Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by Finkface
ArriveCan updated just before midnight EST last night. I entered my flight info and it then asks if your travel is exempt. Answer is “no” as it means exempt travel such as an essential worker etc. It then asks purpose of travel (returning citizen etc) and then another screen asking if are vaccinated. Answering yes takes you to a drop down menu where you select which vaccine you got. Interestingly, it shows all vaccines, not just the Canadian approved one. I have no idea what happens if you select a non-approved vax such as Sinopharm but the option is there. Once selected, it takes you to a screen where you enter your first and second dose info and then prompts you to scan your vaccine card. Pretty easy all things considered. There is now a big I next to my name on the receipt, for immunized. Will report back on how it goes after we fly back tomorrow.
Report from arrival at the land border today (from Blaine immigration lawyer) was that he was turned back as they were not yet ready to process new arrivals. He did say the ArriveCan he used was not updated but the border did not help him to get the updated info so he was turned back. Perhaps it is a bit too dramatic and he could have made it work. Good luck tomorrow!!! Looking forward to a Tuesday night update.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 11:25 am

ArriveCan updated just before midnight EST last night. I entered my flight info and it then asks if your travel is exempt. Answer is “no” as it means exempt travel such as an essential worker etc. It then asks purpose of travel (returning citizen etc) and then another screen asking if are vaccinated. Answering yes takes you to a drop down menu where you select which vaccine you got. Interestingly, it shows all vaccines, not just the Canadian approved one. I have no idea what happens if you select a non-approved vax such as Sinopharm but the option is there. Once selected, it takes you to a screen where you enter your first and second dose info and then prompts you to scan your vaccine card. Pretty easy all things considered. Will report back on how it goes after we fly back tomorrow.
I manually updated my app and entered a dummy booking to see the new format. I also noticed the vacc dropdown list and was pleased they are not distinguishing batch numbers of AZ like the EU (if yours has a Z in the middle, like 4120Z002, it's manufactured in India, not Europe, and as of now not accepted for travel in EU). I assumed the non-approved vaccs are there for future use, maybe indicating they may be added in the future. Or maybe it's so people can recognize the name of their vaccine instead of just guessing, as they are known by different names in different countries and people may just assume their vaccine X is the same as what is called vaccine Y in North America. My AZ is called Vaxzevria on my documentation, which I had never heard of before, but it appears on the list. Otherwise, I would be worried whether it was acceptable, since they take pains to emphasize the final OK to bypass quarantine is at the discretion of the interviewing officer.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Report from arrival at the land border today (from Blaine immigration lawyer) was that he was turned back as they were not yet ready to process new arrivals. He did say the ArriveCan he used was not updated but the border did not help him to get the updated info so he was turned back. Perhaps it is a bit too dramatic and he could have made it work. Good luck tomorrow!!! Looking forward to a Tuesday night update.
Updating the app doesn’t seem to work for everyone from various accounts. Had he uninstalled and reinstalled (that is what I had to do), he would have been able to upload his docs. I suspect that is why his vax status wasn’t accepted at the border. It is pretty clear that you must upload the docs prior to arrival or or you won’t be considered for quarantine exemption. Not sure how strict they will be on that once they get a few days/weeks under their belts, but for now, my guess is that is the reason he was turned away.

You may qualify for certain exemptions to quarantine and testing requirements if you:
Old Jul 5, 2021, 12:53 pm

Arrived today at YYZ. Border agents are definitely still in training mode but it went smoothly.

Showed digital proof of vaccination and ArriveCAN confirmation. Took the arrival test. That was it.

Seems they have some new checklist they need to complete and guards were consulting with a training officer on the details.

Flight and airport were practically empty so it’s not like throngs are pushing at the gates with this new change.

I was the only passenger getting the covid arrival test when I was there.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC SE
Some non-Canadian family members arriving today on compassionate grounds (to attend a funeral) were told they could enter, but would not be exempt from quarantine. They are fully-vaccinated, were able to show proof, and so on, but are still required to quarantine for 14 days, leaving only to attend the ceremony or leave the country.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Youponder
Arrived today at YYZ. Border agents are definitely still in training mode but it went smoothly.

Showed digital proof of vaccination and ArriveCAN confirmation. Took the arrival test. That was it.

Seems they have some new checklist they need to complete and guards were consulting with a training officer on the details.

Flight and airport were practically empty so it’s not like throngs are pushing at the gates with this new change.

Lucky they switched the time from 11:59pm tonight to 24 hours earlier. Maybe that’s why it was so quiet.
zrh2yvr and newzenith1 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:40 pm

so you don't have to quarantine?
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Some non-Canadian family members arriving today on compassionate grounds (to attend a funeral) were told they could enter, but would not be exempt from quarantine. They are fully-vaccinated, were able to show proof, and so on, but are still required to quarantine for 14 days, leaving only to attend the ceremony or leave the country.
Well, the new rule applies ONLY to Canadians / residents, so that sounds right. Though I am sympathetic to your family members if they were under the impression they would not have to quarantine. Were they able to skip the airport hotel?

Originally Posted by yerffej201
so you don't have to quarantine?
That is the rule for CANADIANS / residents as of 12:01 a.m. who have been vaxxed and test negative.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Well, the new rule applies ONLY to Canadians / residents, so that sounds right.
I don't think that is the case. The rules are meant to apply to Canadians or to anyone who has a legitimate exemption such as the one they have.
Yul_voyager likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have used a test taken in the US to re-enter the US within 72 hours. No problem at all.
Do you know if the arrival PCR test can be re-used for entry to the US?
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Well, the new rule applies ONLY to Canadians / residents, so that sounds right.
That is the rule for CANADIANS / residents as of 12:01 a.m. who have been vaxxed and test negative.
That's not correct. I don't know about compassionate grounds entry, but the new rule certainly applies to NON-Canadian international students with visa at DLI. Of which I am one.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by under2100
That's not correct. I don't know about compassionate grounds entry, but the new rule certainly applies to NON-Canadian international students with visa at DLL. Of which I am one.
I am pretty sure zero has changed re eligibility for entry. Just that no quarantine is necessary for fully vaccinated people who could get in last week and are the same people who can get in this week.
Yul_voyager and YYZ1313 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by jetplane86
Do you know if the arrival PCR test can be re-used for entry to the US?
I don’t see why not. So long as it within 3 days.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I don’t see why not. So long as it within 3 days.
I'm just not sure if the test results are given in a formatted document suitable for travel. Does anyone have any real life experience with this?
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I am pretty sure zero has changed re eligibility for entry. Just that no quarantine is necessary for fully vaccinated people who could get in last week and are the same people who can get in this week.
It is fully vaccinated canadians and permanent residents are exempt from quarantine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.