Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Old Jul 26, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't even know why a complaint would cross your mind.
At Secondary, the Travelling Party next to me was getting really irate at being sent to get searched. After searching me, the officer said something along the lines of: "This is not the place to get upset or into arguments. If you're unhappy, file a complaint."
canadiancow and jackmaninov like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: EK Gold, Asia Miles, Aeroplan
I'm flying from YVR-SFO end of August for 48 hours, I'm fully vaxed but I believe Canadians still need to show a negative COVID test.Will a NAAT test available at SFO be sufficient for re-enter into Canada?
Old Jul 26, 2021, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by LaFerrari
I'm flying from YVR-SFO end of August for 48 hours, I'm fully vaxed but I believe Canadians still need to show a negative COVID test.Will a NAAT test available at SFO be sufficient for re-enter into Canada?
I would try to time it to get a PCR test the day/day before you leave Canada. Results come by email.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LaFerrari
Yes, and NAAT and LAMP are currently pretty fast and easy in SFO.

My last entry (Friday) was with a LAMP test I got Thursday.
LaFerrari likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: EK Gold, Asia Miles, Aeroplan
Thanks and the rapid antigen testing at YVR should be fine to enter the US?
Old Jul 26, 2021, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by valdor
Ive used the Amazon at home PCR test kit successfully to enter Canada. If you drop off your sample at a UPS location before the last daily pickup time you get your result the next day in the afternoon (a UPS next day box is included with the kit). Its 40$ including the shipping, requires no video call unlike the at home test in Canada and is a great option for trips to destinations where there arent any reliable local testing options.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Covid-...dp/B08ZR5XNBM/
could i buy one of these, carry it with me into my visit to canada and use it to test myself to validate myself for my return, into the usa?
Old Jul 26, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by abc5
could i buy one of these, carry it with me into my visit to canada and use it to test myself to validate myself for my return, into the usa?
I bring the BinaxNow tests with me to Canada to use on return to the US. I have a few of them with me now.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by abc5
Maybe, but if possible I don't think it'll make sense financially as you have to ship your sample back to their lab in KY (using the included UPS box, which only includes domestic shipping).
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Finkface
While you are correct that the test itself is the same, not all of the BinaxNow tests can be used with emeds telehealth monitored testing. Maybe something to do with the barcode? Not sure but just make sure you buy the correct test.

I understand. Personally, I would use the test kits sold directly by Emed. That guarantees the test kit you are using will be compatible with their app and process. Even if it costs you a couple of extra $.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I understand. Personally, I would use the test kits sold directly by Emed. That guarantees the test kit you are using will be compatible with their app and process. Even if it costs you a couple of extra $.
I bought mine from Optum. They are fine. I would be wary of buying them in-store though.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 6:22 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Update to my previous post: apparently my sample "could not be tested and will need to be repeated". So they'll FedEx me a new kit today or tomorrow. That will arrive... tomorrow? Sunday? Monday? So my day 1 test will be a day 6-8 test and results... 7-11 days?
Kit finally arrived today, so my Day 1 test will actually be a Day 10 test, with results not for at least a few more days. So, from a public health perspective, pretty much useless.

I'm also going to amend one of the statements from my first post on this topic:

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Doing the kit itself was not bad. At 8:15AM, I was able to make an appointment for a 9AM observation of my test. It took maybe 20 minutes, although longer than necessary because of Teams problems which aren't LifeLabs' fault.
In fact, I am going to blame LifeLabs for the Teams issues, at least partially. The problem I had the first time was that my microphone would not work, so I had to type anything I wanted to say. My microphone works fine with Teams day in and day out, but for some reason, the LifeLabs link would only open in my browser, not in Teams, and the microphone wasn't working through my browser (and I checked the privacy settings to ensure it had the necessary permissions).

