Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Already booked hotel for Aug 13th - 15th weekend before the flood trickling in and started installing ArriveCan app.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'd be interested in noting what will happen with kids. In Oct., I will probably be bringing the 3yo, who, unless things change by then, won't be able to be vaccinated. Obviously, like now, they can come with me, but presumably now are supposed to quarantine. I'm kind of expecting things will change in some way by then, but we'll see. May sway my decision on if I bring her or not.
They said that children will not need to quarantine. However, they are supposed to avoid group settings for the 14 days. Also, I believe they will need day-1 and day-8 COVID tests.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC SE
Here is the appropriate page on the Government of Canada page outlining the new rules and procedures:

Government of Canada announces easing of border measures for fully vaccinated travellers
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:00 pm

Fwiw, this:
I also got scared because I came down the escalator toward the customs hall, without room to get off since there were so many people down there
is a totally legit fear. Escalators are one of the more dangerous things we accept as normal in our daily lives. I strongly recommend avoiding escalators in crowded environments like this.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Gee....Canada sounds.....um....fun...
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:55 pm

so starting august 9th to sept 7th, fully vaxxed americans are allowed to fly into canada.

but do americans still need to show proof of negative test result to board the plane flying into canada?

what about when boarding the plane to return to usa?

"However, the government announced today that it plans to launch a new surveillance program at airports and land border crossings starting Aug. 9. Fully vaccinated individuals will not need a post-arrival test unless they have been randomly selected to complete a COVID-19 molecular test."

reads like there is not going to be a need

Last edited by abc5; Jul 19, 2021 at 8:02 pm
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by abc5
so starting august 9th to sept 7th, fully vaxxed americans are allowed to fly into canada.

but do americans still need to show proof of negative test result to board the plane flying into canada?

Yes you still need proof of negative tests within 72 hours of scheduled departure to ENTER Canada. As a Canadian, I am hoping the feds will change the requirements to rapid Antigen test or remove the testing requirements for fully vaccinated Canadians and Americans, but I have a feeling the lack of an universal vaccine passport means my wish won't ever come true.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by nli007
Yes you still need proof of negative tests within 72 hours of scheduled departure to ENTER Canada. As a Canadian, I am hoping the feds will change the requirements to rapid Antigen test or remove the testing requirements for fully vaccinated Canadians and Americans, but I have a feeling the lack of an universal vaccine passport means my wish won't ever come true.
By air it’s within 72 hours of the flight’s scheduled departure time. By land it’s within 72 hours of your arrival at the border crossing.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 9:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by abc5

"However, the government announced today that it plans to launch a new surveillance program at airports and land border crossings starting Aug. 9. Fully vaccinated individuals will not need a post-arrival test unless they have been randomly selected to complete a COVID-19 molecular test."

reads like there is not going to be a need
If flying between US and Canada (vv), you need to show a negative test in both directions taken no more than 72 hours of each flight's departure.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
This was unilateral.

NOTHING has changed WRT entering USA.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, Hilton, AA, UA
How long to get arrival test results?

I’ll be flying into Montreal at the end of the month. I know I have to take a PCR test within 72 hours of the flight. I also believe I have to take a test on arrival into Canada. I’m supposed to quarantine at my hotel till I get the results. Any idea how long it takes to get results? I’ll be arriving around 5pm if it matters.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fanfoot
I’ll be flying into Montreal at the end of the month. I know I have to take a PCR test within 72 hours of the flight. I also believe I have to take a test on arrival into Canada. I’m supposed to quarantine at my hotel till I get the results. Any idea how long it takes to get results? I’ll be arriving around 5pm if it matters.
If you're fully vaccinated, you do not need to take a test on arrival.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:15 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I believe there is still arrival testing until the end of August 8. They will give you the option to do self test at home but it is strongly recommended to do the test on arrival at the airport since the wait time for self test is very long.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:17 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
He will. He said he is arriving at the end of this month. The new rules don’t come into effect until Aug. 9.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:27 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I’ll be flying into Montreal at the end of the month. I know I have to take a PCR test within 72 hours of the flight. I also believe I have to take a test on arrival into Canada. I’m supposed to quarantine at my hotel till I get the results.
No you don't. Until August 8th, as a fully vaccinated Canadian (or resident), you will need to take a test upon arrival, but you do not need to quarantine until you get the results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.