Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Another data point from YUL:
Arrival test Saturday 6pm
Result Thursday 1pm
= 115 hours
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by airoli
Another data point from YUL:
Arrival test Saturday 6pm
Result Thursday 1pm
= 115 hours
Not sure why you’re angry. I know someone who landed in YUL Saturday at 5pm and still no results. :P
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
My data point for a YUL arrival:

Arrived Jan 2nd at 12:30pm. Zero line to get to Nexus (regular lines looked empty as well). Selected for test, no line. Off the plane to terminal exit in less than 20 min.
~72 hrs after arrival: Received a PHAC email stating the requirement to report at my place of isolation within 48 hours and to obey the instructions that were given on arrival (in my case, NONE!)
~90 hrs after arrival: Robo calls from PHAC to confirm that I "sent my day 1 test". This is particularly aggravating as the phone call asks for you to confirm your month and year of birth (ie. personal information). There are several Canada.ca web-sites explicitly say to never to divulge personal information to a call you didn't initiate with the government. Better answer the next robo CRA and CBSA phone calls as well ;-)
99 hrs after arrival: Received test results from Dynacare (negative). Taxpayer dollars well spent! I assume we will find out the cost of this useful service to the tax-payer about the same time we finally see the contracted costs for the vaccines...
I entered through YYZ on Saturday Jan 8 and got the email on Tuesday too. The requirement to report at place of isolation within 48 hours was not mentioned at the website at all!
COVID-19 vaccinated travellers entering Canada - Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel.gc.ca
I did call PHAC after I got the email (which is approx 72 hours). No follow up call from PHAC or anyone else up till now.
I did receive my PCR test result from switch health on Tuesday at 3am, which was a lot faster than I expected.

At YYZ, they were giving people the option to either line up or get a home test kit. I lined up because I knew it would take forever for the mail in option and specimen may get damaged during shipment and long wait.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by ericw
I entered through YYZ on Saturday Jan 8 and got the email on Tuesday too. The requirement to report at place of isolation within 48 hours was not mentioned at the website at all!
COVID-19 vaccinated travellers entering Canada - Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel.gc.ca
I did call PHAC after I got the email (which is approx 72 hours). No follow up call from PHAC or anyone else up till now.
I did receive my PCR test result from switch health on Tuesday at 3am, which was a lot faster than I expected.

At YYZ, they were giving people the option to either line up or get a home test kit. I lined up because I knew it would take forever for the mail in option and specimen may get damaged during shipment and long wait.
I entered YYZ on Jan 8. Haven't gotten results yet. Ridiculous.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
PDX to YYC to LHR

Am i getting this right that i need to clear Canada border and customs for this connection via Calgary. Is this this really true. To enter UK i don't need to have pre departure test but to enter Canada border yes and it had to be PCR. Can anyone confirm how US to international connections are done
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:31 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by felicidad76
Am i getting this right that i need to clear Canada border and customs for this connection via Calgary. Is this this really true.
That's what I told you in the other thread.

YYC no longer has any separation between domestic and international. It's like transiting through any US airport. If you want sterile ITI transit, you have to fly through YYZ, YUL, or YVR (I think YUL and YVR are both up and running these days, but that's off topic to this thread).

To enter UK i don't need to have pre departure test but to enter Canada border yes and it had to be PCR. Can anyone confirm how US to international connections are done
Canada doesn't require PCR tests, it requires molecular tests, of which PCR is one variety.

There is a detailed thread on Canadian entry/testing requirements where you should ask any questions relating to testing.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: Mileage plus
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I entered YYZ on Jan 8. Haven't gotten results yet. Ridiculous.
this is clearly meant to punish people who decide to travel. In my own opinion, as per provincial regulations, people can go out after 5 days if they’re fully vaxxed.

i don’t think the arguments of the govt would stand in court. This is clear infringement on the liberty of people. And i’ve been one to follow the rules from the beginning.
nnn and exbayern like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: Mileage plus
By the way, was an order in council issued regarding this new forced quarantine?
exbayern and jlisi984 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 6:33 am

Thank you. But when I asked Air Canada they dent me the link which is again confusing. It sends me to YYC airport where there is only ITI transfer option (not USAtoI, I presume it is the same) and it states the following:
  1. See a border services officer to clear Canada customs. You are not required to clear Public Health Agency of Canada (that includes arrivals testing or quarantine in Calgary) as you are not exiting the secure area or entering Canada. *Note: you may subject to additional screening.
But does it mean it will not require pre-departure test or just testing on arrivals?
I am so sorry to ask all of those, but it is preposterous AC did not say international transfers are pretty much impossible in YYC?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

YYC no longer has any separation between domestic and international. It's like transiting through any US airport. If you want sterile ITI transit, you have to fly through YYZ, YUL, or YVR (I think YUL and YVR are both up and running these days, but that's off topic to this thread).

