Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
An interesting change to the official website just now. Anyone currently in a GAA hotel may check out at 00:01 EST with no fine. Hotels are expected to refund anyone who booked a hotel after this date and also to refund those who check out at 00:01 EST for their remaining nights.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...s-booking.html

EmailKid likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
An interesting change to the official website just now. Anyone currently in a GAA hotel may check out at 00:01 EST with no fine. Hotels are expected to refund anyone who booked a hotel after this date and also to refund those who check out at 00:01 EST for their remaining nights.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...s-booking.html

Should’ve done this back in February😊
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC SE
Some of the land borders are being absolutely crushed today.

According to the Government of Canada site, it's a 7-hour wait at the Fort Frances Bridge and a 2-hour wait at several others.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Some of the land borders are being absolutely crushed today.

According to the Government of Canada site, it's a 7-hour wait at the Fort Frances Bridge and a 2-hour wait at several others.
I'm on the fence as to whether it is accurate or not. It is showing 45 minute wait for Rainbow earlier today but traffic cams didn't show any traffic on the bridge at all.

Granted it could be CBSA taking >10-15 minutes to process each vehicle so if three vehicles line up, that's 45 minutes.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 12:45 pm

I tried the wizard questionnaire as a vaxxed and tested American citizen visiting Canada for pure tourism and it still says I won't be allowed?

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...s/wizard-start
Even though the yellow text above says otherwise. Is it just that the wizard isn't updated yet?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: AP 35K
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I tried the wizard questionnaire as a vaxxed and tested American citizen visiting Canada for pure tourism and it still says I won't be allowed?

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...s/wizard-start
Even though the yellow text above says otherwise. Is it just that the wizard isn't updated yet?
Yeah the wizard hasn't been updated yet.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 3:30 pm

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...imes-1.6135122

Looks like some of these wait times are real.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Schweden
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...imes-1.6135122

Looks like some of these wait times are real.
Expecting something similar for when hotel quarantine ended for Canadians I changed my flight to a few days later.

Talking to folks at the airport at YVR, it was the right decision
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:04 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
My experience with Lacolle/Champlain last week

Crossed the border by land round-trip last week as a dual citizen. Purpose: one week vacation in Montreal.

CBSA agent at Lacolle Autoroute 15 was very nice and professional. He most likely had verified the info in ArriveCan before I got to the border. When asked about the purpose of the travel I said "vacation." He asked to see the negative COVID test result and I was on my way with my home COVID test kit from SwitchHealth. The inspection process (all primary inspection) took three minutes.

One week later:

CBP agent at Champlain was equally nice and professional. Again, he asked about the purpose of the trip and what I was bringing back. He wanted to know how I got into Canada and I explained I was a dual citizen. The explanation appears to have been satisfactory. He then asked about what I am bringing back and I showed him a list of purchases, all less than the allowable exemption. I was on my way in about 2-3 minutes.

I am very impressed with the level of professionalism on both sides of the border.

BTW: I have been back in the US since Saturday and I am still waiting for the results of my second COVID test done in Canada via SwitchHealth!
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Hoping they open NEXUS lanes back up. Site indicates many are "temporarily closed."

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex....html#where-ou
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by txp
Crossed the border by land round-trip last week as a dual citizen. Purpose: one week vacation in Montreal.

CBSA agent at Lacolle Autoroute 15 was very nice and professional. He most likely had verified the info in ArriveCan before I got to the border. When asked about the purpose of the travel I said "vacation." He asked to see the negative COVID test result and I was on my way with my home COVID test kit from SwitchHealth. The inspection process (all primary inspection) took three minutes.

One week later:

CBP agent at Champlain was equally nice and professional. Again, he asked about the purpose of the trip and what I was bringing back. He wanted to know how I got into Canada and I explained I was a dual citizen. The explanation appears to have been satisfactory. He then asked about what I am bringing back and I showed him a list of purchases, all less than the allowable exemption. I was on my way in about 2-3 minutes.

I am very impressed with the level of professionalism on both sides of the border.

BTW: I have been back in the US since Saturday and I am still waiting for the results of my second COVID test done in Canada via SwitchHealth!
If you only went for a week why did you bother doing the 8th day covid test??
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by spartacus81
But that only leaves it applying to those arriving later today, before midnight. And the instructions in the email are to download a new version at midnight tonight, and resubmit. So none of it makes sense, unless they want people who're arriving today to resubmit ArriveCan tomorrow, once they're already in Canada.

I guess I'll try to resubmit after 6am European time, before my flight.
I didn't end up re-submitting since the new app version didn't show up until a few hours after midnight EST, and had no problems. Stupid email just made me worry for nothing.

Just to share my experience, I arrived at YYZ T3 yesterday around 4 pm on a full flight from Europe. They kept us on the plane for maybe 10-15 mins, but once off I got through customs in less than half an hour. Agent asked to see the pre-arrival test which she looked through carefully, then just glanced at my ArriveCan receipt and vaccination card, and put the green sticker on my passport. After I was waived through all checkpoints by showing the sticker on my passport. Yesterday was the first day the on-arrival test was not required for those getting the vaccine exemption, though the handout I got said the test is still mandatory if you're randomly selected (not sure what the chance of that happening is). After being away for 3 months, I'm relieved I was able to wait out all quarantine and post-arrival testing
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Recovering AA Exec Plat
I'm finding the language around how / where you can enter from a little bit confusing. I'm a fully-vaxxed US citizen and resident but need to come to Montreal from Spain next month (right before the Sept 7 changes unfortunately). Given the language in this "From the US" button pasted below on the "Can I come to Canada questionnaire" it looks like if I CONNECT through the U.S. to Canada I'm allowed to enter?

Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: AP 35K
Originally Posted by Jonathan Pires
What were your travel dates, out of curiosity? I just saw this update with the example on the travel.gc page and got stressed out as I am supposed to travel on the 14th after getting my vaccine on the 31st. Hoping your experience was the standard and that they won't be picky since they are the ones who specifically said 14 days in all of their other guidelines!
They've updated the wizard to be clearer on this front!

Based on the above you should be ok
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:42 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If you only went for a week why did you bother doing the 8th day covid test??
Sorry, I misspoke. I did not do the 8th day covid test. What I mean by my "second" covid test is the one I did right after I cross the border--the only one that's required. The first test (in my mind) is the one I did before crossing the border.

BTW, the results of that "second" (i.e. border) test are still not in!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.