Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
I read somewhere the rules come into effect Dec 21. With previous rules how were different time zones treated? Arriving at YVR at 11:30 pm - os that deemed next day for the purposes of these kinds of orders in the past?
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
I read somewhere the rules come into effect Dec 21. With previous rules how were different time zones treated? Arriving at YVR at 11:30 pm - os that deemed next day for the purposes of these kinds of orders in the past?
Usually local time.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:52 am
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Usually local time.
Per government website:

* The deadline to enter without a PCR test following short US trips is 12:01 am ET on Dec 21. This would be 9:01 pm PT on December 20.
* Lifting of the entry restriction from ten African countries ends today Dec 18 at 11:59 pm ET, or 8:59 pm PT.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Oh dear...

Canada is still considering a ban on non-essential travellers, sources say
Old Dec 18, 2021, 1:18 pm
txp

This would require an Order in Council (OIC) issued by the Governor General, because the PM does not have authority under the Canadian constitution to issue executive orders.

Does Ms. Simon have any say in this or will she simply rubber stamp the PM's decision?

Any chance Ms. Simon might be persuaded to not sign the OIC?
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by txp
This would require an Order in Council (OIC) issued by the Governor General, because the PM does not have authority under the Canadian constitution to issue executive orders.

Does Ms. Simon have any say in this or will she simply rubber stamp the PM's decision?

Any chance Ms. Simon might be persuaded to not sign the OIC?
From a British perspective, the Governor General is effectively providing the Royal Prerogative, yes? That being the case, in the UK if the PM requested the Queen sign off on something and she refused AND it leaked, that would cause a constitutional crisis. So I would expect the same to be true in Canada
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:52 am
txp

Originally Posted by Saintsman15
From a British perspective, the Governor General is effectively providing the Royal Prerogative, yes? That being the case, in the UK if the PM requested the Queen sign off on something and she refused AND it leaked, that would cause a constitutional crisis. So I would expect the same to be true in Canada
You are correct. The GC provides the Royal Prerogative when the Queen is not physically in Canada "in her Royal person." Which means that Ms. Simon will have to rubber stamp the PM's decision unless she wants to take us closer to the Republic of Canada.

This said, isn't there somewhat of a higher bar to issue an OIC rather than a regulatory measure announced by a cabinet minister? I am asking because some of the rumors that circulated earlier on this board said that whatever the government is trying to accomplish, they want to do so without issuing an OIC. I assume it is because the bar is higher for an OIC.

So, assuming that the PM (for whatever reason) does not want to issue an OIC, I would not foresee any prohibition of entry of foreign nationals any time soon.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Plat
Quarantine if randomly selected for arrivals test?

I am seeing conflicting info re the airport random arrivals covid test. Govt of Canada web site says you can go on your way while waiting for the results. Toronto Pearson web site says you have to quarantine before you travel onwards. Any experiences with this?
Old Dec 19, 2021, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I am seeing conflicting info re the airport random arrivals covid test. Govt of Canada web site says you can go on your way while waiting for the results. Toronto Pearson web site says you have to quarantine before you travel onwards. Any experiences with this?
Yes, you can continue your journey (including connecting flights) to you destination, where you then isolate until you get results.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Yes, you can continue your journey (including connecting flights) to you destination, where you then isolate until you get results.
Thanks, A friend of a friend who arrived two days ago had to isolate in a hotel for 3 days awaiting his negative test, and apparently it was not his choice to do so. But I don’t have any of the details.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
Thanks, A friend of a friend who arrived two days ago had to isolate in a hotel for 3 days awaiting his negative test, and apparently it was not his choice to do so. But I don’t have any of the details.
Did he arrive from one of these countries: South Africa, Mozambique, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Eswatini, Namibia, Nigeria, Malawi, or Egypt?
Old Dec 19, 2021, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Did he arrive from one of these countries: South Africa, Mozambique, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Eswatini, Namibia, Nigeria, Malawi, or Egypt?
Dubai, via NYC. I don’t know if he got a covid test while transiting in NYC.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:42 pm

Does ArriveCan ask to upload a negative 72 hour test result? I went through the whole process and don't believe I was ever prompted to upload a PCR result.

Was asked to upload a photo of vaccination passport. It took several times to get it to actually upload - I didn't do anything different any of the times.

Also, my 3-year old isn't required to do the 72-hour PCR test. Her birthday is entered correctly in her profile. One of the steps asks if each traveller has had the 72-hr test. Of course I select No for the little one. Next page has this scary warning that we could be subject to this, that and the other, including thousands in fines, if a traveller shows up without a negative test result. Like, couldn't the developer do a simple boolean, if age<5 => don't issue threats. Jeepers!

Anyway, it did spit up a QR code. The adults both have a red "V" next to our names.

For that matter, would the airline ask to upload a test result during OLCI? The section regarding this type of thing on AC's website has the heading "upload test results". Yet the only thing I was asked to upload is the vaxx passport. What the heck??

We did all get checked in online. The little one actually got her BP, but for the rest of us it threw some error (must be re: 72-hr tests).
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:47 pm

ArriveCAN has nothing to do with covid test. Just vaccine proof to avoid quarantine. Covid test is checked by airlines and at land border. Being vaccinated gets you out of quarantine. Lack of a 72-hour covid test gets you denied boarding or a $5,000 fine at land border. There is no ability to upload covid test result to ArriveCAN.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Dec 19, 2021 at 4:52 pm
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
ArriveCAN has nothing to do with covid test. Just vaccine proof.
it does ask whether you've had a pre-arrival test done. That's not "nothing".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.