Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by newzenith1
All free. They're paid by Canadian government.
Thanks. Do you have to provide a negative PCR test result to get on a plane?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Soopergal
Yes, pre-departure negative PCR/NAAT test result is still required, and you are responsible to pay for the pre-departure test yourself (or if you're lucky, leverage a non-expired test you get previously, if it's still within 72 hours).
Old Jul 8, 2021, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Interesting. Thank you. I guess best to bring a printed version of the Ontario "receipt"
At checkin I was on my asked for test results.

Customs asked for vaccine proof (emailed version was fine) and ArriveCAN. He did not ask for PCR test results.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by Soopergal
Not to leave Canada - that is dictated by country of destination . . so it is not required to get on a plane but it is required to get on a plane to Canada.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Interesting. Thank you. I guess best to bring a printed version of the Ontario "receipt"
At checkin I was only asked for test results.

Customs asked for vaccine proof (emailed version was fine) and ArriveCAN. He did not ask for PCR test results.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis P/P
ArriveCAN app problems - solution

I have complained a couple of days ago about not being able to enter my vaccination data into the ArriveCan app. I found out what was happening today. When entering my data, I claimed an exemption as an essential worker. When I did this, the app wasn't asking about a vaccination at all. This happened with both the phone app and the on-line portal. So do not claim any other exemption if you're vaccinated.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:00 pm

Fwiw I arrived in Montreal on Tuesday. My experience was pretty smooth.

Nexus saved about an hour of lineups judging by the people I was in line with for the test.

I don't think the immigration agent looked at ArriveCan or vaccination card at all. I think he scanned my passport (even though I had already done so for Nexus) and it pulled up my ArriveCan with all the data including the vaccine photos.

They've set up a second room for arrival testing of vaccinated travelers and it's really far to walk. It's actually all the way on the second floor of the Marriott. There was a place to check your luggage on the way but I just walked past it. And when I arrived there there was a 30-40min line which was the longest part of the process.

The actual test was fast and just a nasal swab, not a sinus cavity probe

The government is indeed sending messages asking for check-ins and talking about quarantine which they warned would happen. And it occurs to me that I wasn't actually given anything confirming that I was exempt. That's a bit worrisome and probably the most shambolic part of the whole thing (that and the confusion over the start date!)

​​​​​​
Bogwoppit and andrew3000 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by redadeco
Still anxiously waiting for the first DP from a land crossing experience, especially WA-BC.
I drove across tonight, very smooth process, but crowded - wrote some details in the other thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33392704-post327.html
Old Jul 9, 2021, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by under2100
I drove across tonight, very smooth process, but crowded - wrote some details in the other thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33392704-post327.html
Awesome though no Nexus? I thought you crossed at some odd hours but if it's the middle of the day then yikes. It'll only get busier from now on.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Fwiw I arrived in Montreal on Tuesday. My experience was pretty smooth.

Nexus saved about an hour of lineups judging by the people I was in line with for the test.

I don't think the immigration agent looked at ArriveCan or vaccination card at all. I think he scanned my passport (even though I had already done so for Nexus) and it pulled up my ArriveCan with all the data including the vaccine photos.

They've set up a second room for arrival testing of vaccinated travelers and it's really far to walk. It's actually all the way on the second floor of the Marriott. There was a place to check your luggage on the way but I just walked past it. And when I arrived there there was a 30-40min line which was the longest part of the process.

The actual test was fast and just a nasal swab, not a sinus cavity probe

The government is indeed sending messages asking for check-ins and talking about quarantine which they warned would happen. And it occurs to me that I wasn't actually given anything confirming that I was exempt. That's a bit worrisome and probably the most shambolic part of the whole thing (that and the confusion over the start date!)

​​​​​​
Are they accommodating passengers with shorter than ideal transit times (to another domestic destination)? I'm planning a trip to Canada and some connections via Montreal are only 1-1.5 hours long. Given that they allow these bookings, would they be helpful in case of testing delays?
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jetplane86
Are they accommodating passengers with shorter than ideal transit times (to another domestic destination)? I'm planning a trip to Canada and some connections via Montreal are only 1-1.5 hours long. Given that they allow these bookings, would they be helpful in case of testing delays?
Rumours are that there is a separate the line for Domestic Connections. They will be given a Switch Health Kit to do at their final destination (assuming full vaccination). Int'l Connections are exempt from all testing and quarantine vaccinated or not.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis P/P
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Rumours are that there is a separate the line for Domestic Connections. They will be given a Switch Health Kit to do at their final destination (assuming full vaccination). Int'l Connections are exempt from all testing and quarantine vaccinated or not.
I hope this is really the case. I have a domestic connection at YUL tomorrow. I will report back.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
I hope this is really the case. I have a domestic connection at YUL tomorrow. I will report back.
Please do!
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Originally Posted by jetplane86
Please do report back indeed. You may want to ask the CBSA directly for a Switch Health Kit as they are the ones who give it out for the Day 8 Test and they will let you know if it is acceptable (probably is). I'm sure a CBSA Officer would just give you a Day 8 Kit to do for your Arrival Test if these rumours are true.

Personally, I would rather not have to create a Switch Health Account just to do the Arrival Test at home, but I get your point given the short transfer window.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: FB Gold
Has anyone had the experience of going through this new process with unvaccinated children yet? My fully vaccinated wife will be flying in to YVR in 10 days with my eleven-year-old and hence unvaccinated daughter. We know my daughter will need to quarantine for the two weeks, but my wife is quite anxious and is afraid they'll have trouble getting through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.