Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:36 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by emcampbe
My guess is the airline personal are not going to be focusing on where any test was taken, and just want to see a negative result (and the receipt that you have uploaded necessary info. into ArriveCAN). That satisfies the main requirement that Canada should be looking for, and I'd guess as long as its the right kind of test (PCR, etc.) they'd just let you board.
That's my understanding as well, and also was I was told by the Air Canada concierge.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:13 am

I have read numerous examples where the covid test must be taken in the US to prevent people from flying India>US>Canada, etc. when India flights to Canada were banned. Someone flew from Mexico to USA and drove across the border with their Mexican covid test and it wasnt accepted.
TheCanuckian and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:56 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Someone flew from Mexico to USA and drove across the border with their Mexican covid test and it wasnt accepted.
And yet, that very same Mexican covid test is accepted when flying MEX-YYZ
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by escape4
And yet, that very same Mexican covid test is accepted when flying MEX-YYZ
And Canada accepts its own covid tests on days 1 and 8 but not for a return from a 1-2 day trip to USA.
LETTERBOY, escape4 and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Europe I am not surprised either, for the same reason as Canada; most if not all of the western world probably recognizes CDC card. However in other parts of the world I would not be surprised if some do not accept this.
I've been doing some research on this and it looks like it goes well beyond Europe. I am not saying that I have a definitive list of everywhere you can (or cannot) go using the CDC card instead of a negative test result.

Just that this is very fluid and it looks to me like the CDC card will do you very well in general. Again, once the major governmental and NGO players come up with more or less universally accepted digital passport, this will change.
escape4 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
I have read numerous examples where the covid test must be taken in the US to prevent people from flying India>US>Canada, etc. when India flights to Canada were banned. Someone flew from Mexico to USA and drove across the border with their Mexican covid test and it wasnt accepted.
Those arriving by land to Canada need a PCR Test taken in the United States. If you are flying, it SHOULD NOT matter. That being said, I am not sure if the airline at the boarding gate or the CBSA/PHAC Officers on arrival will be anal about it.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...getting-tested
zrh2yvr and kalderlake like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Those arriving by land to Canada need a PCR Test taken in the United States. If you are flying, it SHOULD NOT matter. That being said, I am not sure if the airline at the boarding gate or the CBSA/PHAC Officers on arrival will be anal about it.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...getting-tested
I do remember specific rules put in to prevent transiting from India to USA to Canada that stated those transiting in USA must have a USA covid test.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
I do remember specific rules put in to prevent transiting from India to USA to Canada that stated those transiting in USA must have a USA covid test.
This was part of the ban on direct flights from India to Canada. This also applied to Pakistan which has since expired. This was likely due to many travellers from India and Pakistan faking negative tests to board. I am going to try find a link to the OIC this afternoon.

Edit 10h30: Context on travellers from India and Pakistan faking negative tests to board
Old Jun 25, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
As stupid as it sounds Canada requires a test result taken in the U.S. I would love to see someone fined for this and go to court and the judge throw it out.
travel hack for those in Vancouver.

CVM medical (on Sea Island) processes tests in Washington state.

https://covid-medical.ca/test-select-location/
EmailKid and jackmaninov like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by smes
travel hack for those in Vancouver.

CVM medical (on Sea Island) processes tests in Washington state.
Are you saying because CVM medical processes tests in the US, so even though the test sample would be taken in Canada (before I board the US-bound outgoing flight), as long as it's within T-72H, it will be accepted at the US boarding gate for my Canada-bound return flight?

Last edited by newzenith1; Jun 25, 2021 at 5:07 pm
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by newzenith1
Are you saying because CVM medical processes tests in the US, so even though the test sample would be taken in Canada (before I board the US-bound outgoing flight), as long as it's within T-72H, it will be accepted at the US boarding gate for my Canada-bound return flight?
Actually just checked out CVM's website, and they specifically stated: "Types of Covid Tests- YVR has Rapid Antigen Test Only", so that's not going to work for the Canada-bound return flight, as Canadian government specifically said "provide one of the accepted types of tests, not an antigen test".
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:30 pm

Actually just checked out CVM's website, and they specifically stated: "Types of Covid Tests- YVR has Rapid Antigen Test Only", so that's not going to work for the Canada-bound return flight, as Canadian government specifically said "provide one of the accepted types of tests, not an antigen test".
That's their location at YVR. But they have another one in Vancouver on Sea Island.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:32 pm

It doesn't specify where the sample one taken, only that it is processed at Northwest Labs in Bellingham, WA.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:20 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
I asked a similar question to an Air Canada SE100k concierge. I am flying Turkey-Egypt on one ticket (TK), then Egypt-Canada-USA on another ticket (AC). I will have my covid test in Turkey, and I asked AC if when I show up at the airport in Egypt will they deny me boarding if my covid test is not from Egypt. The agent was clear: Canada has no rule about where the test must come from, the only thing that matters is the timing of it. Then they also called the AC operations manager in Egypt to re-confirm that I will not be denied boarding.

So it does not sound like Canada has such a rule and Egypt does not have this rule either. So perhaps it is a USA rule? I would guess when you speak of airline fines, it's not the USA which would fine AC for bringing people to Canada.

I realize my example is different than yours so there could be an explanation (maybe because my final destination is USA and yours is Canada?) but nonetheless it sounds like there might be a disconnect in the information we are getting.
Canada does not allow tests from India - besides that - there is no rule where it has to come from. However, I believe there was a rule that PCR test had to be done in US for land crossings. However, the mother of my colleague who lives in Montreal (and is US Citizen) went to USA for both injections and both times crossed back with PCR test from Canada.
escape4 and OSSYULYYZ like this.

Last edited by zrh2yvr; Jun 25, 2021 at 11:25 pm
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: AC SE
The official Canada site has released a bit more information about ArriveCan and proof of vaccination.

Relevant: The new version of the app will be released on the 5th. You must upload vaccination proof to the app or they will turn you back at the border. And you must include details of both doses (when, where, type of vaccine).
tcook052, Bogwoppit and Finkface like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.