Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
Just want to double-check with the experts since my trip is now shorter than I had booked originally:

I'm flying YVR-SFO around 1300 on Saturday, December 18 (I will have done the rapid Antigen test the day before).

I am flying back to Canada on Monday, December 20 around 1200.

Am I correct in saying that I won't need to do a PCR test in San Francisco since it's under the 72 hours (48-ish hours, actually)?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Correct…as of now.
TTC900Rocket likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
Thank you! I was going to do the PCR on my original itinerary as I was headed to Europe, but I nixed that part of the trip and will just head back home to YYZ. I'll go ahead and cancel the appointment I had made at SFO's testing centre.

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Correct…as of now.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
From what I've seen, the revised list was for all foreign countries instead of just focusing on those African countries. We'll see...
so quarantine for everyone? when is this getting announced?
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
Two new announcements being made now:

1. Removal of the list of 10 countries with a variant of concern
2. Re-instate pre-arrival PCR test for all trips, including under 72 hours.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
So you have to get a test before traveling to show that you did not get infected during your travel... I am just hopeless before that amount of stupidity...
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
The Health Minister is saying during the Q&A that the PCR test will need to be conducted abroad... Said this is to "discourage" travel...
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:47 am

To complicate things further, the test must be taken outside of Canada, so same-day or overnight trips are out of the question...
tecate55 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by nomad1972
To complicate things further, the test must be taken outside of Canada, so same-day or overnight trips are out of the question...
Right. let’s go and punish Canadians because clearly they’re the source of the problem.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:53 am

Mandatory random testing capacity is only 21k/day. DUH!
Old Dec 17, 2021, 10:53 am

I arrived back to YUL on Tuesday 14th, got this email today. The 14 day diary was never mentioned at all on arrival. PLus the rules concerning kids seem stronger than before.

----------------------

La version française suit

An Emergency Order under the Quarantine Act that applies to all travellers arriving in Canada is currently in force. As such, you are required by law to follow the directions you were provided at the port of entry regarding your quarantine and testing obligations.

This message is to remind you that you must follow the requirements outlined in this email that apply to your situation, as were determined when you entered Canada.

IF YOU:
  1. Were randomly selected to complete COVID-19 molecular testing; AND,
  2. In the 14 days before your arrival in Canada, you were in a country OTHER THAN Canada, the United States, or a country of concern for the Omicron variant, including Botswana, Egypt, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa and Zimbabwe
THEN, YOU MUST:
  • quarantine for 14 days starting on your date of entry in Canada OR until you have received a negative test result from the day 1 COVID-19 molecular test, whichever comes first;
  • report your arrival at your place of quarantine within 48 hours after entering Canada by calling the Public Health Agency of Canada at 1-833-641-0343; and
  • report your COVID-19 symptoms status daily for 14 days starting on your date of entry in Canada OR until you have received a negative test result by calling the Public Health Agency of Canada at 1-833-641-0343
IF YOU:
  1. Were randomly selected to complete COVID-19 molecular testing; AND,
  2. In the 14 days before your arrival in Canada, you were ONLY in the United States or Canada
THEN, YOU MUST:
  • complete the DAY 1 test within 24 hours of entering Canada;
  • for the 14 days after you entered Canada, monitor yourself for symptoms of COVID-19; and
  • maintain a list of the names and contact information of every person you have come into close contact with during the 14-day period AND all of the places you have been
IF YOU:
  1. Were NOT randomly selected to complete COVID-19 molecular testing
THEN, YOU MUST:
  • for the 14 days after you entered Canada, monitor yourself for symptoms of COVID-19; and
  • maintain a list of the names and contact information of every person you have come into close contact with during the 14-day period AND all of the places you have been
For the 14 days after you entered Canada, if you test positive for COVID-19 or develop symptoms, you must:
  • immediately isolate yourself from other members of your household for a period of 10 days that starts from the day you received your positive test result, swabbed your nose, or developed symptoms;
  • report your symptoms or positive test to the Minister of Health by calling 1-833-641-0343; and
  • contact your local public health authority.
REQUIREMENTS FOR UNVACCINATED CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 12
For 14 days after entering Canada, unvaccinated children under 12 who entered Canada with vaccinated guardians, must:
  • complete COVID-19 molecular tests on day 1 and day 8 of entry to Canada (unless under the age of 5);
  • avoid contact with vulnerable persons;
  • not attend school, camp or day care;
  • avoid crowded public settings including parks and sporting events;
  • wear a mask AT ALL TIMES in both indoor and outdoor public settings when these spaces cannot be avoided; and
  • remain with their fully vaccinated parent or guardian as much as possible.
  • Further details are available here: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...guardians.html.
A screening officer may contact you to confirm your compliance with these requirements. Failure to comply may result in fines of up to $5000 and/or transfer to a designated quarantine facility.