Anyway, turns out that even though LifeLabs says you should download and install Teams, the link they provide contains the text "&webjoin=true", which will not open the Teams application (or ask you whether to open Teams), it will simply force it through the browser version of Teams (that includes if you open this link within Teams). I didn't figure this out at the time because we were trying to get the test done and I didn't have time, but I figured before I did this re-test, I would try to figure out what the problem was. Anyway, if you delete the &webjoin=true bit, it will ask you whether to open the link in Teams or in the browser and it should work fine.
escape4 and OSSYULYYZ like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 27, 2021 at 11:18 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Jul 27, 2021, 7:00 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I originally planned my entry into Canada 15 days after my vaccine, then Air Canada cancelled my flight and rescheduled me one day earlier so I will enter 14 days after vaccine; the flight one day later rather than one day earlier was fully booked. I thought this was no big deal because I read many from many sources that the rule is "at least 14 days". However now I have just come across this "example" on the travel.gc.ca website:
if your last dose was anytime on Thursday July 1st, then Friday July 16th would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
I guess they want to account for the possibility that someone could have had the vaccine late July 1st or perhaps in a completely different time zone, but this kind of accounting does not seem entirely aligned with the statement "have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day you enter Canada". Unfortunately, at the risk of stating the obvious it's not my own opinion which is going to matter in the end.

Given what you know and what you have seen of border agents in the last few weeks, if I show a "semi-proof" that my vaccine was early morning not late afternoon, how much leeway do they have to let this slide? Or do you think they will follow the example by the book, no exceptions? When I say semi-proof, what I mean is that I have an e-mail receipt confirming that the vaccine was done with time stamp 9am, so obviously that would imply the vaccine was done that morning sometime before 9am. But it's just an e-mail, not a hardcopy document.

It would be harsh to force hotel quarantine to someone who had the vaccine 14 days ago, when only one week later (August 9th) someone without the vaccine would not have to quarantine in a hotel because the program is being scrapped.

Unfortunately I enter in YYZ so the stories of people just walking away from YYC and YUL and ignoring rules without consequence would not apply.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 7:09 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by escape4
Given what you know and what you have seen of border agents in the last few weeks, if I show a "semi-proof" that my vaccine was early morning not late afternoon, how much leeway do they have to let this slide? Or do you think they will follow the example by the book, no exceptions? When I say semi-proof, what I mean is that I have an e-mail receipt confirming that the vaccine was done with time stamp 9am, so obviously that would imply the vaccine was done that morning sometime before 9am. But it's just an e-mail, not a hardcopy document.
I would definitely not risk coming in a day before they consider me fully vaccinated by whatever their standard is. It obviously comes down to the agent you get, but I see no reason they would let you in if you dont fully meet the criteria. The time of day you had the vaccine is irrelevant to their way of counting days.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
I originally planned my entry into Canada 15 days after my vaccine, then Air Canada cancelled my flight and rescheduled me one day earlier so I will enter 14 days after vaccine; the flight one day later rather than one day earlier was fully booked. I thought this was no big deal because I read many from many sources that the rule is "at least 14 days". However now I have just come across this "example" on the travel.gc.ca website:

I guess they want to account for the possibility that someone could have had the vaccine late July 1st or perhaps in a completely different time zone, but this kind of accounting does not seem entirely aligned with the statement "have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day you enter Canada". Unfortunately, at the risk of stating the obvious it's not my own opinion which is going to matter in the end.

It would be harsh to force hotel quarantine to someone who had the vaccine 14 days ago, when only one week later (August 9th) someone without the vaccine would not have to quarantine in a hotel because the program is being scrapped.

Unfortunately I enter in YYZ so the stories of people just walking away from YYC and YUL and ignoring rules without consequence would not apply.
Don’t do it. Delay by a day. I can tell you a dozen first-hand stories from people who figured one day wouldn’t make a difference. They were posting from their quarantine hotel room, booked at the last minute when they were forced into hotel quarantine or face a hefty fine. Same as the people who arrived three hours before the vaccine exemption came into effect. The line is rigid. You might get a very nice border guard but the odds are against it.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:05 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
In the off chance, does someone have the text of the actual law, if any? Perhaps just wishful thinking on my part, but there might be a difference between the day the vaccine exemption was introduced (no wiggle room, official legal start date), and this "14 days" thing which sounds more like 15 days simply because of an example on a website and based on an interpretation of the law, rather than the law. There was no mention of 15 days in the press release nor in the pdf file published on canada.ca outlining the new rules effective July 5th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.