Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
Given the recent Government of Canada`s announcement that travellers entering Canada will only require a rapid antigen test and not a PCR test, would anyone foresee concerns using the SwitchHealth Rapid antigen test kit?
Old Feb 23, 2022, 3:52 am
ec1

Out of interest, if one was to test positive on arrival in Alberta but was due to leave 5 days later - what would the requirements for quarantine be? 14 days or would you be able to leave after 5 given that's what Alberta's requirements are currently. I have a business meeting 6 days after back home and wondering what are the chances this could have to get postponed in a worst case scenario.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ec1
Out of interest, if one was to test positive on arrival in Alberta but was due to leave 5 days later - what would the requirements for quarantine be? 14 days or would you be able to leave after 5 given that's what Alberta's requirements are currently. I have a business meeting 6 days after back home and wondering what are the chances this could have to get postponed in a worst case scenario.
You can leave Canada.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by qrctraveller
Given the recent Government of Canada`s announcement that travellers entering Canada will only require a rapid antigen test and not a PCR test, would anyone foresee concerns using the SwitchHealth Rapid antigen test kit?
I've been searching for an answer as well. Switch Health did not provide any answers when I asked them the same question. I've parsed the media releases and posts that indicate that the test must be approved in the country in which it was purchased. So, theoretically, since the test was purchased in Canada, it *should* be valid, regardless of where it is used. Having said that, I'll wait for the official changes to be published to make sure that they do not add any more caveats.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Came back yesterday from Europe via US, CSBA said no need to isolate awaiting results since coming from USA. No pamphlet this time.
*shrug* Who am I to argue.

Tests took 15 mins, huge lineup formed behind us too, hopefully last time for this nonsense.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:47 pm
ec1

As it currently stands, we are are due to land in the early hours of the morning. Our hotel room isn't ready till 4pm. Is this a potential issue in our quarantine plan? The hotel doesn't have availability for the night before. What's the best way to do this?
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by ec1
As it currently stands, we are are due to land in the early hours of the morning. Our hotel room isn't ready till 4pm. Is this a potential issue in our quarantine plan? The hotel doesn't have availability for the night before. What's the best way to do this?
No one needs to know.

As a number of the prior posts are indicating, the Canadian government's interest in maintaining the veneer of Covid vigilance, if it was ever sincere, is a balloon rapidly losing air. You'll be fine.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ec1
Absolutely no reason to be concerned. As another commenter said, no one needs to know. But even then, you’re given plenty of time to get to your place of accommodation.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Based on what I have been reading, currently, to enter Canada, you could have a pcr test up to 72 hours before you enter or a rapid antigen test 24 hours before, correct? Also, you are no longer required to quarantine if fully vaccinated.

If that is the case, if I were to take a two day trip to Canada at the end of March, is it still not advisable?

Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by hoangb
Based on what I have been reading, currently, to enter Canada, you could have a pcr test up to 72 hours before you enter or a rapid antigen test 24 hours before, correct? Also, you are no longer required to quarantine if fully vaccinated.
Correct starting on Monday (new rules kick in on 28th).

PCR only until then.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Stanbury
The GOC site now says:

Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) ...

Les voyageurs auront la possibilité d’utiliser le résultat d’un test de détection rapide des antigčnes de la COVID-19 (effectué le jour avant leur vol ou leur arrivée ŕ la frontičre terrestre ou par voie maritime) ...

which sounds hopeful -- day before is more flexible than 24 hours . BUT (a) this is still (just) the Press Release / Communiqué de presse and (b) IANAL, but a strict reading of the the wording suggests that a test on the day of flight would not be allowed. I would hope and assume that is wrong, but it means means there is still wordsmithing to do ...
Do we have any official confirmation yet on whether it is the day before or 24 hours before? I searched for an OIC but couldn't see anything on this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by hoangb

If that is the case, if I were to take a two day trip to Canada at the end of March, is it still not advisable? Thanks

Antigen is anytime the calendar day before or day of travel starting 2/28. Not 24 hours.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Finkface
Do we have any official confirmation yet on whether it is the day before or 24 hours before? I searched for an OIC but couldn't see anything on this.
The language has been changed from 24 hours to day before. Which is better.
Bogwoppit and Finkface like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:21 pm

Hey this a bit of a wildcard timing question, I’m leaving tomorrow on the 27th to Canada, the new rules come into effect 00:01EST on the 28th. But I arrive at 23:45PM PST. Will I be fine with just the antigen test?
or will they deny boarding?

Last edited by spark787; Feb 26, 2022 at 4:16 pm
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by spark787
or will they deny boarding?
By my math you would be OK, but of course there's the GA or whoever does the passport check

Last edited by EmailKid; Feb 26, 2022 at 7:57 pm Reason: Fixed quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.