Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: MR Plat., AC*E
That is unfortunate, and I will still continue to seek clarification. It feels very wrong that an American could come to Canada from the US for medical treatment, and avoid quarantine completely, but a Canadian cannot return to Canada without being detained after receiving medical treatment not available here.
LETTERBOY and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
That is unfortunate, and I will still continue to seek clarification. It feels very wrong that an American could come to Canada from the US for medical treatment, and avoid quarantine completely, but a Canadian cannot return to Canada without being detained after receiving medical treatment not available here.
The American would only be in Canada for probably 24-48 hours max and then leave Canada and interact with very few people.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
The American would only be in Canada for probably 24-48 hours max and then leave Canada and interact with very few people.
Which is exactly the same as us, but in reverse. Travelling for <48 hrs to the US.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:36 am

Which is exactly the same as us, but in reverse. Travelling for <48 hrs to the US.
But you will be in Canada for much longer than 24-48 hours and you risk spreading covid in Canada more than the American who doesn’t know anyone and will go directly to his Dr then exit Canada.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
But you will be in Canada for much longer than 24-48 hours and you risk spreading covid in Canada more than the American who doesn’t know anyone and will go directly to his Dr then exit Canada.
I would be in quarantine with my son for the full 14 days, filing daily check-ins like every other time we have to travel together during the pandemic. Only this time, having the benefit of at least 3 PCR tests within 3 days (before leaving in each direction, plus landing again in Canada), plus probably an additional followup a few days after we're in quarantine at home. Not looking for an exemption from any quarantine.

Just feel like the possible $4000 fine and anything resembling the conditions that have been reported in the hotels so far is a punishment for someone who can't avoid travelling for medical reasons.
LETTERBOY, jlisi984 and 24left like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:11 am

I would be in quarantine with my son for the full 14 days, filing daily check-ins like every other time we have to travel together during the pandemic. Only this time, having the benefit of at least 3 PCR tests within 3 days (before leaving in each direction, plus landing again in Canada), plus probably an additional followup a few days after we're in quarantine at home. Not looking for an exemption from any quarantine.

Just feel like the possible $4000 fine and anything resembling the conditions that have been reported in the hotels so far is a punishment for someone who can't avoid travelling for medical reasons.
Reenter Canada by land for the time being until (if/when) the hotel requirement occurs for land crossings.
LETTERBOY and testycal like this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Feb 11, 2021 at 11:14 am
Old Feb 12, 2021, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tra...rder-1.5911845

in the radio (CBC) they just announced Feb 22 start date as according to Radio-Canada.
m.y likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:40 am
Original Poster

I've updated the first post with the current info.
mapleloaf likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Apparently it'll be "at the hotels' discretion" whether to charge for the full three nights if the test comes back "early" (as per the press conference).
Old Feb 12, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Apparently it'll be "at the hotels' discretion" whether to charge for the full three nights if the test comes back "early" (as per the press conference).
But wait! There’s more
”The billing will be done through the hotels and the hotels will have flexibility to adjust their billing as they see fit,” Hajdu told reporters. “The hotels will of course have a number of additional expenses related to infection prevention control, meal delivery and other aspects of providing quality care for Canadians who are serving quarantines in hotels. And so those decisions will be left at the discretion of the hotel.”
Any guesses as to which way the bill will be adjusted? Obviously doing this the right way via proper tender and procurement was taking too long. Probably the same bureaucrats that dismissed Honeywell’s offer of a dedicated N95 production line days before the world went into full PPE panic will be in charge of this new fiasco.

Dominic Colvin, the CEO of cannabis company CannaPharmaRx is suing the government over the hotel “plan”
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...rantine-hotels
jlisi984 and 24left like this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The real beneficiaries of this will be Duty Free stores. Facing the prospect of three days in the lowest-bidding airport hotel I'd most definitely be stocking up.
mikeycanuk, jlisi984 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Canadians at the land borders will be allowed back into Canada even without an acceptable negative Covid-19 test. And that will remain the case even from February 15th. But if showing up at the Canadian ports of entry without meeting the government-accepted testing requirement, there is the potential $3,000 (Canadian dollar) fine, maybe even a risk of criminal prosecution, and/or the possibility of being referred to government-designated quarantine facility.