We urge you to be diligent in meeting these requirements; this will help slow the spread of the virus and save lives.

Thank you for continuing to do your part!

FOR MORE INFORMATION

General InquiriesTest Inquiries – contact the service provider that is responsible for the jurisdiction in which you arrived into Canada:PERSONAL INFORMATION
The personal information you provide to the Government of Canada is governed in accordance with the Privacy Act.

For more details on how your personal information is collected, used and disclosed by the Public Health Agency of Canada to administer and enforce the Quarantine Act and the Emergency Orders made under it, please visit this website: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...cy-notice.html.
Un décret d’urgence sous la Loi sur la mise en quarantaine qui s’applique à tous les voyageurs arrivant au Canada est actuellement en vigueur. Vous êtes donc tenu par la loi de suivre les instructions qui vous ont été fournies au point d’entrée concernant vos obligations en matière de quarantaine et de dépistage.

Ce message vous rappelle que vous devez suivre les exigences décrites dans ce courriel qui s’appliquent à votre situation, telles qu’elles ont été déterminées lorsque vous êtes entré au Canada.

SI :
  1. Vous avez été sélectionné de façon aléatoire pour effectuer un test de dépistage moléculaire de la COVID-19; ET que,
  2. dans les 14 jours précédant votre entrée au Canada, vous étiez dans une pays AUTRE QUE le Canada, les États-Unis ou un pays source de préoccupation pour le variant Omicron, incluant le Botswana, l’Égypte, l’Eswatini, le Lesotho, le Malawi, le Mozambique, la Namibie, le Nigéria, l’Afrique du Sud et le Zimbabwe
VOUS DEVEZ :
  • effectuer une quarantaine de 14 jours à compter de votre date d’entrée au Canada OU jusqu’à ce que vous ayez reçu un résultat négatif du test moléculaire COVID-19 du jour 1, selon la première éventualité;
  • signaler votre arrivée à votre lieu de quarantaine dans les 48 heures suivant votre entrée au Canada en appelant l’Agence de la santé publique du Canada au 1-833-641-0343; et
  • signaler quotidiennement l’état de vos symptômes de la COVID-19 pendant 14 jours à compter de votre date d’entrée au Canada OU jusqu’à ce que vous ayez reçu un résultat de test négatif en appelant l’Agence de la santé publique du Canada au 1-833-641-0343.
SI :
  1. Vous avez été sélectionné de façon aléatoire pour effectuer un test de dépistage moléculaire de la COVID-19; ET que,
  2. dans les 14 jours précédant votre entrée au Canada, vous étiez SEULEMENT aux États-Unis et au Canada
VOUS DEVEZ :
• compléter le test de dépistage moléculaire de la COVID-19 dans les 24 heures suivant votre entrée au Canada;
• pendant les 14 jours suivant votre entrée au Canada, surveillez l’apparition de symptômes de la COVID-19 ; et
• tenir une liste des noms et des coordonnées de toutes les personnes avec lesquelles vous avez été en contact étroit au cours de la période de 14 jours ET de tous les endroits où vous avez été.
SI :
  1. Vous N’AVEZ PAS été sélectionné de façon aléatoire pour effectuer un test de dépistage moléculaire de la COVID-19
VOUS DEVEZ :
  • pendant les 14 jours suivant votre entrée au Canada, surveillez l’apparition de symptômes de la COVID-19; et
  • tenir une liste des noms et des coordonnées de toutes les personnes avec lesquelles vous avez été en contact étroit au cours de la période de 14 jours ET de tous les endroits où vous avez été.
Pendant les 14 jours suivant votre entrée au Canada, si vous obtenez un résultat positif à un test de dépistage de la COVID-19 ou si des symptômes apparaissent, vous devez :
  • vous isoler immédiatement des autres membres de votre foyer pendant une période de 10 jours qui débute à partir du jour où vous avez reçu votre résultat de test positif, ou complété votre test de dépistage ou de l’apparition des symptômes;
  • signaler vos symptômes ou votre résultat de test positif au ministre de la Santé en composant le 1-833-641-0343;
  • communiquer avec l’autorité de santé publique de votre région.
EXIGENCES POUR LES ENFANTS NON VACCINÉS DE MOINS DE 12 ANS
Pendant les 14 jours suivant leur entrée au Canada, les enfants non vaccinés de moins de 12 ans qui sont entrés au Canada avec des tuteurs vaccinés doivent :
  • effectuer des tests moléculaires de dépistage de la COVID-19 aux jours 1 et 8 de l’entrée au Canada (sauf si âgés de moins de 5 ans);
  • éviter tout contact avec des personnes vulnérables;
  • ne pas fréquenter l’école, le camp ou la garderie;
  • éviter les lieux publics achalandés, y compris les parcs et les événements sportifs;
  • porter un masque EN TOUT TEMPS dans les lieux publics intérieurs et extérieurs lorsque ces espaces ne peuvent être évités; et
  • rester avec leur parent ou tuteur entièrement vacciné autant que possible.
  • De plus amples détails sont disponibles ici: https://www.canada.ca/fr/sante-publi...-vaccines.html.
Un agent de contrôle désigné pourrait vous appeler pour s’assurer que vous suivez ces exigences. Tout manquement à cet égard peut entraîner des amendes pouvant aller jusqu’à 5 000 $ et/ou le transfert vers une installation de quarantaine désignée.

