Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mlbcard
Where in the US can you get rapid NAAT? Is that what the ID NOW test is? Clearly the PCR test with it's up to 72 hrs turnaround won't work.

Edited: I just answered my own question - yes, the ID NOW test at Walgreens is NAAT - turn around time is usually a few hours.
My last two NAAT tests at Walgreens in Phoenix returned in 74 minutes (10:00 am appointment) and 25 minutes (7:45 pm appointment)

James
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
IME Walgreens NAAT turnaround time varies between 30 minutes to 6 hours.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by seawolf
IME Walgreens NAAT turnaround time varies between 30 minutes to 6 hours.
When I looked into it seems like rapid NAATs dose around 175 USD and many sites claim that rapid tests are generally not covered by insurance even. What’s your take on that?
Old Sep 25, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by Nayef
When I looked into it seems like rapid NAATs dose around 175 USD and many sites claim that rapid tests are generally not covered by insurance even. What’s your take on that?
ive tested myself and my kids many times at Walgreens and it’s always been free. CVS also (although the took my insurance info, I never got charged). There are some locations that charge (like airports).
seawolf likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mlbcard
ive tested myself and my kids many times at Walgreens and it’s always been free. CVS also (although the took my insurance info, I never got charged). There are some locations that charge (like airports).
When I was looking through cvs and Walgreens and they said there are appointments for (PCR/NAAT) tests that can be scheduled and the results take 1-2 days. Nothing indicating a rapid NAAT test can be taken.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by Nayef
When I was looking through cvs and Walgreens and they said there are appointments for (PCR/NAAT) tests that can be scheduled and the results take 1-2 days. Nothing indicating a rapid NAAT test can be taken.
Only Walgreens, not CVS does rapid NAAT tests. You have to select "rapid diagnostic test" - the red dot. It's not available at all Walgreens locations as some only offer PCR.
seawolf, OSSYULYYZ and Nayef like this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xray
Only Walgreens, not CVS does rapid NAAT tests. You have to select "rapid diagnostic test" - the red dot. It's not available at all Walgreens locations as some only offer PCR.
this.

I’m here in the Bay Area, and the IDNow (which I think is the rapid NAAT talked about here) only appears to be available at one store nearby - in Oakland - the closest next store it lists is in Carson City, NV. I know the regular PCR tests are available at a ton of other Walgreens locations around here.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Hello Canadian flyers, I would greatly appreciate your help on this. According to Canada's travel web site, domestic transfers within Canada aren't allowed when the final destination is a country other than Canada. However, Canada now allows vaccinated U.S. citizens into the country for leisure purposes and hence why I'm a bit confused... I mean, if I'm allowed to enter as a vaccinated U.S. citizens and spend several days in the country, I'm not sure why I would be denied transiting to another Canadian city. The reason I ask is because there was a schedule change to my itinerary and now I'm flying MIA YYZ YUL CDG (all flights on the same day) and I'm a little worried about this. Thanks everyone for your feedback in advance.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by fly747first
Hello Canadian flyers, I would greatly appreciate your help on this. According to Canada's travel web site, domestic transfers within Canada aren't allowed when the final destination is a country other than Canada. However, Canada now allows vaccinated U.S. citizens into the country for leisure purposes and hence why I'm a bit confused... I mean, if I'm allowed to enter as a vaccinated U.S. citizens and spend several days in the country, I'm not sure why I would be denied transiting to another Canadian city. The reason I ask is because there was a schedule change to my itinerary and now I'm flying MIA YYZ YUL CDG (all flights on the same day) and I'm a little worried about this. Thanks everyone for your feedback in advance.
It means you'll have to satisfy all requirements for entry in order to transit. COVID test, ArriveCAN app, etc.
seawolf and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:06 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
It means you'll have to satisfy all requirements for entry in order to transit. COVID test, ArriveCAN app, etc.
The challenge I see is ArriveCAN is going to ask for a Canadian address for quarantine plan. And it only accepts Canadian address. So you technically have to make a false declaration on this part just to be able to submit this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
The challenge I see is ArriveCAN is going to ask for a Canadian address for quarantine plan. And it only accepts Canadian address. So you technically have to make a false declaration on this part just to be able to submit this.
I would be checking bags MIA YYZ YUL CDG so I thought they would know the itinerary
Old Sep 25, 2021, 10:10 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by fly747first
I would be checking bags MIA YYZ YUL CDG so I thought they would know the itinerary
ArriveCAN wouldn’t know anything. Think of as an electronic version of a paper declaration form where there is a section requiring a Canadian address in order to submit. CBSA and probably the airline will ask for the submitted confirmation. You probably with need to enter a dummy address in order to submit and tell CBSA you are transiting.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 5:49 am

Just list a YYZ airport hotel. I often (every week) do daytrips from USA to Canada (dual citizen) where I have no address. So I just put a dummy hotel. The app also asks me for every country visited in the past 14 days and Canada is not listed as an option so I always have to say none.
IndoChine likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Just list a YYZ airport hotel. I often (every week) do daytrips from USA to Canada (dual citizen) where I have no address. So I just put a dummy hotel. The app also asks me for every country visited in the past 14 days and Canada is not listed as an option so I always have to say none.
Good to know!
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: United Gold *G, Nexus/GE, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
this.

I’m here in the Bay Area, and the IDNow (which I think is the rapid NAAT talked about here) only appears to be available at one store nearby - in Oakland - the closest next store it lists is in Carson City, NV. I know the regular PCR tests are available at a ton of other Walgreens locations around here.
In San Francisco, I found out that CVS does rapid PCR testing now. It's a "Community Site" if you search for a rapid test. I was very surprised to see this since most are antigen tests:

FWIW, it was a movie theatre that was closed a while back, at the corner of Van Ness and Sutter. I got my results in 45 minutes, apparently it's a rapid PCR test by Mesa Biotech. Also, I was never asked for my insurance information. It worked fine for entering YYC on Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.