Best to get tested in the US and budget in for the possible risk of being stuck in the US for longer than desired if unable to clear that Canadian testing requirement for entry into Canada at the time you were hoping to travel across the border initially.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 4:42 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Still a lack of clarity on this $2,000 business, which is a ridiculous number. If the government wants to charge for the test, they should specify what the fee for the test will be, and then it should be up to hotels to set pricing, and travellers to choose which of the approved hotels to stay at. It should also not be mandatory to get food from the hotel - what if I want to get food delivered from Uber Eats etc? No reason they can't come and leave that outside the hotel room door (provided the hotel allows access to rooms for delivery people). Or have a family member deliver it. Or bring it with me from wherever I'm coming from.

So if the YYC airport Marriott wants to charge $500 a day for room + meal, but the Holiday Inn Express is willing to charge $150 a day and let you get meals from outside, then that should be up to the traveller to choose.

Originally Posted by Finkface
And unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) it is tragically, unbelievably easy to claim an exemption. That is why this whole thing is an epic fail. Even I fit a couple of the categories. I have not tried to claim an exemption thus far (because I have no problem with home quarantine) but if the hotel internment comes to pass, you can bet I will. But I will still self-isolate at home as it is the right thing to do.
Have you actually read the rules? It's not that easy to claim an exemption. Working in one of the "essential" sectors isn't enough. The full text of that section is "Persons who must cross the border regularly to go to their normal place of employment, including critical infrastructure workers (Energy and Utilities, Information and Communication Technologies, Finance, Health, Food, Water, Transportation, Safety, Government and Manufacturing)." The fact that you work in food, or finance, doesn't allow you an exemption to go to Vegas for a weekend. And the fact that you go to the US for a meetings a few times a year doesn't count as crossing the border regularly to go to your "normal place of employment".
Old Feb 12, 2021, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
The real beneficiaries of this will be Duty Free stores. Facing the prospect of three days in the lowest-bidding airport hotel I'd most definitely be stocking up.
You are still only permitted one bottle per exemption which will go very quickly in 3-days of government hotel hell.
LETTERBOY and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Still a lack of clarity on this $2,000 business, which is a ridiculous number. If the government wants to charge for the test, they should specify what the fee for the test will be, and then it should be up to hotels to set pricing, and travellers to choose which of the approved hotels to stay at. It should also not be mandatory to get food from the hotel - what if I want to get food delivered from Uber Eats etc? No reason they can't come and leave that outside the hotel room door (provided the hotel allows access to rooms for delivery people). Or have a family member deliver it. Or bring it with me from wherever I'm coming from.

So if the YYC airport Marriott wants to charge $500 a day for room + meal, but the Holiday Inn Express is willing to charge $150 a day and let you get meals from outside, then that should be up to the traveller to choose.

Have you actually read the rules? It's not that easy to claim an exemption. Working in one of the "essential" sectors isn't enough. The full text of that section is "Persons who must cross the border regularly to go to their normal place of employment, including critical infrastructure workers (Energy and Utilities, Information and Communication Technologies, Finance, Health, Food, Water, Transportation, Safety, Government and Manufacturing)." The fact that you work in food, or finance, doesn't allow you an exemption to go to Vegas for a weekend. And the fact that you go to the US for a meetings a few times a year doesn't count as crossing the border regularly to go to your "normal place of employment".
Oh, I have definitely read it. There are so many more exemptions. Far more than work-related. An athlete and support staff, medical care within 36 hours of returning etc. So many reasons.

You may be exempt from the mandatory quarantine requirements under certain conditions, including if you:
  • provide essential services
  • maintain the flow of essential goods or people
  • are receiving medical care within 36 hours of entering Canada (non-related to COVID-19)
And If you are in one of these situations, you may be exempt from mandatory quarantine.

Medical and health care

• A person who enters Canada for the purpose of receiving essential medical services or treatments within 36 hours of entering Canada, other than services or treatments related to COVID-19

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.