Canada doesn't require PCR tests, it requires molecular tests, of which PCR is one variety.

There is a detailed thread on Canadian entry/testing requirements where you should ask any questions relating to testing.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Just because the terminal is now setup (stupidly) in this way, it doesn't mean it's not possible. Maybe they don't care if someone books a throwaway ITI just to walk out of concourse D, how many people would do that anyway just to avoid a test? Do you know anyone who's tried to do this since D became a mixed domestic/international wing and been denied?

felicidad76 If it were me (and your risk tolerance maybe lower) I would proceed with my journey WITHOUT a predeparture molecular test. TIMATIC links to the government of Canada website which says you do not need one.

Transit through Canada including to and from Alaska – Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel.gc.ca
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:43 am

I think i will follow your suggestion as timatic indeed says i do not need one. And air Canada sold the ticked like any other, even on their website saying test is not required .

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Just because the terminal is now setup (stupidly) in this way, it doesn't mean it's not possible. Maybe they don't care if someone books a throwaway ITI just to walk out of concourse D, how many people would do that anyway just to avoid a test? Do you know anyone who's tried to do this since D became a mixed domestic/international wing and been denied?

felicidad76 If it were me (and your risk tolerance maybe lower) I would proceed with my journey WITHOUT a predeparture molecular test. TIMATIC links to the government of Canada website which says you do not need one.

Transit through Canada including to and from Alaska – Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel.gc.ca
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by felicidad76
I think i will follow your suggestion as timatic indeed says i do not need one. And air Canada sold the ticked like any other, even on their website saying test is not required .
You should be okay. But if it was me I’d probably just do a free drive-thru Walgreens test (ID-NOW) and possibly save myself some bother.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:09 am

14 year old with vaccine exemption

My son had a serious reaction to his first Pfizer vaccine (14 year old) and we're are now in the process of completing the NHS exemption process. Under normal circumstances he'd need to have 2 doses of the vaccine..... Is anybody aware of whether he'll be allowed entry into Canada (Calgary) with an NHS exemption or are we likely to encounter issues? many thanks Martin
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:05 am

How likely is the on arrival testing to be scrapped?

I’m desperate to visit next month but there’s no way I’m spending 5 days confined to a hotel when I want to be on holiday.

The requirement for previous positive tests being molecular is also ridiculous. I couldn’t get a PCR test when I tested positive, so only have a rapid test positive result…
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:14 am
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Hi everyone.

My question relates to travel from the US to Canada and pertains to pre-arrival Covid testing as well as quarantine requirements while awaiting post-arrvial Covid test results.

Here is a summary of our situation:

* We are planning a ski trip to Whistler in March
* Everyone in our party is US resident (all but one have dual US/CA citizenship, the remaining person is US citizen only)
* Everyone in our party received three doses of the Moderna vaccine
* We will not have travelled outside the US or Canada during the 14-day period that immediately precedes our proposed entry date into Canada
* We plan to fly to Seattle and drive up north; hence we will cross the border by land both ways.

Since I have not recently followed the latest changes in regulations, I would greatly appreciate if someone more knowledgeable than me could confirm that my following understanding is correct:

1. We all need negative pre-arrival Covid tests with samples taken no earlier than 72 hours before arriving at the Canadian border;
2. NAAT tests done by Walgreens are accepted as pre-arrival Covid tests;
3. We might be randomly selected for a post-arrival Covid test upon entering Canada;
4. Even if we are randomly selected, we do not have to quarantine while awaiting the results because during the 14 days prior we will not have traveled outside the US or Canada;
5. Since we are crossing by land, in case we are randomly selected, we will likely receive a "take-home" test kit with a requirement that the test be done within 24 hours; this means that we will do the test at our hotel via video conference as opposed to having to do it in person at the border;
6. Upon return to the US, no Covid test is required because we will be entering the US by land as opposed to air.

Thank you, in advance, for your assistance!

Last edited by txp; Jan 16, 2022 at 10:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.