Nous vous prions de respecter avec diligence ces exigences; cela permettra de ralentir la propagation du virus et de sauver des vies.

Merci de continuer à faire votre part!

POUR DE PLUS AMPLES RENSEIGNEMENTS

Renseignements générauxRenseignements sur le tests – communiquez avec le fournisseur de services qui est responsable de la juridiction dans laquelle vous êtes arrivé au Canada:RENSEIGNEMENTS PERSONNELS
Les renseignements personnels que vous fournissez au gouvernement du Canada sont régis conformément à la Loi sur la protection des renseignements personnels.

Pour obtenir plus de renseignements sur la façon dont vos renseignements personnels sont recueillis, utilisés et communiqués par l’Agence de la santé publique du Canada pour l’exécution et l’application de la Loi sur la mise en quarantaine et des décrets d’urgence pris en vertu de celle-ci, rendez-vous au https://www.canada.ca/fr/sante-publi...arrivecan.html.

La version française suit

An Emergency Order under the Quarantine Act that applies to all travellers arriving in Canada is currently in force. As such, you are required by law to follow the directions you were provided at the port of entry regarding your quarantine and testing obligations.

This message is to remind you that you must follow the requirements outlined in this email that apply to your situation, as were determined when you entered Canada.

IF YOU:
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I am still at a loss here:
How is it legal (equal treatment before the law etc.) to randomly select some travellers for testing upon arrival, and then impose a quarantine requirement on those travellers, and only those travellers?

Say: Brothers Bob and Doug are both fully vaxxed Canadians, and they arrive on the same flight from France, valid negative PCR tests in hand. Bob is then selected for a random test, and has to quarantine at home for up to 14 days until some lab sends him his negative test result. Doug is free to go home, buy a 2-4 and have a bunch of friends over to watch the game. Take off!
Old Dec 17, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Jeez. So the clown show continues.
Originally Posted by txp
I don't expect a full prohibition though. I do expect more testing upon arrival for everyone. And perhaps an expanded list of countries from where non-citizens may not enter.
I wouldn't mind testing upon arrival for everyone + maybe a do-at-home kit at Day 8-10.

Originally Posted by txp
Would it help if you contact the Canadian High Commission in London to express your dissatisfaction? I live in the US and I considering contacting my local Canadian consulate though I am not sure if this will achieve anything. Alternatively, your Canadian relatives could contact their MP and express their views as citizens.
txp, not sure what good that will do.

All MP cares about is their re-election and the people have spoken less than 90 days ago

1. Removal of the list of 10 countries with a variant of concern
The Health Minister is saying during the Q&A that the PCR test will need to be conducted abroad... Said this is to "discourage" travel...
Ya, no same-day or short cross-border trips with test outside Canada.
Can't the feds just charge a $250 a head "Solidarity Tax on Int'l Corona Travel" and be done with it.
Use it to pay for On-Arrival testing, additional testing kits, expand testing capability and if theres any change left pay for some of the debt.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 17, 2021 at 2:26 pm Reason: Off topic political
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:58 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
You can get a Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs) at Walgreens and get the results back in a few hours. You can sign up at Walgreens.com and chose the IDNow test.

The NAAT test is acceptable for entry into Canada.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 3:22 pm

"Re-instate pre-arrival PCR test for all trips, including under 72 hours."

Have they changed the entry testing requirements again? The government website still says any molecular test is accepted including PCR, RT-LAMP and NAAT
Old Dec 17, 2021, 3:25 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
I listened to the press conference. Minister Duclos *did not* rule out additional restrictions in the days and weeks to come.

Two additional questions of relevance:

Q1: Will you implement mandatory testing on people arriving from the United States?
Answer: The US has 10 times fewer Omicron cases compared to Canada, so the situation is different.
My interpretation -- not anytime soon. But random selection is still possible.

Q2: Why not tougher restrictions on American tourists?
Answer: Again, it all has to do with the number of per-capita Omicron cases. This is why we focus on air arrivals from these other countries.

Last edited by txp; Dec 17, 2021 at 6:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.