers to go to www.aircanada.com/arrivaltest

That just takes you to a page with the registration sites for the testing providers at various Canadian airports.

He will be announcing it over the intercom soon he says. We are halfway to Montreal right now.

Not sure what to think of it...
They made this announcement on my LHR-YYZ today, FWIW. Of course they said the wrong URL during he announcement 'arrivaltesting' instead of 'arrivaltest'.

(As a side note, the Switch health registration page is confusing - it has a required canadian phone number, labelled 'cell phone' which the YYZ testing staff told me to put a landline in, because, shockingly, I do not have a Canadian cell phone number. I would have registered far earlier if I knew it wasn't a required cell phone number...)
Old Dec 20, 2021, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by D404
They made this announcement on my LHR-YYZ today, FWIW. Of course they said the wrong URL during he announcement 'arrivaltesting' instead of 'arrivaltest'.

(As a side note, the Switch health registration page is confusing - it has a required canadian phone number, labelled 'cell phone' which the YYZ testing staff told me to put a landline in, because, shockingly, I do not have a Canadian cell phone number. I would have registered far earlier if I knew it wasn't a required cell phone number...)
Language imprecisions like these drive me crazy: "No, your website isn't clear."

So was EVERYONE tested on arrival at YYZ or given a kit?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:39 pm

Thanks for the warning. Flying USA to YYZ tomorrow morning. No time or patience for aggravation. Switching my flight now to BUF instead.

UPDATE: Today was seamless. No line drove right up showed ArriveCAN and covid test took 30 seconds goodbye no random test.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Dec 21, 2021 at 3:47 pm
Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
So was EVERYONE tested on arrival at YYZ or given a kit?
Not sure, since I was in J, and they had everyone with connections get off first. All the connections got tested directly in YYZ as far as I could tell.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Thanks for the warning. Flying USA to YYZ tomorrow morning. No time or patience for aggravation. Switching my flight now to BUF instead.
Me too, thanks for the warning. I canceled my trip from DEN to YYZ tomorrow. Looked at BUF but flights are expensive and so are rental cars. Looks like I’ll have to spend Christmas skiing 😃.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
unless something’s change, US arrivals don’t automatically get tested (unless you’ve been to another country outside of Canada/US in past 14 days). There’s still a chance of a random, I suppose. Could be wrong, but I suspect with everyone else required to be tested, they’re probably not randoming many US folks for testing.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 1:13 am

So after landing at YUL I got a sticker that that apparently required testing at the airport. The kids and wife got different stickers. Not sure their significance, didn't care to find out.

Some guy told us to go "this way" because we were a family, so we went down this stanchion line where families were given, I think, take home kits. Three or four posts before the crowd of parents and children, the belt between two posts was retracted. I thought to myself, surely this is what the fellow meant, just hang a right towards freedom. So we did. Screw them.

Well, in the next hall no fewer than 2 nice young people asked to see our passports and said I had to get swabbed. Decent connection time (and J) became tight-ish. If I had lined up with the rest of compliant humanity in the previous hall I probably would have missed my YYC flight. And I have to be in Edmonton tomorrow (er, today, I am writing from the hotel room after midnight).

I think I spent close to a full day out of our vacation dealing with forms and tests and such other nonsense. I was so angry today at YUL. Just beyond furious.

As people filed past us getting on the YYC flight, it occurred to me that unlike me, few of them had had a negative PCR test a couple of days ago. If anyone was a danger, it was they to me. I have no intention of abiding by any random quarantine oder - which is what this is.

I am so over this.
leoo and MrDebt like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 21, 2021 at 7:34 am Reason: Off topic political
Old Dec 21, 2021, 3:12 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
VIE-YYZ on December 18, prior to landing the crew announced that due to new rules, all passengers would get tested on arrival. We went to connections area, both received green stamp on the passport, went out of the immigration area and arrived where there was staff to check passports and a covid test station. We were told we could simply go ahead - we arrived straight into the D-gates area. So no test for us.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:45 am

So after landing at YUL I got a sticker that that apparently required testing at the airport. The kids and wife got different stickers. Not sure their significance, didn't care to find out.

Some guy told us to go "this way" because we were a family, so we went down this stanchion line where families were given, I think, take home kits. Three or four posts before the crowd of parents and children, the belt between two posts was retracted. I thought to myself, surely this is what the fellow meant, just hang a right towards freedom. So we did. Screw them.

Well, in the next hall no fewer than 2 nice young people asked to see our passports and said I had to get swabbed. Decent connection time (and J) became tight-ish. If I had lined up with the rest of compliant humanity in the previous hall I probably would have missed my YYC flight. And I have to be in Edmonton tomorrow (er, today, I am writing from the hotel room after midnight).

I think I spent close to a full day out of our vacation dealing with forms and tests and such other nonsense. I was so angry today at YUL. Just beyond furious.

As people filed past us getting on the YYC flight, it occurred to me that unlike me, few of them had had a negative PCR test a couple of days ago. If anyone was a danger, it was they to me. I have no intention of abiding by any random quarantine oder - which is what this is. I am so over this.
I still have 3 blue boxes sitting on my desk from 3 entries this past summer. Couldn’t be bothered to do them and no one has ever followed up.
LETTERBOY and MrDebt like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.